Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

all my home stuff has gradually been switched to apple products, but I want to repurpose an old thinkpad x201 lappetoppe to make a pfsense firewall. any suggestions as to how to add a NIC to it? It has a pcmcia port and also spare usb ports. only 1 built in ethernet. maybe do some link aggregation with an 4G modem and my ADSL possibly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

You can get a an Ethernet hub same as a usb hub. They r called switches now though. Pfsense /openwrt probably do link aggregation without too much sperging

ok so if I get a switch and plug the laptop, my modem and my airport all on it I can use pfsense to configure it so that all the traffic goes from modem to pfsense and then to airport (and back ofc)? how much loving about would that be and does the switch need to have some features that I need to look for?

see i don't have a very strong cj background so this is a seriousquestion.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

raruler posted:

you will really same yourself some headaches if you just get a PCMCIA ethernet card

that's what I thought. obscure vlan fuckery with a cheap switch doesnt sound like something i want to waste a second of my life. just wanna get a proper firewall and maybe some snort rules running idk.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

macpad owns, pc pads suxxx!

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I tried this from the start but it just wouldn't autopromote a slave if the master failed. Didn't matter which machine was master. I could promote it manually if I ssh'd to the remaining machine though. HA-Lizard threw an error message along the lines of "this server isn't privileged to become master" despite it being the one selected by the pool to autopromote. couldn't find anyone with the same problem, I'm assuming it's just some really obscure edge case with the two computers I was using to test (they're old core2 HP desktop, one has a slightly newer CPU)

hey man write a shell script that pings them both constantly and if one ping fails it logs on to the other and promotes it over ssh. problem solved! and elegantly, I might add!

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

anthonypants posted:

you can access your home network from the cloud

you and everyone else.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

get a mac and install chromeos

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

spankmeister posted:

do i7's do vt-d?

doo dee do dee dii doo!

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

theadder posted:

cant wait till steve abolishes fans

yospos endlösnung.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

raruler posted:

compusa mouse toucher

"Aunt Mousy", we used to call her around our house.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

theadder posted:

an airport time capsule op

same. owns.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

i'm using digitalocean right now, one of their $5/mon droplets, and it's handling all of my "loving around" needs just fine, including web dev/hosting and an irc bouncer for some friends, and i'm 99% sure they don't have a problem with setting up your own vpn as long as you don't violate the tos. they have debian and centos images and generally things just work as expected, in my experience. their newer locations support stuff like ipv6 too

this is my referral link, which will give me $25 in credit eventually if you stay with them long enough, but more importantly will give you $10 in account credit immediately so you can fool around with their vms for a while and see if you like how they work, there may be something i've missed that's important to other folks

i hope this kind of referral link is okay, if it's not then i'll delete it (or a mod can just do it for me)

they provide a step by step guide for setting up openvpn so I guess it's fine.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

thus spoke Spankmeister, knower of protocols.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

pay for a crashplan account. they do a black friday sale after thanksgiving so wait for that I guess

crashplan took aaaages to back up on my ADSL upstream and it seemed like it always had like 200gb to go.. went onedrive. it's all good know.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

well yeah, its heavily dependent on how big your selection is. if you're only backing up the same limited folder selection as onedrive its going to be about the same time but if you're pushing your entire system over a dsl line the initial sync will take forever. sync your user profile with appdata\local and local low excluded, probably exclude the downloads folder, maybe exclude movies or other media files you don't really care about as well. that will get you most of what you want. then have a secondary backup drive or nas as your secondary backup location to send the entire system to so you can do a full restore

yes. but.

now I use a time capsule and intermittently vopy errything to an offline disk suits me just fine

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

so, uh, is there a way to echo all lan & wlan traffic to a port in an airport time capsule so I can set up snort for my home lan?

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

are htpcs still a thing? i kinda want to dump comcast and just do ota dvring and i guess a few isos but don't really want to cj anything.

this is mine: https://kyber.ninja/thread.php?id=7

it sits in the closet unused. maybe I'll turn it into a pfsense firewall or something idk.

or maybe upgrade the internals. apple tv has made it pretty redundant now that I can stream my mac to the tv at will.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

ey! srsly. is there a way to echo all traffic to a port on an Airport Time Capsule? can't find poo poo on google.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

lampey posted:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Passive-Network-Tap/

make a hardware tap by doing that or splicing some ethernet cables. this will limit you too 100m connections

drat. didn't know you could do that by just basically splicing a cable. thanks! I'll build one some day and plug it to my stupid snort machine. I'll set the ethernet port to slut mode and connect back to the internet via wifi. maybe that'll work. 100 is fine because this plugs between the router and ADSL so it won't ve limiting anything.

networking is cool and confusing.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Caithness posted:

my new retina MacBook Pro has a power button where the eject key used to be. how do I do keyboard shortcuts that involve the eject key such as "turn off display" and "put computer to sleep" now?

set the brightness all the way down, close lid.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

dear mailserver nerds:

i'm trying to send an email to an address listed on a website (i.e. not a transcription error) and i'm getting

is there more meaning behind that than the obvious?

dunno about the codes but your sending server might have gotten on a blacklist. try to send from an another address.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

kalstrams posted:

what is yospos approved cloud storage
spideroak/box/gdrive/dropbox ? any of them? neither?

they're all the same. I use onedrive because I have a terabyte there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Bhodi posted:

antennae strength is limited by the FCC and anything you buy is going to be the allowed maximum. there's no such thing as a "powerful" one unless you flash the firmware into illegality in the usa but i have no idea what india allows, maybe you can get a ultra strength one there they couldn't sell in the states

get one that you like the features of because they're all going to be roughly of the same strength. throughput is a diff matter and they vary wildly based on how many dollars the company puts into the chipsets, i dunno ubiquiti is good for larger installations but i just got a random one from the wirecutter or whatever amazon said was their best seller and it works fine

India sells antibiotics recipe-free on street pharmacies, helping the next world-killing plague evolve by leaps and bounds. I’d guess they’re not that fussy on wlan amplitude.