Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm trying to batch convert sample rates of a bunch of wav files in a folder using afconvert in bash, and i get the dreaded "segmentation fault 11" which i think is a C error... argh

code:
PATHNAME=/Users/myName/Desktop/wavs

for i in $PATHNAME/*; do
	filename=$(basename "$i")
	extension="${filename##*.}"
	filename="${filename%.*}"
	/usr/bin/afconvert -f wav -d LEI16@32000 /Users/myName/Desktop/wavs/$filename.wav /Users/myName/Desktop/newWavs/$filename.wav
done

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
lol i fixed it

wav next to -f is supposed to be 'WAVE' in quotes with an E just like that

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
prefect get one that's 5 GHz range and use that frequency and try changing the channels

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
where's the thread about fractals? i swear rotor made it, but i can't find it now

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

echinopsis posted:

the mandlebrot is worthless thread? it was my creation

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650595

oh thanks & weird i thought i did a search on like 6 pages for mandelbrot oh wait it's spelt wrong that's why :xd:

tank u

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the english language syntax is flawed or nonexistent

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
a few times when i picked up and unlocked my iphone, an alert box came up giving me the option to undo typing. although i like how it detected that i typed something by mistake, i'm curious to know what the exact circumstance this occurs. i don't think it's sophisticated enough to know that im making a bad post or so something

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

theadder posted:

shake to undo typing

it happens on the messages app i believe

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm having trouble laughing at "ayy lmao"

can someone please tell me what this means?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
so, what is it? i know lmao = laughing my rear end off

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Nintendo Kid posted:

a lot of older art of gray aliens made them look like they were going ayyyyy

thats it

i havne't found any old ones that look like this, but i found this one

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i think i'm starting to learn aye lmao, or as some people call it, ayy lmao. the spelling difference is you replace the e in "aye" with another y. i've also noticed some extreme versions where you add more than two y's

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i always wondered if you could change the location of the iphoto library, preferably and external hard drive. it really just involves dragging the library to another location and relaunching and choosing where it is. pretty awesome

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5289554

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
idiot question about compressed air that i'm about to use w/my computer's optical drive. i bought it at radioshack which is probably already a problem to begin with. i can't figure out how to get it to work! i've used compressed air many, many times in my life, so this is really frustrating. the trigger won't pull back so nothing comes out. i pulled off the cap and here's what it looks like at 3 different angles:

i tried pulling that little tab thing off, but it looked like it wouldn't do anything

side view

bottom inside view. pushing the trigger does nothing because of how the back is snapped in

i know i'm doing something real stupid, but i'm stumped :(

the directions say nothing about this

edit: NEVER MIND IT WAS THE TAB lol

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

did you pull any tabs off
there's probably a tab locking the trigger so tehy don't end up going off in transit

:suicide:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i put it in my pee hole

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
sweet :mrgw:

that just fixed my super drive on my mac. i was too lazy to find one of those cleaner discs or wait for it in the mail so i went out and bought compressed air and just shot it in the drive's slot back and forth a few times. i was kind of afraid of risking damage.. but it worked!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
can anyone give a reasonable explanation why Facebook implemented a separate messenger app?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Broken Machine posted:

yes. Their analytics showed that people replied more quickly and often to texts sent with a separate app, so the idea was to force people to move to get more business. It hasn't quite gone according to plan.

maybe because the implementation of messages in the original app was horrible? if i touch that messages icon, it should just bring it to a screen similar to the one that's in the new separate app. not have a new separate app. i also don't see how they couldn't have seen the drawback of pissing people off by putting it in a separate app

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
anyone know a good place online that talks about programming the physics of an object with a force applied to it, taking into gravity into consideration, acceleration and deceleration in a 2D environment? nothing complex about the environment or the object needs to be taken into consideration. the object will just be a ball and when it hits something it explodes or i'll figure out how it will deflect if i ever need that. just real simple where something like a cannon would be shooting it out at any angle

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Bloody posted:

ye ah its very simple just think about the physics and then turn those maths into code

ok yeah i attempted that a little bit yesterday and it turned out okay, just not quite right

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
okay.. my mom's cousin left a voicemail asking for advice getting a new computer, and she said I'M NOT GETTING MAC. so she sees me as the go-to-guy for computer advice, but i haven't touched a PC for years. she's like "i don't know if i should get a dell, or a toshiba". how the gently caress am i supposed to know?

so anyone know of a dependable cheap PC she could get these days?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Panty Saluter posted:

get a mac op

i agree and i really want to talk her into it. what do you mean by op? that means "opening poster" or "opening post" just in case you didn't know

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
gawd she's really worried because she "doesn't know how to use macs" but all she'll have to do is turn it on and hit the little safari browser icon and boom that's pretty much it

really funny though she said "i heard smart phones and PCs aren't really compatible and it's the same thing with iPhones and Macs. is this true?"

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Nintendo Kid posted:

get an dell and make here buy the highest level warranty thing because that includes next business day repair stuff from dell if she fucks things up hth

good to know. i looked up the most reliable computers and all sites i saw started with apple :smug:
dell and asus are always neck and neck but HP always comes in third forth

Apple: 19%
Dell: 12%
Asus: 11%
HP: 11%
Acer: 9%
Lenovo: 9%
Toshiba: 9%
Samsung: 7%
Sony: 6%
Alienware: 3%
Fujitsu: 1%
MSI: 1%
Panasonic: 1%

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-advice/laptop/3419512/most-reliable-laptop-makers-revealed/

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

enotnert posted:

dell owns alienware, hope this helps

well the division that handles alienware really sucks apparently

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

lampey posted:

Do you have a reason not to get a chromebook?
get a chromebook

i think you're joking

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
what the hell chromebooks can't actually be that good

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i guess i should leave that option open too then

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
how did NES do fade to black transitions and the reverse of that? it seems like the NES did over enough colors to get darker versions of the current palette especially for a smooth transition

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you look closely at a lot of games that use that effect, they're just halfassing it through close-enough palette changes, and some others will do it by setting palettes to just change some of the pixles straight to black as part of the fade.

ah, yeah i think i saw the 2nd one in chip n dale rescue rangers

really looks like a smoother transition than that though so i guess it's an effective trick

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the palette is not in any convenient order to my knowledge so they would probably have to make a list of what colors turn to what darker ones

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
neat

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
for the nes i dont even think a screen could have all the colors used with the combo of a background color, tiles and sprites and i believe tiles and sprites can only use 3 colors plus a transparent

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
what would stop me from testing an integer for being set to infinity in obj-c? for some reason it's not working

code:
int infinity = INFINITY;

if(infinity == INFINITY){

NSLog(@"this is infinity");

}

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
ah, you're right. other places where i have stuff set to infinity are floats. i still have lots of integers set to infinity, and it seems to work correctly, but i never have tested if they are set to infinity until now

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm going to just update those ints set to infinity sometimes to floats. i was going to test for INT_MAX, but i'm afraid i've been just assuming that those int values were infinity and stayed that way, but were really just a big number

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i'm trying to find that gif animation of that guy talking on a cell phone which morphs into a screen that he crams his face into, all the while getting fatter and fatter

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
my iphone with iOS 8.1.2 has 3 unread messages on the badge for the messages app even though all are read. any way to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sniep posted:

edit > read all doesnt do anything?

nope :(