Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

does RC4 violate PCI compliance at this point? are there even cipher requirements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

my iphone with iOS 8.1.2 has 3 unread messages on the badge for the messages app even though all are read. any way to fix this?

I had that happen when I upgraded to 8. removing and re-adding the account cleared it out

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

since I don't know where else to put this I present to you: audiophiles rating the quality of music based on the hard drive it is played from

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

iphone 6 plus is an excellent mechanism for removing money from idiots and ushering them in to Stebe's loving arms

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

are there any 3rd party alps touchpad drivers that aren't a huge pile of poo poo for windows? the ones I have are janky as poo poo with the gestures and even basic poo poo like Press Left+Right Buttons For Middle Click has a tolerance of maybe 50ms and its loving impossible to do consistently because the people who made this thing hate humanity

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

next time I'm telling my boss to get me a macbook air or don't expect me to work remotely because gently caress this handmedown piece of poo poo dell

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Our oracle dev server has about a half-dozen copies of our production database that are used for testing various different things, each of which has its own db files backing it. It's a big pain in the rear end because they pull down fresh copies off production and overwrite the whole thing and it eats IOPS and makes backups suck. Is there a way to keep one master database and thing spin off test instances from it that only generate delta file, kinda like gold masters for vm images? this is on 11gR2

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hopefully this helps someone out because it has been driving me crazy. In Outlook 2013 with both imap accounts I was getting this super irritating behavior where I would mark an item as read, and out of nowhere it would cycle back and generally act super slow and lovely. Cleared out the outlook profile, re-added, same behavior. I lived with it for a couple months before I noticed that on the imap accounts in the lower left corner of the window there was this little FILTER APPLIED button down there. Clicked on it, found out that outlook is creating a default filter to hide marked messages on all imap accounts. Cleared out the filter, everything works fine now. Thanks a loving lot, MichaelSoft.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anyone have experience with these half-height PCIe to PCI adapter cards? I got a vendor that's trying to turn a garbage optiplex desktop in to a server because they need a PCI slot and I'm not too keen on that. looking at one of these

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Card-PEX1PCI1/dp/B0024CV3SA

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'd throw it in an R320 so I can actually monitor and keep the thing up. Its so stupidly cheap that I might as well give it a try to see if it works, the bad reviews are mostly coming from people who don't know what a half-height card means.

e: the vendor is also trying to me charge $5,000 for that optiplex that's worth $750

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

kalstrams posted:

also so avs, say avg for example, used to gently caress wiyh transfer by just being installed and running, without any scans or watching of folders

I don't think that has been a problem since vista when they changed the way the filesystem scanning hooked in

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

we're getting new netapp hardware to replace our current old as poo poo and imploding units. the storage network is running on 1gig twisted pair and my boss is being cheap and poo poo and not forking up the money 10gig switches like I need and making me limp along with the old poo poo. our bottleneck has always been the old units disk and never the network links getting saturated, but that's about to invert. how does vmware handle saturation of the storage fabric when the disk still has capacity? I'm hoping I can aggregate together enough interfaces to get 6gig total (currently only 2) but thats nothing compared to the 20gig minimum I would have from new switches

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

what are u gonna use (theoretically) for the 10g switches

two powerconnect N4032F's hooked together on an mlag

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

also I need one of those rack mount monitors that slides out and flips down so it only eats up 1U in the rack but I have no idea who makes them

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

okay yeah "console" is the more general term I should have been using. thanks!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm currently expanding a raid array. When it's done will it automatically make the logical drive bigger as well or do I need to do that separately? Also what's the difference between expanding an array and extending an array?

this is the only place I know where I'm not embarrassed to ask this question

sometimes expanding and extended an array are the same thing, with some vendors expanding means you are adding in additional drives to the array which breaks parity and all that has to be rebuilt while extending involves dropping in a new independent array and the two are addressed as a single physical unit of storage. really depends on what you're working with.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

du -hast posted:

have you thought thta it ight be the tv that u are using for a monitor? im not positive, but iirc they don't actually turn off when they're off, but use like almost as much power

lol why are you making this poo poo up

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

put a blanket around ur hot water cylinder or lower the tstat on it or stop using heaters or stop using your heat pump and only get takeaways

like the only thigns in ur house that are going to make much of an impact are light and heat sources

maybe get more efficient light bulbs??

a hosed up fridge thats running all the time will pull ~7amp, it adds up quick

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Completely legal to use 12 phones inside your own home as long as they comply with tx power maximums. Its my spectrum and I can use it however I want.

I thought 5ghz had an effective range of 20 feet. Am I wrong?

5ghz won't penetrate walls as well as 2.4ghz BUT if you're in an apartment and seeing that much signal bleed in from your neighbors then odds are your walls are thin as poo poo and that won't be much of a problem. the lower noise floor trumps the somewhat limited effective range

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

drop a hundo on an airport express and be done with it. I finally replaced my old as dirt wrt54gs on tomato with one last week and its a night and day difference

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the airport express I got auto sensed that it was behind the router from the att home gateway thing and automagically went in to AP only mode and I only run one data-heavy device at a time so I don't really care if its sharing an antenna for 2.4 and 5ghz. all the parameters I would ever want to screw around with were in the advanced options built in to my iphone and it was super easy to set the 2.4ghz channel because the noise floor at the far end of the house is crowded on different channels so it guessed wrong. A+ would buy again

Shaggar posted:

take the plates off all the wall sockets and look behind them to see if they've stuffed the junction point in one of them. some tiems they don't bother to hook everything up cause it means the cable co gets $$ for installation

not just $$$ at install. some providers will charge an extra $5/mo for each additional active drop inside the residence

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Is there some known bullshit going on with ATT's uverse core routing? my first hop keeps getting handed off between maybe one of ten different IPs and at any given moment at least one of them is performing like dogshit with a 500ms latency, then a see a few packets dropped and my route changes and things are better again for 10 minutes and it happens all over. I'm seeing very few corrected frames on the dsl gateway page so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on the line itself but something further on the backhaul. it's like they've overloaded their network and each router gets saturated until something adjusts to compensate but it makes anything jitter sensitive suck in the process

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a server that turned over for patches this month and came up with a bootmgr missing error. vm on a raid array so its not disk corruption frmo hardware. I assume one of the users did something stupid that wouldn't take effect until reboot. all the data appears to still be on the drive but the startrep tool on the install media isn't fixing it. is there a different tool I should be trying so I don't have to go to tape to get a restore for the stupid thing?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

okay now my computer has digital aids what do I do

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Maximum Leader posted:

this happens when the wrong hd or partition is set as active.

nope, right partition was set active. ended up having to rebuild the mbr and bootloader with bootrec, trashed those and nothing else. something terrible is probably happening but that system is getting retired this month so: YOLO

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

have we all agreed that the person with the mondo mailbox should be splitting their content in to a server-side archive mailbox for anything older than 6mo or 1yr and be done with it? yes? good.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yea think outlook would still index those items, returning us to square 1 tho

Exchange Search The ability to quickly search messages becomes even more critical with archive mailboxes. For Exchange Search, there's no difference between the primary and archive mailbox. Content in both mailboxes is indexed. Because the archive mailbox isn't cached on a user's computer (even when using Outlook in Cached Exchange Mode), search results for the archive are always provided by Exchange Search. When searching the entire mailbox in Outlook 2010, search results include the users' primary and archive mailbox.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979795%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

split that poo poo up, yo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I've been using nod32 happily for our corp av for years now since we dumped symantec back on v9. but now we're being offered symantec endpoint for free. are they still a total disaster on the antivirus front (more so than the rest anyway) or should I go ahead and try to save some cash

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Do you get anything other than a pat on the back for saving some money?

nope

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

enotnert posted:

We had to roll endpoint at my work last year. . . Overall it isn't completely godawful, but when it goes to scan it crushes the user experience (but from what I understand from a meeting I was in the other day, a coming update will make it shove its work to lowest priority when a user is logged in so that might alleviate the issue)

yeah, that kind of thing is why I stuck with nod32 for so long. user impact is minimal for realtime scanning and the post-update scans, and if you force a full drive scan for some reason even that isn't so bad. at least with SEP being free I can give it a go on a few systems and see how it behaves

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I am retarded, so here's a quick question: is there any reason not to use a 64 bit linux for a VM? is there a magic amount of allocated memory where 32 bit is better?

processors running in 64-bit mode can only run 32/64-bit applications so if you have some crusty 16bit stuff you'd have a problem there, or your processor is 32-bit only so you have to (lots of legacy/embedded systems fall in to that category). for your use? no reason not to use it.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the pattern won't repeat, I'm p.sure you'll the same code a couple of times in its lifecycle. the clocks in those things have to be in roughly sync with the server doing auth so the expiration date is there so you don't use a device with a dying battery that is causing the clock to drag

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if the codes never repeated, then you would be able to use previously generated code to reduce your pool of possible new codes as the device ages until it becomes wildly insecure toward the end of its life

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

disable all power management and leave it running 24/7 with a counter displaying the amount of energy you are wasting with that ancient piece of poo poo that could be replaced with a $20 SoC

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its best to converge all useless items in to a single location that we can easily avoid

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my onboard audio died and I bought one of those dumb audigy 5rxwhatever cards and I have it hooked up to a sony head unit with a 5.1 system. configured the windows audio for the 5.1 setup and turned off full-range speaker mode whatever so the low stuff get redirected to the subwoofer because the satellites aren't very good. if I'm watching flash video or listening to pandora or something the lows are redirected correctly but if I am in itunes or wmp nothing goes to the woofer what the hell is going on I hate this poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

how much memory should I allocate for a 2012r2 domain controller these days for a network with maybe 50 computers total? I figure 2gb is tight, but 3-4gb should be plenty right?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its a bit stupid because its a cluster for a scada system and the vendor is picking the hardware (some kind of cisco server) and they're capping the per-host memory at 128gb even though it could support more and if I ask too much it means another whole host along with all the additional hardware and licensing costs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm mounting up some old registry files from backup to pick through HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet but I mount up the system registry file and only Control001 and Control002 are there. Is there a different file where they are stashing this away or is that just a junction point and the data is buried in the software registry somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

use dropbox or bittorrent sync

I hit myself in the balls with a hammer