Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/noobdoggy/status/1756405031798976822?s=46&t=X_0RGjAVwiXmZrJflstUyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

does anybody know off the top of their head any make/model lines for a GaMiNg LaPtOp without a numpad

I saw one a while ago but slept on it and forgot what it was

(it doesn't have to be Big)

rtings.com says the dell alienware m16 r1 is the best gaymer laptop, and does not appear to have a numpad, but does have an offset trackpad
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/alienware-m16-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m16-r1-laptop

of course a 14" macbook pro with an m3 pro is the best laptop you could buy, so unless gaming is super important you should just get one of those instead

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

oh sorry lol. yes i want to play video games on it. i have 9000 other machines for browsing or w/e

this machine will only be used for games, yeah. ill look into this one

best buy has the alienware on sale, but it's still like $900 more than the asus you linked, lol
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...p?skuId=6543536

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Perplx posted:

all Razer laptops are centered and made out metal but also cost as much as a Mac

i've heard a lot of horror stories about their customer support and the durability of their computers. they're clearly going for the apple design aesthetic, but seemingly don't have the chops to pull it off or the confidence to stand behind the products

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

amd cpu:

amd gpu:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

trying to trouble shoot my partners laptop network issues

it seems to work for a few seconds when I connect to a wifi network here at home. I can ping google but get like one ping and then it times out. when I switch to a different network here in the house I get the same thing, works for a moment

the two networks - one is the asus router directly and one is an ubiquity AP connected to that router

the network appears to work fine on my laptop

and if I connect her laptop to her phone then that works too

so it seems to specifically it’s her laptop with the wifi networks here

it’s just weird that it works for a moment

also if it matters ms defender is running hard. although my experience is that that is most of the time just a routine check happening at the total
wrong time

assuming it's running windows, have you checked the network properties to make sure it's not set as a metered connection? same for on the router just before the modem to make sure it doesn't have a limitation placed on it for some reason?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Also w11 is completely fine

actually it sucks, op. sorry

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I’ll double check that setting, didn’t think it was but tbh didn’t pay that much attention

she just did get an email from IT that mentions something about connectivity issues.. but she’s not at work..?

idk how corporate windows poo poo works but is it possible that network issues at her work could affect her at home? the issue isn’t just connecting to work stuff but anything at all

(and if so why does it work if she hotspots?)

oh it's a work laptop. does it have a some kind of cellular network connection thing on it? like a slot for a SIM or an eSIM that it uses to connect when not at the office or something? the laptops we have at my work have software that connects to a hidden municipal network so using wifi isn't needed. if she has something like that it could also be causing conflicts.

this is what we have: https://www.absolute.com/#nm-banner

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah that's fine. It's not like i need LEDs or whatever. just need a good gpu

e: lol they want four thousand five hundred earth dollars for the one with the maxed video. no thank u

you could buy an apple vision pro and a 13" macbook air for that :eyepop:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

im mostly joking

but you can move the taskbar to the left with no tool? I did it at work. still on the bottom

only thing you can do is left-justify the taskbar icons, you can't move the taskbar's location itself away from the bottom without resorting to a third-party tool

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hed posted:

Work monitor on Win11 is acting weird. Display looks good but the text "bounces" for a split second and then corrects. Not predictable and most noticable in high-contrast zones like small numbers on spreadsheets and YOSPOS.

My setup is:

Lenovo X1 <-> ThinkPad dock <-> DP cable to ThinkVision LEN P44w-10 running in 3840x1200.

No HDR and I've tried changing the monitor's control panel from DP 1.4 to downgrade to 1.2 (to no effect, in fact it might behave worse). Is this a lovely cable? It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Braided-32-4Gbps-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07VVJZJ2P/ but looking back I think I was trying to alleviate this problem so maybe it's just back?

I tried to capture what's going on with my iPhone but you can't really see anything but moire patterns through the camera.

on the monitor's settings (that you navigate on the monitor, not in windows) does it show that it's running at the correct resolution? i've run into some issues before where my work pc was sending a 1920x1080 feed but the monitor was detecting it as a lower resolution. the fix was to change the resolution of that monitor in windows, and then change it back to the correct one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

fart simpson posted:

thats a good idea

i'm finding a variety of information though a lot of it is fairly unhelpful, this is from the das keyboard site however:

quote:

Housing base: Made from plastic polymer and glass fiber, the housing base mounts Cherry MX switches to either the PCB (printed circuit board) or the plate of the keyboard. In both a PCB-mounted Cherry MX switch, and a Plate-mounted Cherry MX switch the two pins from the gold crosspoint stick out the bottom, the only difference between the two housings is that a PCB-mounted housing base will only have one additional pin (for a total of three pins), and a Plate-mounted housing base will have three additional pins (for a total of five pins).

if you have four pins are you sure that you bought cherry switches and they aren't another brand?