Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Unless we're talking Iron Man.

Welcome to the third installment of

COMIC BOOK MOVIE MEGATHREAD!

Where we talk about past and upcoming comic book inspired/based/ect. movies from Asterix to X-men!

We're looking to stick to the films, so major comic chatter can head on over to BSS. So things like major comic announcements belong somewhere over there. Say for example "Hey Captain America is black in the comics now!" or "Thor is a lady also not really Thor". This is the place for movie nerd poo poo.

Also don't be a creep.

Links
CineD Rules Thread
The BSS Movie thread
The BSS Animation thread
BSS TV Thread
Arrow TVIV Thread
Agents of SHIELD TVIV Thread
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Snowpiercer thread
X-Men: Days of Future Past thread
Man of Steel thread
Amazing Spider-man film thread
Dredd thread
Thread for CineD Rules

UPCOMING MOVIES:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

trailer

"In the far reaches of space, an American pilot named Peter Quill finds himself the object of a manhunt after stealing an orb coveted by the villainous Ronan. In order to evade Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with a group of misfits including Gamora, Rocket, Drax the Destroyer, and Groot. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb and the menace it poses to the cosmos, he must rally his ragtag rivals for a last, desperate stand – with the galaxy's fate in the balance."

August 1, 2014

You're welcome.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

trailer

"Darkness has settled over New York City as Shredder and his evil Foot Clan have an iron grip on everything from the police to the politicians. The future is grim until four unlikely outcast brothers rise from the sewers and discover their destiny as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The Turtles must work with fearless reporter April O'Neil and her wise-cracking cameraman Vern Fenwick to save the city and unravel Shredder's diabolical plan."

August 8, 2014 - thread

SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR

trailer

"Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is an upcoming 2014 American crime thriller film and sequel to the 2005 film Sin City"

Like the last movie it's an anthology. This time some of the stories are new instead of adaptions of old stories.

August 22, 2014

KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE

Apparently based on a comic.

trailer

"Kingsman: The Secret Service is based upon the comic book by Mark Millar, and depicts a veteran secret agent who leads a young protege into the world of espionage"

October 24, 2014

BIG HERO 6

I actually didn't realize this was coming out this year!

trailer

"Set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo (a portmanteau of San Francisco and Tokyo), a young robotics prodigy named Hiro Hamada and his self-created robot Baymax uncover a criminal plot and pull together a team of inexperienced crime-fighters, including Wasabi, Honey Lemon, GoGo Tomago, and Fred to solve the mystery surrounding the crime."

November 7, 2014

Avengers: Age of Ultron - May 1, 2015

"With S.H.I.E.L.D. destroyed and the Avengers needing a break from stopping threats, Tony Stark creates Ultron, a self-aware, self-teaching, artificial intelligence, who can assess threats and control Stark's Iron Legion. However, things quickly go awry when Ultron decides that humans are the main enemy and sets out to eradicate them from Earth."

Ant-Man - Still set for July 17, 2015

"Con-man Scott Lang must aid his mentor Dr. Hank Pym in safeguarding the mystery of the Ant-Man technology, which allows its user to decrease in size but increase in strength, from various menaces and plot a caper to defend the Earth."

Untitled Fantastic Four reboot - June 19, 2015

No premise yet, but I'd file this away with Sin City 2 in "believe it when you see it." even though they have boots on the ground.

The Amazing Spider-Man 3
X-Men: Apocalypse
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - with Ben Affleck as Batman and a bunch of other people as other comic people
Untitled Captain America sequel - Russo brother return! So good news for those of us who liked Cap 2 (everyone).

Untitled The Wolverine sequel
Untitled Fantastic Four sequel

*Comic-con is coming up too, so expect a handful of announcements from that.*

Past Comic Book Films of Note

Richard Donner Superman: Superman, Superman 2
-Regarded as classics of the genre, Superman 2 is said to best be watched as "The Richard Donner cut"

Tim Bruton Batman: Batman, Batman Returns
-The first made in 1989, it included darker elements than the previous Adam West version or the Superman films.

Blade, Blade 2, Blade Trinity
Sam Raimi Spider-man: Spider-man, Spider-man 2, Spider-man 3
Bryan Singer X-men: X-men, X-men 2
-These three are credited for opening the gates for the boom in modern comic book movie adaption.

Christopher Nolan Batman Triolgy: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises
-Takes a more serious tone than comic book movies before it, with the downside of some producers thinking things need to be "grittier".

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The Winder Soldier, Thor, Thor the Dark World, Avengers
-Credited for working to build a cohesive cross-film universe, much like it's inky originators.

Persepolis
-An impressive, award-winning foreign film that shows you don't need punching to make an amazing comic movie.

Lastly, seriously don't be a creep.

Fishylungs fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fishylungs posted:

August 22, 2014

KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE

Apparently based on a comic.

trailer

"Kingsman: The Secret Service is based upon the comic book by Mark Millar, and depicts a veteran secret agent who leads a young protege into the world of espionage"

I think this is another one of those "Mark Millar writes a comic with the intention of it becoming a movie" thing. It's directed by Matthew Vaughn, so I hope it would at least be as fun as X-Men: First Class or the first Kick-rear end. Interesting that he chose this over Kick-rear end 2 and Days of Future Past, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Check out that new thread smell man.

Kingsman looks pretty great considering the comics are pretty much poo poo. That cast is pretty legit too.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Agents of Shield is a better show than Arrow, not even joking.
After episode 13 the show just saw a massive leap in quality and it made the flaws of Arrow stick out like a sore thumb.

Arrow is extraordinarily poorly written and so CW(see:really corny soap opera) that it's painful to watch, I think that all it has going for it are the action sequences and the fact that they have pretty much free reign on using most of the DC universe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Deakul posted:

Clearly you are, because I just laughed out loud. Good poo poo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 19, 2014

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Kingsman looks pretty great considering the comics are pretty much poo poo. That cast is pretty legit too.

The MSJ posted:

I think this is another one of those "Mark Millar writes a comic with the intention of it becoming a movie" thing. It's directed by Matthew Vaughn, so I hope it would at least be as fun as X-Men: First Class or the first Kick-rear end. Interesting that he chose this over Kick-rear end 2 and Days of Future Past, though.

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one thinking it might not be abysmal. I saw the preview before Days of Future Past and was surprised it actually got a laugh out of me. It lost me at Colin Firth but got me back at Michael Caine and Samuel L Jackson.

Also I figured that was everything Mark Millar does now, isn't it?

Deakul posted:

After episode 13 the show just saw a massive leap in quality and it made the flaws of Arrow stick out like a sore thumb.

Arrow is extraordinarily poorly written and so CW(see:really corny soap opera) that it's painful to watch, I think that all it has going for it are the action sequences and the fact that they have pretty much free reign on using most of the DC universe.

Thanks for reminding me! I forgot to include links to the TV show threads.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I still can't wait for the Nemesis film. Mark Millar loving gets it, man. I love his comics so much.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don't know poo poo about Mark Millar or his comics but I thought the trailer for Kingsman was promising.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hey, listen!

Aug. 1, 2014: "Guardians of the Galaxy"
May 2, 2015: "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
July 17, 2015: "Ant-Man"
May 6, 2016: "Captain America 3" [not official title]
July 8, 2016: Untitled film
May 5, 2017: Untitled film
July 28, 2017: Untitled film
November 3, 2017: Untitled film
July 6, 2018: Untitled film
November 2, 2018: Untitled film
May 3, 2019: Untitled film

So, let's say Thor 3, Avengers 3, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther fill in four of those spots. Who else is up for grabs?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Inkspot posted:

Hey, listen!

May 6, 2016: "Captain America 3" [not official title]
July 8, 2016: Untitled film
May 5, 2017: Untitled film
July 28, 2017: Untitled film
November 3, 2017: Untitled film
July 6, 2018: Untitled film
November 2, 2018: Untitled film
May 3, 2019: Untitled film

So, let's say Thor 3, Avengers 3, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther fill in four of those spots. Who else is up for grabs?

Captain Marvel has to be one.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Guardians 2? Hulk? Maybe another Iron Man, with or without RDJ?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
They're just claiming the dates; unlikely that they've actually finalized what most of those films will be at this point.

Variety reports that Doctor Strange is the July 2016 film - don't think that's much of a surprise at this point.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

teagone posted:

Forgot about that one.

Slotting in Avengers 3 for July 2018, which is pretty likely, that leaves two movies to potentially start Phase 4. Even if it all falls apart by then, three Avengers movies, a dozen individual movies, and a handful of ABC/Netflix shows is a lot of material.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It is rumored that Edgar Wright refused to include a Moon Knight cameo in Ant Man, perhaps they want to launch their own Batman franchise?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deakul posted:

Hahaha good one. Agents of Shield is terrible. It became less terrible after Winter Soldier, but it is still a bland boring show. I bet they do villain of the week poo poo again until Avengers 2 comes out aka another 16 poo poo eps followed by 6 mediocre ones.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

I still can't wait for the Nemesis film. Mark Millar loving gets it, man. I love his comics so much.

The only thing Millar "gets" is how to pander to edgy 13-year-old boys.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hahaha good one. Agents of Shield is terrible. It became less terrible after Winter Soldier, but it is still a bland boring show. I bet they do villain of the week poo poo again until Avengers 2 comes out aka another 16 poo poo eps followed by 6 mediocre ones.

I would be perfectly happy if they did Fridge escapee of the week for a good chunk of the second season.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I would be perfectly happy if they did Fridge escapee of the week for a good chunk of the second season.

This is honestly what I was hoping for in season 1, with a bunch of c and d list villains. But instead they made up a bunch of new characters, for the most part.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty hard for me to take spy movies seriously after watching Tinker, Taylor, Soldier Spy. Thankfully, these two movies share cast members! Might not be good, but at least there will be good acting.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Deakul posted:

Agents of Shield is a better show than Arrow, not even joking...

Why are you even posting this in the movie thread?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sleepingbuddha posted:

Why are you even posting this in the movie thread?

The Avengers is not just a movie; it's a multimedia franchise event.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Inkspot posted:

Slotting in Avengers 3 for July 2018, which is pretty likely,

I wonder if Marvel would consider going with a four year break until Avengers 3. Would give them 3 more movies to build to it, it wouldn't need the build, but theoretically perhaps three space-themed movies for Thanos? Something like:

May 6, 2016: "Captain America 3"
July 8, 2016: "Doctor Strange"
May 5, 2017: "Guardians of the Galaxy 2"
July 28, 2017: "Black Widow" + Hawkeye or Bucky (since I figure they'll throw someone else in there in support)
November 3, 2017: "Thor 3"
July 6, 2018: "Captain Marvel"
November 2, 2018: "Planet Hulk" + Guardians cameo
May 3, 2019: "Avengers 3"

Then coinciding with all this, is their MCU TV "Phase II" push ala the Netflix Defenders model which might be something like Punisher, Ghost Rider and Blade.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

teagone posted:

As much as I want this to happen, I really don't have that much faith in them putting so much weight behind a woman-led superhero movie that soon. Unless you mean Mar-Vell, but even that is unlikely I think.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 19, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teek posted:

I wonder if Marvel would consider going with a four year break until Avengers 3. Would give them 3 more movies to build to it, it wouldn't need the build, but theoretically perhaps three space-themed movies for Thanos? Something like:

May 6, 2016: "Captain America 3"
July 8, 2016: "Doctor Strange"
May 5, 2017: "Guardians of the Galaxy 2"
July 28, 2017: "Black Widow" + Hawkeye or Bucky (since I figure they'll throw someone else in there in support)
November 3, 2017: "Thor 3"
July 6, 2018: "Captain Marvel"
November 2, 2018: "Planet Hulk" + Guardians cameo
May 3, 2019: "Avengers 3"

Then coinciding with all this, is their MCU TV "Phase II" push ala the Netflix Defenders model which might be something like Punisher, Ghost Rider and Blade.

They already said they're not doing a Black Widow movie because they "wouldn't get credit."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

They already said they're not doing a Black Widow movie because they "wouldn't get credit."

What does that even mean?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

They basically said something along the lines of the fact that she was already appearing in movies means they wouldn't get 'credit' for having a female lead and also it would devalue mumble mumble a load of bullshit.

quote:

"Frankly if we do a Black Widow movie after Age of Ultron, when she’s been central in three or four movies I don’t think we’d get the quote unquote credit for it," he said. "People would say ‘She’s already a big giant superhero!’ But if we had a great idea, we’d do it."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

Obviously Disney was copying off someone else's paper during Civics.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

They basically said something along the lines of the fact that she was already appearing in movies means they wouldn't get 'credit' for having a female lead and also it would devalue mumble mumble a load of bullshit.

That's loving stupid.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't see them pushing off Avengers 3 four years after Avengers 2. The July date in 2018 seems most likely for it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha, this is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread. Having this bullshit genuflecting attitude is just an excuse not to try, perhaps because they know they'd gently caress it up.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I sort of see what they are saying...kind of. Since she has been in so many of the films there may be backlash as to why they aren't green lighting a new female super flick and instead going back to the well.

But "the internet would be mean, so we won't" is a really dumb excuse.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Optimist with doubt posted:

I sort of see what they are saying...kind of. Since she has been in so many of the films there may be backlash as to why they aren't green lighting a new female super flick and instead going back to the well.

But "the internet would be mean, so we won't" is a really dumb excuse.
What they're saying is "Black Widow's already been in movies so no-one will line up to suck our figurative dick for our 'daring' in making a superhero movie with a female headliner, and if no-one's going to suck our dick about it then why even loving bother?"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm so sorry that you feel that way.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/18/marvels-agents-of-shield-producers-on-rebuilding-shield-in-season-2

http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/agents_...Zap2It+-+DVD%29

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

First reactions to GotG are in. General consensus is very positive. Some are even saying it's better then Cap 2.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Liar Lyre posted:

First reactions to GotG are in. General consensus is very positive. Some are even saying it's better then Cap 2.

Uhhh... :psyduck:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Saw that too. Interesting if the general public is viewing the MCU films as a straight-up series of films rather than a series of intertwining sequels.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Wait, is it not the sequel to Flight Of The Navigator?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Colonel Whitey posted:

Maybe another Iron Man, with or without RDJ?

Can I please have a movie about Rescue?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Early buzz for Man of Steel was off the charts, too, so I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet.

• Locked thread