Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Gentle Autist posted:

any ideas on why the native sound device on a 2017 mba would just disappear

I’ve tried resetting the PRAM and poo poo, and updating macOS. coreaudiod appears to be running fine and not spitting any errors

the issue began on catalina, updated to big slur, same. cpu is going crazy all the time too but there’s nothing weird running afaict. sometimes kernel task spikes and then whatever the active app is will spike, even if nothing is going on. i suspect some indexing poo poo is happening in spotlight or whatever. I disabled the photos.app face indexing stuff

next thing imma do is flatten and reinstall with a fresh big slur. it’s my wife’s laptop and she doesn’t have any patience for dumb computer poo poo (like me), so hopefully a fresh macOS will cover it

The I/O board has the sound chip on it. Replace it or the i/o cable. Or get your poo poo fixed at a proper repair shop who will show you where your mountain dew spilled on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Okay fine you got it already, but I want to be on record as being right.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Suppose I find a shorted smd cap on a PCB. Could I just put a *kinda the same* cap back on? If I didn't know the capacitance, can I just wing it?

I suppose I should figure the line voltage and match or better the breakdown... But the capacitance? Is there a trick of sorts to divining this?

Edit: assume this is a power rail not some desense or a data line. Those caps never® blow.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 7, 2021

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Jonny 290 posted:

Assuming it's a power rail, always go up, never go down. The risk of going up is that now that capacitor can store more energy, and may cause an inrush current while it initially charges that exceeds the limit of the input circuits. Resistors and caps are sold on "e tables" where there's a log function for what your values need to be. You'll probably recognize a lot of these numbers:

going up by one on the e12 table is no big deal. jumping a few may cause Problems.

loving what. That's awesome. I hadn't considered inrush cooking whatever is on the line, makes sense to stay within a step or so on that table. I imagine I rush kinda like a water hammer.

Also it's slightly creepy that you got into my brain so easily and told me I would recognize those values, which I did.

Thanks Mr Two Hundred Ninety.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Is it a mini player? Like has the play pause forward buttons?

You should be able to reset defaults for any app buuuuut what the hell is persisting thru a reset? Accessibility poo poo? Maybe set up a new user profile?

Is there a cache needs wiping?

I hope you like questions?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Just post

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Update BIOS yet?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh just wait til you find the event log. You'll be tearing your hair out.

Or when you search services.msc and see so many things disabled!

Or when you notice all the stuff in system32 is a duplicate of syswow64 that's when you know you got a real live wire.

===
But for real, backup, and with another computer download the media creation tool to make a thumb drive.
Boot from it and run the clean command from diskpart (shift+f10 to get a cmd window during windows installer). If you want, flash your motherboard bios, video bios, ssd firmware. I offer that as an upcharge for the especially paranoid.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah windows is a huge mess of legacy code and random ideas developers had years ago made to work surprisingly well and astonishingly fast until you start looking for dents. Or gashes. Or entire parts of the ship duplicated underwater and taped together, lashings broken free, and your personal data trailing behind.

For the record I didn't really look at any of the network /open port entries. Don't know poo poo bout them. But everything else looks super commonplace.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Post in HAUS.

The freezer trick works only for seized bearings right? Most clicking comes from the drive's inability to read it's partition table/init informaton at all IIRC. It's even stored on the drive itself in some (most) configurations. Could be the controller ROM too. The person who said PC-3000 + Training is right.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
everyone gets it. there's no drivers

maybe rip the poo poo apart, write down the chip markings and contact the manufacturer, ask them to sign some drivers for you

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It crashes because of you. It's sad you don't change it's thermal paste or clean it's fan. It crashes to save you from ordering yet another 12pc nuggets at 10:30pm while staring at your d&d character sheets, thinking how these two lizard wizards could hook up

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Just wanted to anchor goons here. Jonny 290 is an uber nerd who cares about things like music sounding good instead of just music sounding loud.

You are likely free to ignore his oddities and just turn your dials up until your music is really loud, and then stop thinking about what numeric value your music is at and listen to the bassline.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
for the record, i honestly wish i was jonny, he knows so much bullshit

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If anyone cares, I am jonny's step son jonny 290.5 from now on

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I simply plug in my android phone and touch tethering to download wifi drivers.

Even windows 8 embedded comes with android tethered drivers.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah check scaling options too, it's probably too high, like ur mum, or 420.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I have a computer, it needs a game please

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Aren't they obligate carnivores? No wonder its not booting with such a negligent owner. They should be quartered in the town square and made to install Arch for all to see

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

fart simpson posted:

yah he told me if he fixed it he'd charge me like $10 but he couldnt fix it so he said i didnt need to pay him but i insisted to pay something because it took his time and i ended up giving him about $2

Did you give him the kb? If he's like me it's eating away at him, he knows it's probably not the chip, but he doesn't want to run new traces or whatever.

I bet he'd do more work on it and learn something new, later.... If later ever comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh my, a snipe! Well let me thank the academy and my wife, and my 3 cats for the opportunity to be here today.