Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

thanks but the powerline networking thing wouldn't do anything for me because i actually already have ethernet going up to the 2nd floor, i just want the router in the basement for several reasons (fios coming into my house via ethernet, not coaxial, so i need to have my router near the fios ONT box; also i'd still want good 5ghz range in my basement/2nd floor/backyard).

i didn't know if there was some wacky powered antenna i could buy and tap it into the terminal on the router, or something i could place on the 2nd floor that would send out a 5ghz signal while not having to switch SSIDs and stuff

i have ethernet running up to the second floor of my house as well and what i do is run ethernet from the fios box up to the wireless router on the second floor and then a separate line from the same router back down into a gig-e switch in the basement

works for me

e:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah it's called get a second AP or a router set to AP mode, give it the same SSID and password

yeah this would also work, I know people that swear by these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XXMUCQ/

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

ty; it's a good idea and i could do that then the 5ghz signal would be poor on the first floor/basement/backyard tho. thank you though :shobon:

yeah, depends on where you need it most i guess. i don't have a finished basement so i don't need as much range. putting the AP on the second floor made the most sense for a 3 story house

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
is there a compelling reason you're insisting on 5ghz? are you trying to blanket your entire house with 802.11ac?

unifi makes an ac AP but it's really expensive. personally i would put your existing router in the most central location where you actually need the speed and get a unifi or two to fill in the gaps around the edges (they support 802.11n so they're not exceedingly slow or anything)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i think op is saying that he'll get a higher quality video stream, and therefore fewer compression artifacts in his video

personally 802.11n works fine for me so idk

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah netflix tops out at 6Mbps for their "Super HD" (lol) quality

my guess is that there's just more congestion in the 2.4ghz bands or op chose a bad channel

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
basically you should only use channels 1, 6, and 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Channels_and_frequencies posted:

Confusion often arises over the amount of channel separation required between transmitting devices. 802.11b was based on DSSS modulation and utilized a channel bandwidth of 22 MHz, resulting in three "non-overlapping" channels (1, 6, and 11). 802.11g was based on OFDM modulation and utilized a channel bandwidth of 20 MHz. This occasionally leads to the belief that four "non-overlapping" channels (1, 5, 9 and 13) exist under 802.11g, although this is not the case as per 17.4.6.3 Channel Numbering of operating channels of the IEEE Std 802.11 (2012) which states "In a multiple cell network topology, overlapping and/or adjacent cells using different channels can operate simultaneously without interference if the distance between the center frequencies is at least 25 MHz."