Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah ask local folksy hardware janitor 'jonny' about baking cpus to fix them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

wow valeyard u got some competition bud

pram
Jun 10, 2001

anthonypants posted:

nah i posted about it in his thread and asked him to add it to yos+ and i'm pretty sure he did :shobon:

e: yeah

i meant in being a gigantic nerd

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gtfo before i beat you up *puffs up feathers menacingly*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im driving to yr house to kick ur rear end fyi

pram
Jun 10, 2001
who is discount fishmech

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that makes sense

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u mean chazzwozzer

pram
Jun 10, 2001
teh memes

pram
Jun 10, 2001
esoteric memes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

hello YOSPOS, just wanted to give a lil update re: my high availability storage project

I like glusterFS, a lot, I think it's the best solution. unfortunately citrix doesn't think the same so xenserver doesn't support it for what I need. the industry is using DRBD as a backing store for most purposes anyway, and it's directly supported by corosync, so i started barking up that tree again

short version: gently caress centos

longer version: centos seems to work just fine with DRBD. at first. you can make a virtual disk manually and test it out and everything works fine. then you set up corosync and make an iscsi target and it works fine. then ou try shutting down one of the machines and it fails over just fine. then you start the machine back up and it can't access the partition you set up for DRBD anymore. wtf!!! a lot of searching and apparently it's some kind of race condition in the startup scripts, but nobody's offering any tips to fix.

so, after trying out a lot of different configuration crap & following guides I basically figured out how to customize the configuration on my own and got it all working on debian. not only does it work right but debian vastly outperforms centos when syncing the data over the network. so yeah. there's a bit of a peculiarity with debian not having a startup script for tgtd, but you can just add it to rc.local and bob's your uncle.

holy poo poo it took me a while to figure out. might actually work better in centos 7 but I couldn't find all the requisite parts for drbd/corosync because EPEL/elrepo havne't caught up yet. idk. I try to use centos because it's the "enterprise" thing to do but debian just works??

hi

pram
Jun 10, 2001
didnt read the rest

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah its called javascript

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my car has infinite gears

pram
Jun 10, 2001
infinite > 6

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your setup sounds truly terrible. you have a domU serving iscsi to the dom0? lol just buy a cheap synology, you're setting whoever you're doing this for up for certain doom

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what was the problem with gluster? ovmm can use nfs as pool storage, and im pretty sure citrix's poo poo can too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh well of course it isnt going to work with straight nfs because the glusterFS daemon w/ the fuse mount is the portion that handles redundant connections to the bricks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
your problem is funny because HA between two servers is easy poo poo

but HA between two hypervisors where the storage is virtualized w/ rube goldberg fencing is rly lovely so my solution is to buy a filer god bless

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so why are you virtualizing it ... ??

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so youre telling me you literally dont have one single spare box to run nfs or iscsi on

pram
Jun 10, 2001
holy poo poo you are lying to me. you want me to believe you cant serve nfs (literally the easiest thing to set up) or iscsi from ANYWHERE in your 'tech school' and you need to set up virtualized storage fencing inside the hypervisor

just admit you're learning pacemaker and drbd for shits and giggles

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just use whatever machine youre posting on right now to serve nfs. do it from inside virtualbox

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

hjalp me i have been having problems with my cable modem for a few days. i have 50/10 service from comcast but lately i have been getting more like 1.5/10. so i logged into the modem config (a motorola sb6141) and noticed i am having problems on 2 channels:

(upstream is oddly completely fine)

and i also noticed this in the logs:

(repeated over and over)

so i called comcast and had to speak to like 8 different people until i finally got one that understood what the issue was. they sent a tech out today and he rewired basically everything outside my house

aaannndd that fixed the problem until literally like 15 minutes after he left when the loving problem came back.

help me yospos i need internet with lots of bits quickly

oh also i went out and bought a completely new sb6141 to see if it was maybe a problem with my modem. nope! same loving problem and now i gotta drive all the way back to costco

install linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Fuckerburg

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol our "dba" doesn't want to run oracle node manager as a service and instead wants us to start it as a scheduled task nevermind that the oracle documentation explicitly says to not do this and we in fact already tried this once due to a lovely contractor and it turns out that scheduled tasks have a low processor/memory/io priority which makes your massive database run like dogshit because inactive pages are constantly getting paged out good job idiot really earning your money this week

i didnt know you could install it any other way than as a service lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats like having nginx be a cron job

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx is more like a http proxy that can also serve static content

the big difference is: nginx's architecture is far superior to apache prefork/worker because it's event based. it can handle tons of tcp connections even with keepalive because it multiplexes the requests and this means someone visiting your website doesnt hog up an entire process like apache

apache has an event mpm module but it sucked poo poo and mod_php will never work with it so you end up using php-fpm anyway so just use nginx (dont use php)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the way apache comes default in linux is basically totally hosed. each prefork process can only really handle one thing at a time. but it comes this way because of one reason: php

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx is really easy to learn. it's less complex than varnish and apache isn't worth learning

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nginx has a default config for port 443 u dunce

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yr vagrantfile is a piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't understand any of that

its really simple

nginx has worker processes that have a single thread. each worker can handle lots of connections because they have an event loop that assigns an http request to a request handler so each request doesnt block the entire process for the duration of the request

apache comes default in prefork, it has a user definable number of processes with one thread each. each process can essentially handle 1 http request because its programmed like poo poo

u can make apache act like nginx with event mpm but why bother its still gonna SUCVK

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

so do you have to run over 9000 virtual machines serving the same content to get apache to maybe work as well as nginx for certain types of site?

in this situation you throw varnish in front of apache

pram
Jun 10, 2001
reinventing the wheel ftw

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

on windows a "page fault" is where the appl needs to page itself because of memoryu issue?

hi app is a registered trademark of apple corporation please refrain from referring to applications for windows operating systems using that term

pram
Jun 10, 2001
blogger lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows server lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol