Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

We're using Symbol MC9whatever barcode scanners for our stockroom inventory and they are awful Windows Mobile 6 shitpiles that cost way too much money and I'm tired of seeing that much cash go to a company that isn't doing poo poo to advance their product. I'm looking long and hard at wrapping ipod touches up in these honeywell barcode cases https://www.honeywellaidc.com/en-US/Pages/Product.aspx?category=enterprise-sleds-for-apple-devices&cat=HSM&pid=captuvosl22v5 but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there I should be looking at. The Honeywell stuff is nice because they have 4 device charging bays. It's not a deal breaker and the shops guys could fabricate some kind of charging platform if we absolutely needed to do it, but just being able to buy something and having people drop the device in when they're done with it is nice and what the folks are already accustomed to with the Symbol devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Squinty Applebottom posted:

second one will definitely be total server memory. 16 gigs is probably overkill for your tiny baby database.

Not when your dba and programmers are crap and every single thing triggers a full table scan. Ask Me About Our lovely Oracle Database

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

prefect posted:

you can mount isos on windows 2012 with the powershell command "mount-diskimage". one of the arguments you can pass in is "-nodriveletter". if you mount an iso with no drive letter, how do you access the files on it? :confused:

mount it in to an NTFS junction or have software that knows how to access the drive by its device ID directly

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

5ghz doesn't go through floors and walls well just leave 2.4 on in parallel and devices will automatically jump over if the signal goes to poo poo

if you aren't happy with that then get one of those powerline networking things and get your router up on the second floor

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

streaming. there is a lot less compression on 5ghz

lmbo okay buddy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

and give up the sense of control that I, the power user, demand in such a childish fashion? I think not.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lease the modem from them for a month or two until they fix their poo poo then return it and plug yours back in

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

last time I did a modem swap on comcast they had a quarantine thing for unregistered modems that took you to an auth page so you could punch in some credentials and automatically switch your account over to the new MAC

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol our "dba" doesn't want to run oracle node manager as a service and instead wants us to start it as a scheduled task nevermind that the oracle documentation explicitly says to not do this and we in fact already tried this once due to a lovely contractor and it turns out that scheduled tasks have a low processor/memory/io priority which makes your massive database run like dogshit because inactive pages are constantly getting paged out good job idiot really earning your money this week

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

pram posted:

i didnt know you could install it any other way than as a service lol

WE FOUND THE STUPIDEST WAY POSSIBLE. DON'T HIRE PEOPLE WITH ONLY LINUX EXPERIENCE.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I can't remember if I posted this before or not but since GPT came up I will restate it. If you're going to use the intel ssd caching with a drive formatted as gpt, you need to leave at least 10 mb free at the end of the drive. the intel software uses that space to hold pointers to the ssd it is caching the volume with, and if that space isn't there then the option to enable ssd caching is completely missing from the software. no error or notification reported to you. this doesn't happen with mbr volumes because they leave enough slack space at the end even when you "fill" the drive with your volume for the pointers to fit.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

xeons support ECC but they don't require it. they only make sense if you're doing something where memory integrity is super-important and you can't tolerate the risk of a blue screen or you need an absurd amount of ram that only the xeons will support

ask me about my dumb-gently caress contractor that demanded their workstations user xeon processors with non-ecc ram. for "performance".

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm slapping together a shutdown/restart script that will clean out some common directories that fill with garbage. If I am cleaning out the c:\windows\temp directory, is it better to do that during shutdown or startup? Is windows still caching installer files in the system temp when it restarts for patching

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Ah, doy, forfiles makes that easy enough. Thanks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

do i7's do vt-d?

http://ark.intel.com there have been many generations of i7 processors

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Ah, doy, forfiles makes that easy enough. Thanks.

the foreach check takes the object deletion rate down to less than 1/10 of what doing a straight del /s would be I'm going to lazy route and nuking all the temp files during system startup since that processes after the windows update cleanup and hope for the best. anything important on it should have a write lock by that point anyhow.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a couple servers that run services or scripts through dedicated user accounts and a few of them keep generating multiple 1/2 meg regtrans-ms files in the user profile (both the root and buried in appdata\local) and its super annoying and needs occasional cleanup. What the heck causes this because a bunch of servers don't have this problem, just a handful that do.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

yeah now that i think about it, my 360 controller has some deadzone issues on one of its analog sticks, maybe that's it (i leave it plugged in all the time)

powercfg /lastwake will tell you what device brought the system out of sleep

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Bloody posted:

get a trackball they are poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

also i know that CIFS and SMB are the same thing but tomato makes the distinction for some reason :shrug:

CIFS is linux-ified SMB and they probably did it wrong

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

quadpus posted:

what's the best, least janitory way to back up my dad's windows (7, home premium) laptop to :yaycloud:
the ideal solution at first seemed to use the builtin windows backup to his google drive folder, but it seems you can't use that with anything except a physical drive that isn't C:

pay for a crashplan account. they do a black friday sale after thanksgiving so wait for that I guess

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

computer toucher posted:

crashplan took aaaages to back up on my ADSL upstream and it seemed like it always had like 200gb to go.. went onedrive. it's all good know.

well yeah, its heavily dependent on how big your selection is. if you're only backing up the same limited folder selection as onedrive its going to be about the same time but if you're pushing your entire system over a dsl line the initial sync will take forever. sync your user profile with appdata\local and local low excluded, probably exclude the downloads folder, maybe exclude movies or other media files you don't really care about as well. that will get you most of what you want. then have a secondary backup drive or nas as your secondary backup location to send the entire system to so you can do a full restore

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

you know why XP might still be in use for workstations but a better question is why not run it in a VM or something since apparently it's required for something important

no it is absolutely vital that we continue to run our business critical application on this shitbox dell with bad ram, a hard drive that fails smart tests (you turned them off), and a power supply that will fry every component in the system if you look at it funny

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

does anyone know of big (45"+) lcd screens with motion sensors on them so they only turn on when someone is by them? we keep putting in these stupid kiosk screens in hallways that are on 24/7 even though nobody gives a single poo poo about them and its loving up our energy reduction targets. also touch-screen enabled

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

its probably cheaper to find a motion sensor power controller for the existing monitors.

probably but I think quite a few of them are conventional TVs with tuners and I'm not sure how they would handle having power interruptions like that. I suspect the initialization delay will be too much, compared to turning the backlight on/off which is where most your power draw is going anyhow

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

get some sort of HDMI splitter/switch and put its power adapter on the motion sensor so it goes to no input. most modern tvs should sleep p quick

that's a good idea, thanks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

if you have sensor lights could you wire the tvs onto the same sensor? What I mean is that maybe the whole hallway of tvs should turn on instead of each tv individually, less granular could be better

Nothing is consistent here. We have over 100 buildings with that kind of kiosk poo poo jammed in them over the years and I need something that can retrofit on to existing equipment for <$100. Disrupting the video signal with a motion sensor seems like the best bet and hopefully most of the displays will play nice and go to sleep all on their own.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

how should I be handling RPC traffic with the windows firewall? we have some siemens software that talks over rpc and one of my coworkers broke the poo poo out of it and left it for me to fix. firewall exceptions for the services are defined by process name which I thought would be enough, but instead it hits the rpc initiator port and then fails on the handoff because its not allowing the rpc endpoint mapper ports through. I fixed it fast and dirty by making a general rule that allowed whatever inbound traffic the rpc service wanted to pass from the right ip ranges but I don't know if there is a better way to do this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

They probably disabled RC4 because of the IETF recommendation. XP/IE8 can do TLS1.0 and there's no reason to turn that off, but it can't to AES ciphers. Tell them to enable 3DES to replace the RC4 cipher and it should work fine.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

poo poo needs RC4 and im not down w/ that.

again, use 3DES

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

IE10+ appears to be dumping cookies in both the root cookies folder and cookies\low. What is going on there?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

our dba is adding host entries to the dev server and then trying to ping from the desktop and wondering why it isn't working. kill me.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

a dba a couple of jobs ago had one huge fuckoff tnsnames.ora with entries spanning multiple sites on multiple continents on a smb share that he mounted on all clients so they'd all have the same one. Of couse the server hosting the share failed one day breaking all clients in europe

you can use the TNS_ADMIN variable to point to a network location for your tnsnames file and its the only sane way to handle it honestly but lmbo if he didn't put it on its own share and set it to be always available offline or on a DFS share

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can you use some kind of oracle jank to read the connection string from a zookeeper server or a script that asks zk or something that can be made reliable and consistent between locations?

I would expect the oracle client to be able to handle http instead of cifs/smb since its just parsing a variable. but yeah barring that put your tnsnames file up on some kind of web server and configure you clients to copy it down at startup and use that local cached file

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

alright, stupid computer audio question. I dug an old 5.1 head unit out of storage to use on the computer. figured I would just hook it up over spdif but my optical cable was too short so I used an old coax I had sitting around. couldn't get it to push a test tone out from the computer to the unit, but the in-unit test works fine. ran analog over an RCA cable and that worked fine but I'm getting an annoying hum because its a cheap cable. but now I can't remember if computer sound cards will do anything besides dvd audio over spdif. so I'm not sure if I should be getting a longer optical cable or just spend money on non-poo poo analog ones

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lucked out on an off-brand optical cable at best buy that wasn't stupidly expensive. its working now and the hum is gone. I think the coax output is dead on the motherboard, not like I've ever used it before.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

oracle/rman thinger. we're doing weekly full's with nightly diffs (or incremental cumulative or whateever dumb thing rman calls them). for all of our DB's except one, the diff size grows day to day consistently like we expect. however, one of the test db's ends up having diffs that are occasionally smaller than the previous day's. this db is used for user training on our application, so I assume there are either table or entire db rollbacks occurring after training sessions are complete. I think it makes sense that this behavior could occur in that situation but one of my coworkers stumbled on it and is spooked and now doesn't trust any of our db diffs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

restore the backups somewhere. its good for u to do as a test and it will tell you if you backed poo poo up or not

yeah, we got that scheduled in a few weeks and do it annually. but we're coming off backup exec and doing the backup to disk thing and I'd like to know ahead of time if this has a chance of working since our dba is an idiot and re-scheduling tests that go badly wastes my time

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol yeah video cards from the pentium D(umb) generation couldn't do hardware decode for anything they suck shitballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my boss has me drag an old shitbox dell penium D out of the crap pile do to a demostration on the improvements for power efficiency over the last 5ish years and trying to run a 1080 30fps video on a 1600x1200 monitor couldn't actually hold 30fps and maxed out the cpu core it was running on while everything newer handed it fine because they are now doing h.264 and whatever else on the gpu. you don't remember it sucking so badly back then because the codecs had less cpu overhead and the content was never more than 480p