Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm going need to rack a PowerEdge somewhere before I'm done setting up the system.

What's the cheap/easy way ensure remote access without exposing iDRAC remotely? Raspberry Pi jump box with another Ethernet adapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When that's happening in the win10 task manager can you sort by Disk and see which processes are using it? A more coarse way of doing this without rebooting would be going to the Startup tab in Task Manager and sorting by Startup Impact. Anything interesting there? You could always disable and reboot and see if it changes anything... basically do a startup process elimination diet.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Annoyed enough with namecheap that I'd like to leave. Any suggestions for something that has a wide list of TLDs, email forwarding/aliasing, and non-SMS 2FA?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Post your minidumps or run then through the windbg analyzer. I had a BSOD caused by my Microsoft Natural Keyboard from 2004.

Kernel mode volume control :xd:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I looked at the crash dumps and they are all over the place... two of them were Intel related affecting intelppm and semav6msr64.sys so it might be worth trying to get the latest Intel driver updates here. Given that they were all different reasons it is far more likely hardware like bad memory or power supply. You've already run memtest, do you have a way to try a different power supply?
Your BIOS does look like it has an update, but it looks like it's labeled as speculative execution related and not a feature or bug update. Still might be worth a shot.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

thanks a poo poo ton. You won't believe this but the computer turned off in the middle of the bios update (i have no idea how or why). now the computer won't boot. gigabyte claims this motherboard has dual bios so if a bios flash goes bad it will boot to the other one, but i tried everything i've read online to get it to work (hold down power and reset for 10 seconds) but this motherboard does not seem to want to switch to the backup bios chip. some more expensive boards from gigabyte have a physical switch but this one doesn't.

i guess i'm far past hosed at this point; luckily i do have another PSU i can use but since i guess i have to buy a new motherboard i'll never know if it was the motherboard or PSU giving me all these problems. i ran memtest on overnight and it came back no errors.

could a failing PSU really cause blue screens during a windows install? i figured the PC would just turn off or something, not give me IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL errors but i admit i'm not that knowledgeable in regards to bad PSUs

Yeah, it basically comes down to voltage glitches do weird things. It's kind of a cop-out answer too, which is why it would have been cool if you could test/eliminate with a PSU swap. I briefly looked at your manual, it seems like they don't tell you how to switch to the backup BIOS at all except intimating that it will auto-detect an unsuccessful boot and switch. Not sure what to do other than to talk to Gigabyte or seek out other people with that board on the Internet. Sorry your flash didn't work out.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
yeah, look in your router for a DHCP reservation and set it to use your mac. also expire your old lease on that one if it’s still present.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like this thread or its predecessors was where someone mentioned pfatt, a pfsense script that used netgraph to bypass the AT&T provided CPE so you could use your own hardware from the ONT.

Well it's 2020 now and apparently you can downgrade the firmware on the AT&T CPE and throw some query params at it, get a shell, and extract the device's certs so you can use wpa_supplicant to do EAP directly and get that stupid AT&T box off of your network.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only issue I've had with namecheap is that if you use their email aliasing they will do some filtering on their end, maybe it's better now idk. If you're going to have GSuite handle your mail that's not an issue.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
is there some agent I can run that will block out one calendar based on others?

I want my work calendar to have time blocks based on my personal and family calendar but don’t want any details on the work one or to put my personal calendars on my work computer

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
what problems are you having

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

the ears broke off this clip for my left channel. I have the spring still. what is the easiest way to fix this. can I get a baggie of new clips or should I just solder a banana connector or something on to replace the whole assembly.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

yippee cahier posted:

, 2mm banana plugs for your wire that would fit in those terminals,

oh poo poo I actually have some of those “skinny plugs” that I found the other day and was like wow wtf did I mis order from the electronics place. didn’t think about it again until you mentioned it here. thanks!!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use https://bvckup2.com

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had a cheap toner cartridge dump toner dust all over the inside of my printer.

is there a set of right angle and cone nozzles for a standard vacuum cleaner? I tried the shop vac and upright but neither suck enough to pull up everything even partially taped to “shape” suction, it’s really far back in.

I’d rather suck out than use the air compressor and risk getting it everywhere.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
can you really not dump USB devices into a VM using Hyper-V? I was trying to do this on Win11 and didn’t realize it apparently is a hassle/can’t be done

Does Microsoft have a truce to not encroach on VMWare Workstation?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Let's do a detective thing.

So at 11pm two nights ago I lose all internet in the house.

Setup: cheap docsis 2 modem -> edgerouter lite -> netgear gs108 -> the other computers as well as my ubnt access point.

gently caress. reboot. nothing. no pings.

agggg my er lite died. it happens (when the flash storage wears out). i try a factory reset (this sucks as i had 10000 forward rules and dhcp assignments all set up). nothing.

panic.

ok poo poo look for routers online. they're all 2 weeks estimated ship. gently caress. i work from home this is no good

wait, i was a lazy rear end in a top hat and never sent back my stock xfinity modem router thing. plug that in, call xfinity. spend 30 minutes having the lady try to upsell me to the service i already have. they activate, i plug it into my desktop pc, i have internet. cool thanks lady.

ok we're safe. i plug the computer and the lan side of the xfinity router into the switch.

no internet. nothing. at this point i've reset the switch too so everything's lost its lease and i can't ping anything else either.

plug the computer back into the xfinity router direct. internet. plug it into the switch. no internet.

did i kill a dumb gs108?

thats weird. they last forever.

Unplug things one at a time.

wait. its working. when i unplug my Debian server's ethernet cable? what?

i rage power cycle it (this was stupid as i coulda turned its monitor on :haw: and investigated to see what happened. )

everything works fine now.

What the gently caress happened? The only thing I can think of is that some arp table poisoning happened somehow. I don't do any routing or vpn through the linux machine. it just hangs off the network and runs lovely VMs and my plex and stuff.

not sure on the cause of initial incident, but as you were plugging things back together is it possible the Debian box with all of its VMs had a lease that your Xfinity modem handed out?

Not sure if the scopes of the consumer stuff were the same but that would be the first thing I'd look at

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
the scenario i'm thinking of is your machine which you plugged into the router got handed a lease that conflicted with something on that other box. Wouldn't be an issue until both are plugged in simultaneously.
if you had an IP address conflict between your pinging device and something on the other box, you'd experience intermittent connectivity.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
yeah that's weird.

so are you keeping the xfinity router in there for now?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I want to go from 1T to 4T SSD but only have one m.2 slot on my compy.

I'm assuming easiest way is:

• get an NVMe 2-bay cradle/disk-cloner
  • unlock Bitlocker on the source drive
  • do the clone
  • expand NTFS partition (can I do this with Disk Management natively or is it...complicated)
  • enable Bitlocker

writing this out, it almost seems that backing up and just reinstalling on the new drive would be easier.
If I decide to go through with this any idea of a good NVMe 2-disk cradle/cloner that can attach USB/TB?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
cheers y'all. Thanks that way is a lot easier.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are there any alternatives to Twilio/Telnyx/SignalWire that you've used? I'm trying to create phone numbers, have them receive SMSes, and either poll or get a webhook then react to the content of the message. The site sending them hasn't received them using numbers fronted by any of those. Maybe they're all backed by the same providers; I tried a Google Voice number and it didn't get it either.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

i can't imagine playing commander keen on anything but a gravis gamepad (no stick in the middle (long lost))

:hmmyes:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
no better place to ask this: What do your companies do for phone or tablet replacement?

trying to come up with a replacement policy for company phones and tablets (we issue iPhones and iPads). I want to make it really simple, like laptops which are 48 months or until the battery is hosed. The idea was warranty and battery issues creep up on Lenovos past four years.

so with Apple devices something like 48 months (for security updates)?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
how can I find a business that still works on printers? I have an HP workgroup color laser that is completely worthless for color printing ever since I bought some cheap toner from SA Mart. Red prints as pink.

the thing has genuine toner in it now but still prints hosed up colors. I think it needs its guts cleaned or smth idk.

do I need to look in my metro for someone that can service this thing?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don’t know I’d like to figure it out though.

I had a similar problem I posted about in the greys maybe one of their suggestions will work for you, they didn’t do anything for me: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971625&perpage=40&noseen=1&userid=52140#post526635808

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah probably. it's a lenovo X1 where the ethernet port comes as a separate cable that you have to plugin to the laptop maybe that's got something to do with it idk. also 802.1x has been broken since i upgraded it to win11 so i can't connect to the corp network via the ethernet either.

mines an X1 too. I can force click on to WiFi to be on both simultaneously but it will never do that on its own. I’m using the Lenovo thunderbolt 4 dock (garbage) as Ethernet as well.

I could probably script something using netsh if I took the time to learn powershell

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
not sure if there's a better yospos thread for this but what data stack would you look at using in 2022 if you're trying to move an org from piles of CSVs and spreadsheets into actually querying structured data from a centralized repository, but are just guessing at access patterns?

at a high level, right now this org pulls in commodity pricing data (daily cadence), economic data (monthly/quarterly), other data like temperature for zip codes, and these just collect in piles of files. Then the researchers use Excel or R or Python to analyze what they want. I'd love for these to be cataloged better, not on a SMB drive, and more so that we can use more automation and cloud stuff, or make Excel faster by using an ODBC connector instead of every spreadsheet having <giant worksheet of every data point ever since I might need/want it in my analysis>

I've used Fivetran / Snowflake / Matillion before, but that was 2019ish and the project was more about normalizing two ERPs for consistent reporting. Snowflake seemed cool but FiveTran's pricing model seemed really annoying. Panoply looks cool seems to only support Redshift and BigTable. In addition to the CSVs above I'd also love to be able to slap quickbooks, great plains, and other integrations into this easily.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

I’m not going to give my mom a Linux laptop, I wonder if it requires a special hp signed version of windows? I’ve never heard of anything like that but it seems possible, but I would also think disabling secure boot would invalidate that

Yeah you did everythign I would have thought to do, short of "reset bios to all defaults" for good measure. That has a very low probability of doing anything though. I haven't had windows installs muck up like that since installing NT4 with -0x or whatever switches.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

I've used https://files.rg-adguard.net/category in the past to get official download links. IDK if theres some API they use or if its just a compilation of manually curated links but its all official microsoft public download URLs.

afaik theres no real official download list outside of some of their enterprise portals

:wow:

Boy I remember starting up MapPoint 2004 and thinking “it doesn’t get any better than this!”

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have an AWS ALB that has routes to require auth via OIDC to view web pages on an internal Django CRUD app I control. Works great.

I want to be able to allow API users (who are still employees) to query the API hanging off this service, but obviously if I run e.g. curl without a AWSELBAuthSessionCookie set it will redirect me using OIDC to login.microsoftonline.com.

Is there a standard workflow to use OIDC to get an auth token for API? Right now all I can think of is to set the ALB to let /api/ routes through and do auth at the app level but that sucks. Perfect would be some sort of MSFT portal that would give you an auth token you could set for a request.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

my grandma rented a standard at&t telephone for $2 a month for 45 years

Was that the really heavy black one? My parents had that thing in their bedroom and it was indestructible.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dans Macabre posted:

I have a ~ business need ~ for a conference room camera in a conference room that is a circle, with people sitting all around it. Right now we have Owl. Is there anything better? I saw Logitech has some thing.

I asked this in the grey forums a little while ago.

They seemed to recommend: owl, Nexvoo, Cisco Room Series.

We ended up getting our A/V vendor out and they are getting something that "locks on" to the group of people since our board room is often 1/2 full.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
ours is a rectangular table with the camera at one end (by the screen) but I will let you know when I talk to them next.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It was the Vaddio IntelliSHOT, but the microphone to sense where people are only worked up to 10ft and our room is huge, so we kept our camera and are changing the PTZ presets so that it doesn't frame up our entire room. Looks great, boy I love having to guide our vendor experts we pay so that dumb poo poo doesn't happen.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
VOIP question: What provider should I get that can provide me a reasonably local (US) number and I can forward to wife and my phones? I don't mind janitoring a little bit but it's been 5 years since I've hosed around with asterisk.

Also what PoE phone should I get that can teach my kids worthless skills like picking up the handset to answer, etc and be able to call grandmas and stuff on speed dial :3:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Work monitor on Win11 is acting weird. Display looks good but the text "bounces" for a split second and then corrects. Not predictable and most noticable in high-contrast zones like small numbers on spreadsheets and YOSPOS.

My setup is:

Lenovo X1 <-> ThinkPad dock <-> DP cable to ThinkVision LEN P44w-10 running in 3840x1200.

No HDR and I've tried changing the monitor's control panel from DP 1.4 to downgrade to 1.2 (to no effect, in fact it might behave worse). Is this a lovely cable? It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Braided-32-4Gbps-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07VVJZJ2P/ but looking back I think I was trying to alleviate this problem so maybe it's just back?

I tried to capture what's going on with my iPhone but you can't really see anything but moire patterns through the camera.

Hed fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 8, 2024

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thank you both. The resolution is correct on the monitor. I can't seem to get the firmware update tool to run (even in admin mode, it doesn't detect the monitor, I'll have to try to bypass the dock later when I have more time). I'm running 1.3 right now.

I did set the refresh rate down from 144 to 100Hz and it seems to be behaving much better. That might have fixed it.

When you say you use USB-C do you really just use USB-C to drive the monitor? I realize I didn't elaborate we use our X1s <-> TB4 dock <-> DP cable <-> P44w-10. I can look at using USB-C over TB4 or going out USB-C to the monitor from the dock, but that will be a mindblown thing based on my understanding of the interfaces. Right now we like what we do since it's 1 Thunderbolt cable to connect for everything when docked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Was on a Teams call the other day and I actually got a decent summary + "next actions" emailed to me shortly after the call. I asked the guy hosting it (and recording it) what he used and it sounds like he stuck the audio recording into his copilot subscription (I think?).

Is there something similar that will do the summary+actions suggestion for internal meetings?

For EZ button purposes I was considering trialing poo poo like Teams Premium for the org but figuring out who is saying something is probably a lot easier when every participant has their own video stream, etc.

Would we be able to get something to record the meeting (our conference rooms have great audio) and suss out main points of who said what or is it going to be absolute garbage.