Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

buy less hard disks

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
delete some god drat files, gently caress

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

good news though: media sucks and you are missing nothing by getting bottlenecked on the latest 4k stream from netflix of the latest trash show

basically

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

oh hey, follow up on the dumb windows 10 1903 update issues I was having; turns out, in its vague way, windows was trying to tell me a driver was bad but couldnt figure it out specifically so i had the opportunity to learn how to pull apart a win 10 install which was kind of interesting

if you have a Windows problem give it to the it guy

and by it guy I mean the sewer grate clown

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at least the netburst was sold side by side with new versions of the prior p3 designs until they got the clock rate and cache up

amd shitcanned k10 and dumped bulldozer on the market and then seemed surprised when they lost 90% of their server chip sales

oh no, not those 45 server chips amd was hoping to sell

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

true. i never hear any complaints out of any of my linux boxes

lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

tar is in that order though

tar jfc poop.tar.bz2 poop/

command command destination source

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bobbilljim posted:

I like how all the goofuses in here ignored the fact that if you were extracting an archive with tar then it would be "the right way around", were that a thing to strive for.

"tar xf source destination"

yeah that’s me, cherry-picking one of the two things you do with tar to demonstrate that it’s inconsistent and weird

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my brief and uneducated glances at demonstrations of (emulated) mainframes leads me to believe that it's less about entering the commands you want to run on a mainframe and more about writing code that will comprise the commands you want to run

there's a reason only bondage and discipline sadists like nbsd even know what mainframes do instead of just writing p-languages on unix like all the normal people

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
seems like a good idea, cause problems for neighbors and network administrators

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
can you use a real os and dd?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jenny Agutter posted:

Put Wireshark on something and see which IP is creating all the traffic

ooh yeah if it’s WiFi you can see which MAC is chatty I think, even with wpa2

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Laslow posted:

i’m in need of a yospos approved wifi router that won’t break the bank. i don’t want to deal with a mesh setup for this one story house. just something with a strong as hell radio for decent coverage.

the isp supplied router just sucks and i’ve tried 3 different extenders and they’re all flaky as hell in their own different ways. i just want a big dumb loud router.

idk about “won’t break the bank” but the dream machine is fine, routes a gigglebit no sweat, radio good, and if you do want more hardwired stations it’ll admin them fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm kinda curious what the breakdown of costs is in an SSD

like how much of it is the controller, how much is the flash chips

it's probably all flash chips,