Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A mac bluetooth keyboard is not capable of pressing ctrl+alt+del. I know mac del is more like backspace, but ctrl+alt+fn+del doesn't work either. The computer has win7. Win 8 wouldn't be a problem. Until today the client was using a literal second keyboard for logon only. The "fix" is to press ctrl+alt on mac keyboard and click del on the onscreen accessibility keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you need service and support just pay for a buainess line. I have never been on hold more than 5 minutes.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

okay.. my mom's cousin left a voicemail asking for advice getting a new computer, and she said I'M NOT GETTING MAC. so she sees me as the go-to-guy for computer advice, but i haven't touched a PC for years. she's like "i don't know if i should get a dell, or a toshiba". how the gently caress am i supposed to know?

so anyone know of a dependable cheap PC she could get these days?

Do you have a reason not to get a chromebook?
get a chromebook

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Heresiarch posted:

my almost ten year old intellimouse explorer 3 is finally losing its poo poo by doing the double-click thing and i think it's time for me to get a new one because i'm no longer the kind of person who disassembles things to repair them

is the logitech m705 as good as the reviews say it is or am i going to hate it

[edit] and since i don't really need a wireless one should i just get an m500 instead

sometimes the clicker breaks and starts double clicking, you just have to disassemble it and rebend the tiny metal piece and then put it back together

I have two of these and they are the best, secret 6th button under the thumb. battery lasts forever. toggling between normal scroll and hyper scroll. it tracks well on. really this batter lasts forever

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

quadpus posted:

what's the best, least janitory way to back up my dad's windows (7, home premium) laptop to :yaycloud:
the ideal solution at first seemed to use the builtin windows backup to his google drive folder, but it seems you can't use that with anything except a physical drive that isn't C:

Symform is free, bitcasa is free. backblaze and crashplan are both good for paid services. If he has more than 10gb of data its worth paying for the backups. Also for just pictures, onedrive, and drop box both give you extra free space

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

just get a powerline adapter

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

computer toucher posted:

ey! srsly. is there a way to echo all traffic to a port on an Airport Time Capsule? can't find poo poo on google.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-Passive-Network-Tap/

make a hardware tap by doing that or splicing some ethernet cables. this will limit you too 100m connections

I want to have outlook show a secondary calendar called "team" that is shared out, and not change back to the default calendar randomly. is there any to set outlook to keep the "calendar" calendar unchecked, and keep the team calendar checked?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

since I don't know where else to put this I present to you: audiophiles rating the quality of music based on the hard drive it is played from

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

Is this a parody?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

kalstrams posted:

what's different between chrome and firefox? and opera if it still is a thing

Chrome is a product of an advertising company and starts faster. Firefox is a product of a privacy company and has better addons. Both are about the same speed for loading webpages

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Answering myself: Those boards only work with ECC RAM with a Xeon proc, so no dice :mad:

don't buy an overclocking cpu in 2015, you lose out on a lot of the hardware features of the cpu. Don't buy a socket 2011 anything for gaming.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

kalstrams posted:

if i need vps to host a website with small tool, i take i have no reasons to looks past amazon's ec2 or whatever was it called, right?

ec2 is good if you need cpu time that can scale exactly when you need it or if you are heavily integrated with their other services. digitalocean is $5 a month for a vps with 512mb and is pretty reliable. Linode is another competitor or you could go with a bigger dedicated box from someone like kimsufi for 5-10 euros a month

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

can someone help me fix my boss's outlook

it would lock up every time she opened it (she has ~86,000 emails / 15gb) so I reformatted / reinstalled os x and clean installed outlook for mac 2011. while rebuilding its pulling down emails like 2-3 at a time and slowly becoming less responsive over time. mail.app has also been pretty unresponsive with the acct and syncing the outbox emails out hours after the fact. the only thing that seems to work correctly is the web app.

outlook 2011 doesn't handle more than 10k items in the inbox well. go on owa and move most of the mail to a new folder tree that is not under inbox. also clear out sent items and deleted items. after that is done quit outlook, cmd click it and delete the old identity. create a new identity. it should download the most recent ~1000 messages, then start downloading the oldest messages ~100 at a time. If you are on a slow connection set message headers to download first and it will finish a lot faster. 15gb is not that much if you are on exchange 2010/2013. just keep your inbox, and sent items folders smaller, and mind the send and receive groups.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Exchange Search The ability to quickly search messages becomes even more critical with archive mailboxes. For Exchange Search, there's no difference between the primary and archive mailbox. Content in both mailboxes is indexed. Because the archive mailbox isn't cached on a user's computer (even when using Outlook in Cached Exchange Mode), search results for the archive are always provided by Exchange Search. When searching the entire mailbox in Outlook 2010, search results include the users' primary and archive mailbox.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979795%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

split that poo poo up, yo

if you are on windows you have to have proplus/enterprise to use in place archive. on mac you have to have the office 365 version which is a huge gently caress you from microsoft. just buy a more expensive copy of the software you already bought or use owa for searching old email like a poor.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Does microsoft offer a hosted exchange service?

office 365 is about $4 a month per mailbox. if you are a not for profit or educational user it is cheaper and if you want extra features like ad integration it can cost more.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

do Seagate external hard drives still fall apart? Amazon has a 5tb external Seagate on sale for $129 and a 4tb WD for $131. I know their reputation is not for reliability and the last Seagate I had died within 6 months taking my vast collection of Linux ISOs with it, but I also know WD puts lovely drives in their external boxes too.

If you are using it is a drive to back things up they are fine. If you take it out of the enclosure your warranty is likely void and the drives are not going to last as long as a standard internal drive. Also the 5tb ones are SMR so random reads are going to be slower. Still great for media storage and backups.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

email: what's the best gmail alternative, and should i bother with a not-browser email client

Yandex

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Do a system restore. that windows update is probably not what is giving you the busy cursor.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

corded mice are usually lighter than wireless

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Just lower your mtu to 1476. You can test this by doing a ping. And then do ping dash l 1500 to see if the mtu is the problem

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

i have had to uninstall a bunch of apps and then reinstall it because it was purchased on a different icloud account and would not update?? they were all free apps though but this might help

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Bittorrent sync is good for backing up one folder to another location

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dodoman posted:

the drive is probably still fine, pull it out of the enclosure and plug it via sata/thunderbolt or another caddy and see if it works.

just take your new drive back to where you bough it. if you take it out you wont be able to get a warranty replacement or return it

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you are getting harder ones you could have malware or toolbars or bad cookies. Try a private window

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Get two outdoor rated units with higher power, good for 3miles. http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B004EGI3CI
$50 each.

Or get a cheap usb one with a removable antenna like http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-T2UH-Wireless-Supports/dp/B00UZRVY12/ and then either get a bigger or directional antenna if the normal one isn't good enough. Depending on what is in the walls you might get a better signal just moving the router and the usb stick up higher.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

why care, your computer still boots in 10 seconds even on sata 6

pcie has less latency which can be important if you are running a database and you want to write it all to disk

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

tp-link archer c7 is good and cheap

have this and get the full speed from my modem. i get internet in the parking garage through a concrete wall too

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

im out of my element and its the only option i have

make a playlist on spotify and stream ur music

upload your songs to the amazon or google cloud and stream it

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

echinopsis posted:

so if there was some kind of database or system ideal for sales? like tracking items sold, when, expiries, etc? i could use a spreadsheet I GUESS but

microsoft dynamics crm can track assets and customer relationships. maybe salesforce? is everyone just using sticky notes and remembering it all in their head now?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

echinopsis posted:

im not against cloudy poo poo I guess if its something I can doi easily with a excel I might just do that i was just curious whats things are about I guess

if your company is at a level where everyone just remembers everything and its on sticky notes and if no one remembers that order/sale it just didn't happen then a spreadsheet is a good improvement. it really depends on what you can get people to do and whether or not the people in charge support it.

if you are at a level where you have an acess/filemaker/excel file to track stuff and its become slow and confusing and all the people who know how it works are dead then a crm like salesforce can be a huge productivity boost. like fire half of your sales staff and hire two consultants and make more money than before. also for this to work the people in charge have to be willing to fire people who do not support the changes or you will be worse off than before

what are you trying to do? what does your company do to make money?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

echinopsis posted:

who wants to tell me a good resource for leaning how to do SEO

http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en//webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

obstipator posted:

good news fellas. the command completed right after i posted that so i went to the toilet and peepee'd out of my loving dick :)

if you are working in a remote machine you could open a second session, start screen/tmux then use something like https://github.com/nelhage/reptyr to move it over to the screen session.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

echinopsis posted:

so I need to have a motherboard driver to install windows on this computer but I am not sure where to put the drivers, as when it acts to browse to the location, it doesn't actually expose the usb drive, just some premature windows thing called boot

im not sure what is available in nz but if you buy from dell/hp/lenovo/panasonic they will include windows install media with the right drivers for the computer. if this is a custom build you can customize your windows installer with the needed drivers for windows 7/8 by slipstreaming them in. for windows 10 you can do this with sccm or you can use shady software like winreducer. what windows installer are you using now?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i went with the most bargain basement price option possible. this computer is being used ONCE a month jesus, I want to spend little time on it

turns out its the drivers to the USB itself which arent there so no wondre i cant browse to them

just instalin' w10 instead

i thought the mannequin software didnt work with w10

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

spankmeister posted:

parts cost is fake anyway because they are way, way cheaper for apple

the laptop is probably way cheaper than retail too. sell it when you get it back

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

fart simpson posted:

literally everything else works. its only ie that doesnt

have yiu tried running sfc/scannow
also if you are in safe mode with networking does ie have the same problem

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

How much latency / overhead / whatever would using a usb 3 to dvi adapter add for a gaming setup? I want to use these two to make a poor man's dual screen kvm...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0161YAOMW/
http://www.amazon.com/SIIG-SuperSpeed-Switch-Adapter-JU-SW0012-S1/dp/B005EHND30

... but I'm worried about my sikk frames, MLG career and personal gaming brand. Thoughts?

what video card do you have that cannot support dual screen? a usb external video card is generally not a good choice for gaming

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

A gtx 970. The usb widgets are so I can use the a/b switch as a poor man's kvm. Thinking more and more, I didn't think a rich man's kvm would be that much more money

ya the usb/video thingies act as an external video card. they would work great for the non gaming monitors though. its $250-300 for the dual monitor kvm unless you can use vga for one of the monitors.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

tmobile has some canada roaming for free along with a bunch of countries. it might be data only for free and voice costs money.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

try autoruns from sysinternals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

fishmech posted:

what's the best Intel 802.11ac wifi card that's compatible with a ThinkPad X61 Tablet?

x61 is nine years old. the bios has white listed devices. a usb adapter could be better. what os are you running?