Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
whats the best way to schedule youtube downloading overnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

oh, well if that's the case, then surely the same can be said for verizon, frontier, and centurylink. i mean, why would you even include those others in your list? surely it's not like verizon is basically two of the rbocs, and you certainly wouldn't be able to draw a hypothetical line from ma bell to us west to qwest to centurylink. haha can you imagine \

thanks for listing a whole bunch of companies that are not part of at&t now, thus debunking notoroious bsd's stupid poo poo about how "at&t has taken over" hth

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in other news, nobody gives a gently caress about a regional telco for a midsize city in ohio. it doesn't tell us very much about national trends in ISPs.

in fact one might argue that cinci bell is the sort of firm that has been largely eliminated from the national market

one would be a loving moron to argue that because that was never a widespread thing. the internet market has always been dominated by a few very large isps and then a smattering of tons of tiny isps that rarely top a few thousand subscribers. and the small isps have always been ireelvant because even a small-time "big" isp still has several orders of magnitude more customers at hand

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
magic mouse is great if you want carpal tunnel

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

lol if you think powerpc to intel is more than a very minor part of apple's recent success

also lol if you only started liking apple in 2006

did valeyard ever get his "baby's first excel workbook" problem sorted out?

it did temporarily halt the ongoing decline in mac sales, even though they returned to doing that several years on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

if i put the router on the 1st floor of the house i get lovely 5ghz on the second floor still. so there's no point in moving it up one floor.

i am not complaining about 5ghz; i know it's not supposed to penetrate walls, i was just wondering what the best 5ghz access point is without dropping another triple digits

if you really want 5ghz on other floors, buy one or more replacement antennas on a long cord, and run that up to the next floor. you may need an amplifier with this.

this shouldn't cost more than like $60. you may need to double check that the antenna u buy supports mimo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

so, what is it? i know lmao = laughing my rear end off

a lot of older art of gray aliens made them look like they were going ayyyyy

thats it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
well they're voxels with a timedimension to them, instead of pure space.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

okay.. my mom's cousin left a voicemail asking for advice getting a new computer, and she said I'M NOT GETTING MAC. so she sees me as the go-to-guy for computer advice, but i haven't touched a PC for years. she's like "i don't know if i should get a dell, or a toshiba". how the gently caress am i supposed to know?

so anyone know of a dependable cheap PC she could get these days?

get an dell and make here buy the highest level warranty thing because that includes next business day repair stuff from dell if she fucks things up hth

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

gawd she's really worried because she "doesn't know how to use macs" but all she'll have to do is turn it on and hit the little safari browser icon and boom that's pretty much it

really funny though she said "i heard smart phones and PCs aren't really compatible and it's the same thing with iPhones and Macs. is this true?"

please dont encourage people to use a lovely browser thanks

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yeah its really sweet how the dell accidental protection just straight up covers everything short of intentionally taking a hammer to the device.

though i do have a dell xps laptop that owns because it was just the upper-mid-range studio series renamed to xps

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
there is never a reason to get a chromebook, chrome already runs on real computers

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

butt dickus posted:

a chromebook is cheap and hard for retards to gently caress up

so is windows

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
rip tragic macpad

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

i didn't know crippling your own wrists was your fetish

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

the program is 'switchresx' and it works ok but it's $20 lol

welcome to os x, where most normal os functions are only available as ludicrously expensive and unsupported third party programs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

how did NES do fade to black transitions and the reverse of that? it seems like the NES did over enough colors to get darker versions of the current palette especially for a smooth transition

if you look closely at a lot of games that use that effect, they're just halfassing it through close-enough palette changes, and some others will do it by setting palettes to just change some of the pixles straight to black as part of the fade.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

ah, yeah i think i saw the 2nd one in chip n dale rescue rangers

really looks like a smoother transition than that though so i guess it's an effective trick

for the most part they make it look smooth because you get used to the palette limitations of the system when you're playing in it, and also many games take the time to make the transition effect stay on screen for a very short time so there's less time to notice that, say, brigth green is fading to black by way of blue and brown.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

the palette is not in any convenient order to my knowledge so they would probably have to make a list of what colors turn to what darker ones

yeah thats simple though, since there's only 54 or 55 unique colors available on the NES (it's technically 64 colors, but depending on who you ask 8 or 9 of them are identical to at least one other palette entry on display)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

a good representation:

for comparison

Atari 2600 128 color palette with an additional depiction of how close you could get the bird sample image to look using the actual hardware (which isn't done for the nes because noone was able to mess around with the various sprites and backgrounds enough to recreate it)

and this is the basic 24 bit color test image and 24 bit color chart you see for the palette comparisons:

and just for fun, simulations of how the test parrot could be depicted using the built in color palettes you could switch for regular game boy games on a Game Boy Color or Game Boy Advance:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

for the nes i dont even think a screen could have all the colors used with the combo of a background color, tiles and sprites and i believe tiles and sprites can only use 3 colors plus a transparent

yep, the atari 2600 example illustrates that same sort of thing at the bottom of the image.

you can get pretty crafty with the color usage but it requires demoscene-level competence and the dude who puts those articles together isn't at that level.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Forums Terrorist posted:

my mom wants a new laptop to replace her brick of a sarnsung. she's big on "portability" so ofc she's jonesing for the asus transformer t100 or w/e "because it gets good reviews"

is this a poo poo idea for a momputer, given that even tho she gets a 15% discount on apple kit she's too cheap for a real computer

if she wants a transformer make sure she gets the variant that runs windows (t100) instead of the similarly named transformers that run android. my great aunt has one of those and actually seems to find using it and windows 8 just fine? wouldn't use one myself, but a lot of people do seem to like em ok enough

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

can you bring a macbook in to an apple store and get them to replace the trackpad (or touchpad; whatever it's called)?

yeah but they can never give a good one

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

apple's market share in laptops

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

mac laptops come w/ Linux preinstalled

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

:cheers:

yeah it owns its just a bigger version of the trackpad on your macbook

the magic mouse is pretty neat too and has gestures and poo poo also

magic mouse is great if you love crippling your wrists. no kinkshaming ofc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
yeah nothing you can upgrade on there that would be worth the cost of doing so versus building a new computer; unless you happen to be able to find a slightly faster processor for free

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

is there a noticeable bump in ssd performance on sandy/ivy bridge/haswell compared to core/nehalem chipsets

no, unless your motherboard has a crippled sata controller or its a new ssd with sata 3 required for full speeds and your mobo's too old to have sata 3

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's generally either olds who hate change, factories who need DOS/3.1/95 for CNC hardware, or collectors who want to play bideo James on original hardware

i can literally buy the computers from the local government for a dollar.

what's the specs on em

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

the ones i have? 2.8ghz p4, 1.5gb ram, 40gb hd. they're total unusable poses but people will pay outrageous sums for them.

oh dang i was hoping for piii or earlier

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

people will pay for those too. some p3 shitbox running 98se went for over a hundred recently

yeah mostly because they tend to use significantly less power and often use parts that are still manufactured somewhat.

like how the 486 I got for free recently, turns out that the type of RAM it uses is still being manufactured at large scale in the us.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/EHome_EH100
:q:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CrazyLittle posted:

the worst part is they keep removing functionality (or hiding it) with each new major release

its amazing how far negative functionality can go, but drat it they do it anyway.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

Just install iTunes.

Do not advocate self-harm in YOSPOS

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

if you literally can't put up with itunes you are a grade a scrub fucko

if your fetish is a media player you have to "put up with" then compile a custom build of foobar2000 using the circa 2003 codebase
if you don't want to have to "put up with" a media player, don't use itunes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

my iphone with iOS 8.1.2 has 3 unread messages on the badge for the messages app even though all are read. any way to fix this?

Purchase a real phone

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

obstipator posted:

whats the best excel like software that's free and windows and whaterver. I just want to open a exxcel file so i can make it csv or a better format quick and easy. i also sometimes want to L@@K @ spreadsheets without having to dump it into a mysql to see whats inside. Thanks In Advance!

excel free trial from microsoft dot com

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

which is the best web browser on windows?

firefox is the best

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

what's different between chrome and firefox? and opera if it still is a thing

chrome uses piece of poo poo webkit based stuff and has worse adblock. firefox uses good gecko based rendering and has the best adblock.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kalstrams posted:

i don't use adblock, but ill try that gecko thing after i wake up, thanks

you don't try gecko, it's built into firefox.

i mean unless you're developing an outside application and need a renderer that is.

also you should always use adblock until a site gives you reason to trust it otherwise

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

butterfly labs

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
impossible, all iphones are useless