Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

That's another hosed up thing. There is a cable jack, but when I continuity test it with the other two jacks in the house, there is no connection. I have looked everywhere for the junction point and I can't find it to see why it would have been cut.

If it's an apartment it's probably junctioned outside. Even then it's probably running through a splitter and as such you won't see continuity between outlets.

5 gHz is the pro choice for an apartment. You don't need the range as much as you need the clear spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
ccleaner has a neat new feature that finds duplicate files for you.

in other news amd driver installers literally poo poo temp files all over your hard dsrives on every install, poo poo was like 1.79gb :psyduck:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i had no problems with the drivers themselves, but the sloppyu rear end install is p shameful

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
like at least just put them in the TEMP folder, not just root

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I need to reapply the paste on my cpu. I have a noctua nh14s and im hitting hi 60s without overclocking in prime95 (i5 4670k). Are there any gotchas to this hsf? I only used a rice grain of paste last time. Does it need to be spread manually or will it squeeze when the hsf presses down?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

When you take the HS off you will be able to see where the paste is.

This is true too. Now to find my tube of heatsink paste :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

get a big one and ground it really well

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
is anyone here using saplusplus for greasemonkey? in the last couple of days the "open new replies in tabs" has been opening multiple tabs per thread but nothing has changed on my end as far as I can tell :confused:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
FIrefox is always updating so probably that :v: I tried a newer version of Greasemonkey, didn't help. Sometimes it works fine so IDK?? I tried to find a newer version of the script but ever since UserScripts died that's a pain.

I pretty much use it for opening new replies in tabs

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you just need to open new posts in new tabs, use:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @id             jerkikosnewtabs
// @name           jerkikosnewtabs
// @version        1.0
// @namespace      
// @author         
// @description    
// @include        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @grant          GM_openInTab
// @run-at         document-end
// ==/UserScript==
var forum = document.getElementById("forum");
if (forum)
{	
	var button = document.createElement("a");
	button.href = "#";
	button.innerHTML = "Open New Posts in New Tabs";
	button.style.cssFloat = "right";
	button.style.marginRight = "8px";
	button.addEventListener("click", NewPostsInNewTabs, false);

var where = document.evaluate("THEAD/TR/TH[contains(@class,'title')]",
			forum, null, 7, null);
	where = where.snapshotItem(0);
	if (where)
	{

where.insertBefore(button,where.firstChild);
	}
}

function NewPostsInNewTabs(event)
{
	var eval, node, name;
	event.preventDefault();
	eval = document.evaluate("TBODY/TR/TD/DIV/DIV/A[contains(@class,'count')]",
			document.getElementById("forum"), null, 7, null);
	OpenTabLoop(eval);

return;
}

var i =0;
function OpenTabLoop(eval){
	if (i < eval.snapshotLength){
		setTimeout(function(){		
			node = eval.snapshotItem(i);
            node = node.href;
			i++;
			OpenTabLoop(eval);
            GM_openInTab(node);

},(i*3)+250);
	}

}

works a treat, danke :tipshat:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Panty Saluter posted:

works a treat, danke :tipshat:

and now it just double opened tabs :wtc:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

what extensions and scripts do you have installed

i had saplusplus still installed but disabled. i have uninstalled it since and we will see

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ahmeni posted:

I had this when my mx520 was dying, maybe your mouse is hosed??

I hope not its not that old!! I dont get double clicks in anything else though

Now that you mention it i had to shut down the Logitech software to update something, maybe related? Either computer will be rebooted and logi software should load again

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
delted my profiel in firefox, rolled new with only adblock edge/ghostery/greasemonkey and no dice. but the options in firefox were funky (showing up blank sometimes) so maybe time for a new install

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

are they hearing aids? lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

hey it turns out greasemonkey 3.0 which just recently came out has a bug that causes this in a buncha scripts, so if you install the greasemonkey 3.1 beta poo poo gets fixed

oh cool will check it out :tipshat:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I installed microsofts virtual machine

Got a bios screen a nd was all "thats p cool" and then just closed it because i have no idea what to do with it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

attach a disk image to boot from

Tried win10 32 bit and it crashed. I think it may be because i can only allocate 3gb of ram but idk. Maybe i wull try a lunix later

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

are you using virtual pc from windows 7? i don't think it supports windows 10 at all.

Yes i am. Trying to anyway. Guess ill find another os to try

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
the "3.5 gb" issue is really not a problem

if youre pushing resolutions that high or details youre probably better off wiht a 980.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
what did you get?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
thats cool, i have just a regular msi 970. it just tears thru everything, it's a really great card

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
what was the old card?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

my stepdads beer posted:

heart touching

Cock solid

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i know this is from the "water is wet" file but the cable modem gateway we have is so bad. like if you download uncapped from steam it kills the whole connection.never happened with my old asus router but sadly that routers radio got funky

i need to bridge wthis piece of poo poo and get anything routing in its stead

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Raluek posted:

"locking" refers to a phone only being usable by one carrier, it doesnt really have to do with your contract other than carriers usually lock the phone to their services until its paid off

an unlocked phone can be used with any carrier that the baseband radio can support

does sprint use gsm and sims? if so, just get a locked sprint phone and stick the replacement sim in. if it's cdma i dont know what the procedure is, but it seems like "whoops i lost my phone here is the replacement, attach it to my current account pls" should be a thing they can do? idk

sprint is cdma last i knew

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

uncurable mlady posted:

they have some lte support so anything that works on verizon should theoretically work on sprint

alternately i got an unlocked att 5c to work with a verizon lte sim so ymmv

huh. does verizon do VoLTE?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

uncurable mlady posted:

yes although I've found that it's kinda lovely

when you're talking to someone else with it enabled it's fantastic, super clear audio. it seems that it drops a lot if you don't have fantastic reception though. my lab is an interior room and calls cut out on volte unless I go out and stand near a window

makes sense though

im sure LTE is running a higher modulation rate and as such is a little needier in the signal dep't

i found that google hangouts' voice quality was pretty drat fantastic but my wife thought it was super lovely on her end. maybe my lte was dropping packets but i was hearing her ok since she was on wifi at the time? idk.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
My wife spilled some coffee on her keyboard (Corsair K70, uses Cherry MX Reds). She wiped it off immediately and I don't see where any liquid could have gotten into the electronic bits. However when she rebooted the computer acts like keys are stuck (goes into command prompt diag options, keeps on hitting return). Scroll lock keeps flashing, which on these keyboards is supposed to mean it's in BIOS mode. BIOS mode switch was never fooled with.

Are mechanical boards more sensitive to liquid intrusion? It's not like this is the first time either of us have spilled something on a keyboard but none of the membrane types seemed bothered as long as you dried them off quickly.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spankmeister posted:

I had the same thing happen and the moisture got between the red bit (well, in my case brown) and the black surround of the button and fuxked everything up

That's fuckin' weird. It was a tiny splash and I don't even know how it would get into the switch.

fake edit: she just plugged it back in and it's working fine. I guess it just had a switch that needed to dry out? IDK. Either way +1 for Corsair boards being durable I guess

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SO DEMANDING posted:

if your operating system is still on a conventional hard drive, please throw it away and replace it with an SSD

thank you

ja

especially since a really nice ssd is cheap these days

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=850_evo-_-20-147-372-_-Product

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Broken Machine posted:

there is a hair salon near here called Curl up and Dye

:black101:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
like i wish i still had hair so i could go there

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yeah hyper 212s are cool + good (literally) and are like 25 dollers on newegg. just make sure you have clearance, they need like six inches or so (much like yer mam, lol)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Stymie posted:

DoD leeloo multipass

Mods?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nintendo Kid posted:

MAME 0.164 Software List CHDs - 1.307 TB

ah yes, the huge list of high quality hard drive based arcade games, such as:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dodoman posted:

area 88/un squadron

i dont think that was on a hard drive

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
gotta get dat dragons lair

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

i like mpc because i can use madvr

i also enjoy having my cpu running 100% all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

it uses like 6-10% on my 2600k (based on five seconds of testing)

yeah i reinstalled it on a whim. i forget why i was annoyed with it last time but i guess it was some interface thing? maybe? anyway it seems to be fine and consumes no resources

other than my compulsive frig-a-rigging with video settings, which madvr enables nicely