Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
the shagmechians got the last help thread closed down, so please try not to agitate them in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

If I want to make some nice looking technical training docs is it worth using indesign (I have a CC sub)? does MS Publisher suck horribly?

does adobe still make framemaker? use that; it used to kick rear end for hardcore technical documentation :black101:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
my laptop's wireless speeds have been terrible lately. what's a good router i should get to make things faster and better?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

prefect get one that's 5 GHz range and use that frequency and try changing the channels

i found out that if you give the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels different names, you can pick and choose between them. unfortunately, two rooms away doesn't seem to be close enough for consistent 5 ghz connections

might need to buy that super-broadcasting router that was mentioned

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theadder posted:

if u use the same name it autochooses if u have a good device (ie ios idk about others)

yeah, that's what my macbook does; i was hoping that i could get better performance by forcing it to use 5ghz, but apparently i need more power in my router

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

oh sorry i meant "have you been at a significant distance from bloody's gravitational field since then?"

:fry:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
you can mount isos on windows 2012 with the powershell command "mount-diskimage". one of the arguments you can pass in is "-nodriveletter". if you mount an iso with no drive letter, how do you access the files on it? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
so what you're saying is that rabbit ears are back?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Panty Saluter posted:

they never really left us, the single set of footprints is them carrying us :angel:

i joke, but now i'm going to go home and try turning my wireless router in different directions to see if i can get it to shoot through the bathroom to the bedroom more effectively. i need consistent speed when i'm watching tv in bed :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

my stepdads beer posted:

how do i checkout a git repo that has filenames with ':' in them on windows? am I going to have to rename all of them beforehand? will that even work or do they need to be completely purged from the history

it's difficult to do this on linux, too. try backslashing the colons (i think quoting the repo url won't work)

edit: wait, the filenames have colons in them? i was thinking about just the name of the repo. i suspect you are in for suffering

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobbilljim posted:

cvts can go just as fast in reverse unless they are poo poo

for a second, i was trying to figure out what current vt status meant

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2RYhNhBdw

n-v-t-s is still one of my all-time favorite jokes for some stupid reason

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Corla Plankun posted:

i don't understand why people think the plank length means the universe is made out of voxels

please explain; i guess i kind of think that

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Corla Plankun posted:

i literally, actually do not understand

it seems wrong to me but thats based on my dumb intuition of the universe being a more elegant place than that, not physicsfacts

i guess electricity comes in discrete packets so why not movement

my brain doesn't like the thought that the planck time means that there actually are "frames" in the movie that is our life, as opposed to a continual flow

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
are there any decent ssh server applications that run on windows?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
note: shaggar does not need to respond to this post

what's the proper way to set a linux machine's fully-qualified hostname? like, so you get the right thing from "hostname --fqdn"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i used that first, and i saw a couple of different answers (/etc/hosts, /etc/sysconfig/network, /etc/resolv.conf), so i wanted to find out what the right thing was :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

what does /etc/hostname have in it, or does that exist

what distro are you using

/etc/hostname doesn't exist. this is centos 6.5

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
can you bring a macbook in to an apple store and get them to replace the trackpad (or touchpad; whatever it's called)?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
sometimes, my pc fan has been buzzy the last couple of weeks. it'll be just fine, and then it'll do this whirrrr-buzz-whirrrr-buzz thing, and it makes me a little nervous :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

raruler posted:

compusa mouse toucher

i miss compusa. it was nice to be able to look at stuff in person when you bought it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
is the "magic trackpad" any good? i need some kind of additional pointing device for my macbook pro

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
thanks for the reviews; i have now ordered a magic trackpad, which my brain refuses to stop calling "tragic macpad" -- i saw it referred to that way somewhere, and it's stuck

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stymie posted:

enjoy the experience of controlling your computer by tickling a robot's taint

when i can get a robot to tickle my taint, life will be wonderful

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

I just got an intuous pen and touch and it's multi gesture like magic pad but also has pen for drawing and maybe similar price???????!??!

i can't draw, and even if i could, my carpal tunnels won't let me hold a pen for more than a couple of minutes :D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

if you are having computer problems you probably should get this since this is designed to fix up computer problems from the inside out, like a vitamin

what is it/what does it do? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i am not well-versed in matters of security, so i come here seeking wisdom. here's the scenario: you have a server running tomcat. it's got apache configured to do reverse-proxying and https-serving magic. is the traffic between apache and tomcat essentially available to anybody who can log onto the server?

one person is saying tomcat should be set up to do https, and then apache (also doing https) should reverse-proxy for tomcat, but that seems weird to me and kind of overkillish

thanks for any help you can give :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
another question from a person who knows less than he probably should: will ulimit kill processes that try to take up too much memory, or will it just prevent them from sucking up too much? i'm hoping for the latter

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theadder posted:

its good for tv buying idk about music

yeah, i primarily use it for tv shows

and podcasts, but it's terrible at those

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CrazyLittle posted:

im getting ptsd from reading those horror stories... i should probably stop

gently caress devops

we are not men

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Corla Plankun posted:

its just that i know i will use it once an then 15 new process will just run all the time forever as a result and that upsets me irrationally

it installs something called "bonjour service", which it says is for sharing media libraries. i don't have anyone to share with, so i disable that. up until recently, starting itunes without bonjour running caused itunes to crash :eng99:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloody posted:

is this a satire website

i'm thinking it's a joint venture by the companies that sell three feet of usb cable for seventy bucks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

i have google for business account with domain and 6 emails on it
any recommendations as of where i should migrate it, if i want neither google nor my own mail server?

i've heard people around here saying nice things about fastmail.fm

i created an account just to try it out, and it's not bad. definitely better than gmail in usability

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i have an incredibly stupid linux hosts-file question that i'm sure i know the answer to, but i guess those brain cells are dead now. do you need to have "127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain" in addition to the machine's actual name, or do you just need the name, and "localhost" is a magical default?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

idk about pos approved version control, but if you roll with git - check out using sourcetree and a private bitbucket repo (unless you really need to host on your own)

even if you were to go with github, sourcetree is still a good idea -- github's got a git client, but i've seen people have more problems using it than sourcetree

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
firefox keeps freezing up for like a minute at a time, and it seems to be related to the shockwave flash plugin. in good old opera 12, you could check a box for "load plugins only on demand". is there a way to do that in firefox?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kalstrams posted:

press 'always activate' and set 'ask to activate'

that's easier than expected -- i figured i'd need an add-on for it :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Forums Terrorist posted:

hey thread what's the best ereader

kindle paperwhite is p. excellent

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobbilljim posted:

what does it mean, when you go to the lepers colony but there is no link to te post that teh person was probated for

they could have been probated in a thread that is no longer on the forums

i think admins may also be able to give out threadless probations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i've got a macbook pro. it's a few years old, and the screen has gotten looser -- it won't stay in position unless i push it back farther than i want. is there a way to tighten that up?