Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
only computer problem i've had...since switching to mac...is not enough computer problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
to think 'fixing computers' used to be a thing people made a job out of. like 'fixing bikes' or something lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i wont use mailchimp because it sounds vaguely racist to me

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
introducing torch monkey...the smoke testing suite you wont be able to live without!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's missing compressed air canister i think

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have a very difficult time doing setup on nginx/apache because it's not something i really care about. wheneever i'm doing development locally and a part of the site directs to https it times out because i dont have it set up correctly.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

nginx is really easy to learn. it's less complex than varnish and apache isn't worth learning

i'm sure it's easy i just dont want to learn it i want it to work. it's like css or html

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well it doesnt work with our weird vagrant setup

our vagrant setup is supposed to install nginx and setup the configuration and it does, but then that configuration doesn't work, lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also unlike every other vagrant setup i've seen and used personally where you also run rails from within vagrant, we run rails outside of vagrant, but our nginx server and kafka/other services inside. which honestly makes sense because rails would be insanely slow if we ran it inside a vm. but it is an extra layer of complexity on top of everything else.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
arrange for her to use windows 8 for a few days and then tell her to get a mac

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Nintendo Kid posted:

there is never a reason to get a chromebook, chrome already runs on real computers

but it aslso runs on books

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

hey that looks ok but what the gently caress is git other than a derogotory term for an old dude

it's a useful tool for subjugating women

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm james.sniep

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Corla Plankun posted:

my wife got an iphone 5 and she wants to put music on it

i will be cold and in the ground before i put itunes on my goddamn pc. how do i put music on this garbagephone without hurting the computers i care about?

dicorce your wfive

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
why cant you just put your music on the apple cloud and have it transmit to your ipod or something seems ike that should be easy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

bobbilljim posted:

the 2 things seem 100% related though. I'll have to try and see if they aren't

It's probably more like the update thong emits some sort of global signal to turn off the busy mouse thing. Something else is putting it in that state.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaman Linavi posted:

updated on my data recovery efforts:
recuva didnt do poo poo
DiskDigger from hiren's was able to get everything off but i ended up having to pay $15 for it since i didnt have time to gently caress around downloading the bootcd. Also just an FYI it takes like 5 hours to scan a 1TB harddrive.

crazy i honestly thought your friend was screwed, i had no idea recovery worked.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have an external monitor that connects to my macbook via usbc -> display port.

i can only get computer to recognize the monitor (or maaaybe vice versa) if i reboot while the monitor is plugged in. otherwise it doesn't work.

does anyone have ideas for how i can make it work without a full reboot? i've tried sleeping / unsleeping, messing with all the buttons in the displays panel, etc. doesn't work.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 17, 2018

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ah yes, PDFs, well known as safe.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NoneMoreNegative posted:

someone try this with their gmail account just so I know I'm not mad: pick out one of the business email flyers you get from an online store, see if it has links in the footer - search the text that is used for the hyperlink and see if the email is returned.

I clear out the crud from my account occasionally by searching on 'unsubscribe' and deleting them all, now I find that any mail that has 'unsubscribe' as a hyperlink to a page doesn't get included in the search returns.

i dont have an answer to this question but is there should be a thing you can run all your email through that automatically unsubscribes from things

although you'd need to use a heuristic for the confirmation step

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rookoo posted:

Not exactly a pressing issue but i’ve noticed displayport sometimes has issues ‘Waking up’ if the screen goes off while in the bios or doing other non-windows stuff. Like, there’ll be no input when the monitor is turned back on.

I seem to remember reading that this is a known problem with displayport. Why is this a thing that happens, just out of curiosity?

yeah i've had this and similar problems with like every laptop and OS, sadly. it's really very frustrating and probably my biggest ongoing gripe with laptops.