Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I think you would find that out pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

spankmeister posted:

do i7's do vt-d?

some do some don't

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

bash yr pc case when the noise happens, might make u feel better or if u get lucky put a temporary stop to the noise

ray rice problem solving tips

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have an Office365/Onedrive for business account that apparently comes with 1TB of Onedrive (it's that student deal that was circulating recently).

The online Onedrive interface is pretty terrible for general usage, and I'd get more use out of it if I could map it as a drive in explorer. I followed the instructions here: http://thetechl33t.com/2014/03/14/how-to-mount-your-onedrive-as-a-local-mapped-drive/ but it never accepts my credentials, despite the fact that the same credentials log me in just fine on the website.

Is it just some restriction on the business accounts or the type of account I have, or something else? Locally I am running Win7 and Office 2007 (which should be fine for this).

edit: I should mention that my credentials are rejected in the official OneDrive app also.

edit2: turns out that onedrive for business is complete poo poo and not at all technologically related to regular personal onedrive. I can't think of anything more microsoft than that situation.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 11, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have 8 identical machines onto which I need to load windows XP (lol) and fully update it and stuff. these computers all have OEM product keys. since I can change the product key after it's installed, I want to fully load one PC with everything I need, make a disk image out of the hard drive, and then write that image to seven more hard drives. what program would I use for that?

clonezilla

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

spankmeister posted:

and use DRBL multicast so you can image several pc's at once :pcgaming:

I've always wanted to play with that but never had an opportunity.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bloody posted:

its me, im the forums poster whose time is worth nothing

same

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

why do people hate awk

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

I'm building a gaming pc and so far all that's arrived is the graphics card and the ssd.

i figured to save myself time later on to start loading the ssd up with windows and games so i can play games when all the other parts come in.

all i have is a usb-sata connector and a macbook pro with vmware fusion on it. most bad sites say you can't install windows to a drive connected via usb. windows setup says it isn't supported and won't let me format the ssd. some sites say i can mod files and create a new iso and all this other nerd poo poo.

how do i put windows on ssd connected via usb

this is a bad idea

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Do not advocate self-harm in YOSPOS

i loev u fischemh

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

put it in your coffee grinder on the finest setting, then snort the microsd card dust to gain its knowledge

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

now i'm sort of curious if there's any imaging system that will be affected by the charge in memory cells
just snapshot the card and turn the dots into data

Not really. There are a few scanning probe techniques that MIGHT be able to determine a difference in charge state between cells, but you'd have to etch down a bit through the passivation and top metal/polysi layer(s) to get near the floating gates. Then you would probably affect the charge by scanning over it by allowing tunneling to your probe. You'd probably have to do it at milli-Kelvin temperatures to have any shot at all.

Now to image the entire surface of all the memory would take years and cost millions of dollars, and this is assuming you can even extract all the memory dies from whatever you're talking about in the first place.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

and then you need to know how to re-assemble the raw bitmap into usable data, which is really far from a trivial exercise given how complex memory management is for flash memory.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how do you turn off the thing where you shake a window around and everything else minimizes?

is it an easter egg and all of the programs see how angry I am and flee in terror?

I would like a way to make them stay and witness what happens to bad programs.

lol

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

is this the paperwhite v3 or something

its a portable kindle you can take on a voyage

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lol that apple doesn't use custom apple-logo screws

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yea we dont have office computers, everyone brings in their laptops and some of us are PC plebs so :/

surprised there isnt just like a straight up wireless hdmi thing

there are WiDi receivers that spit out HDMI. they seem to mostly get crappy reviews though.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lol if you buy an apple product with the intent to ever modify it from its one blessed form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I used google's tool to download an archive copy of one of my gmail accounts. I received a tar.bz2 roughly 3GB in size. The tar extracts to a bit over 4GB. Inside the tar is only a 600MB file, which contains only a portion of my emails. anyone know what the HECK is going on here?

edit: problem solved lol don't use windows

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 24, 2015