Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tilda Swinton will play 57 out of the 68 characters. Male or female, young or old, pansexual nymph or otherwise.

This will happen for a few seconds when Doctor Strange and Scarlet Witch's magic intersect, before they do it again and fix reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Codependent Poster posted:

No they're talking about Infinity War, which is probably going to have every Marvel character they've created in it at one point or another, including all the Netflix shows and Agents of SHIELD.

Duh. I'm an idiot.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just watched Godzilla. Really pretty movie with some rather generic boring human characters and to little Godzilla. So in another words it was - for better and worse- a true Godzilla movie. Also, Godzilla himself was pretty much perfect.

Loved the scene with the falling jets and Godzilla charging his atomic breath.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 28, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Martman posted:

The Flash cameo in BvS should just consist of a split second of a red blur going by, and all the characters going "Hey what was that???"

I just want someone to wince and say "That's rough, buddy" when it's mentioned that he's the fastest man alive.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Gatts posted:

"He's just a...Flash...in the pan." - Batman/Superman.

The R rated version will have Cavill doing a Cockney Superman and go "Oi you're a flashy oval office aren't ya?"

Also they can have the superman / Wonder Woman / invisible man loving joke in there as well with full nudity !

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Gatts posted:

"He's just a...Flash...in the pan." - Batman/Superman.

i'm excited to see batman and superman fusion dance

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Taylor-Johnson is 'boring' because his role in the film is to be the normal person who has the whole metaphorical battle going on in his subconscious.

When you try to have the human characters compete with Godzilla for attention in one of these movies, you end up with the anime ninja teams and whatever. Anime ninja team movie, featuring Godzilla.

He's a cypher for the most part. People were probably expecting him to be the protagonist or at least a focal character but he supplied a narrative point of view for the second act with pretty much zero agency. Godzilla was mostly absent for the first two acts (apart from the opening credits montage his name isn't until mentioned 44 minutes into the film and he doesn't appear until the 59 minute mark) and the audience isn't sure whether he's a villain or not to start with but it turns out he was actually the protagonist.
It's not until the climax that Ford stop just going with the flow and starts being proactive, torching the MUTO eggs and taking the boat out to sea.

Bryan Cranston/Joe Brody was the false protagonist used the get the plot rolling but he hung around too long (I'm guessing that his role was beefed up after the success of Breaking Bad but I can't remember if that was confirmed or not) and that may have also confused audiences.

The director actually goes to a fair amount of trouble showing that Ford is just a narrative point of view and restricts him even further in key action scenes, encasing him in vehicles or isolating him on bridges (or both at the same time!) to distance him from from the events and limit his agency. In the scene where the MUTO first appears Ford is locked inside a van and the director actually adds a second layer of encasement by having him put on a gas mask which restricts his vision and even his hearing. During the first fight between Godzilla and the MUTO Ford is trapped inside a train which is isolated on a monorail and he also has a child he has to care for. When the MUTO attacks the military train Ford is stuck out on a bridge. If he'd been a standard action movie hero he'd be leaping about striving to make a difference but in each of these situations he could only watch helplessly while the world gets torn apart around him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which is totally in keeping with the spirit of Godzilla movies.

The protagonist of Godzilla films is Godzilla himself. The scale is too large for one human to matter too much.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

The scale is too large for one human to matter too much.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
But it took the rest of the cast to convince Serazawa the oxygen destroyer had to be used. Then they needed the military's help to deliver it. He was important but he wasn't acting alone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What was said above.

Gojira is actually one of the most character driven ones too, and it's still entirely an ensemble work.

Which is great. Really wish the Transformer movies would take a cue from that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Serazawa's ability to kill Godzilla isn't what made him matter, it was his sacrifice to ensure that his scientific breakthrough wouldn't create another disaster. :colbert:

... and then they went and rolled that back in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah when it turns out that the use of the oxygen destroyer in '54 led to the creation of Destoroyah in 1996. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Bryan Cranston/Joe Brody was the false protagonist used the get the plot rolling but he hung around too long (I'm guessing that his role was beefed up after the success of Breaking Bad but I can't remember if that was confirmed or not) and that may have also confused audiences.

Cranston was already cemented as a star at this point and had appeared in numerous other films, BB was pretty much a non issue at that point.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Cranston was already cemented as a star at this point and had appeared in numerous other films, BB was pretty much a non issue at that point.

He was cemented as an actor, as far as I can tell the only live action theatrically-released film he'd actually starred in at that point was something called Cold Comes the Night which brought in less than $20k.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was cemented as an actor, as far as I can tell the only live action theatrically-released film he'd actually starred in at that point was something called Cold Comes the Night which brought in less than $20k.

He wasn't the star if Godzilal either but he appeared in plenty of films between 2008 and 2014 and tons of TV. And since Godzilla he another dozen credits on IMDB. All I'm saying is his profile had already been raised by Breaking Bad by that point. Hell BB had pretty much wrapped filming before Godzilla even came out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bryan Cranston could have beat Godzilla if he turned into the Snizzard.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TurkishAirlines/status/704126348420190209

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Turkish Airlines partnership with BvS and multiple exclusives is the weirdest thing to me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WB is probably trying to repeat the financial success of Man of Steel, where the budget was mostly paid by product placements. I read somewhere that MoS cost WB just a little bit higher than Deadpool for Fox because of this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
"We use Turkish airlines in our film because Batman vs Superman represents a certain level of high conceptual value and I think Turkish airlines represents that same level of excitement and value to us. That's what's got me really excited about this project."

:lol: Whatever you say Snyder.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Open scene to Alfred preparing a Coke for Bruce after returning from a mission. Centre label in frame.

Alfred "Ah master Bruce it is good to see you returned. Care for a refreshing beverage?"

Cut to Bruce, cowl removed and sweating profusely

Bruce grabs the bottle, label out and drinks deeply

"Thanks Alfred...I needed...,"

A large explosion rock the batcave. Dust covering the interior.

A figure approaches the camera, standing regally. He tilts his head down. The camera follows his gaze.

Bruce is covered in rubble and reaching out, his hand grasping for the Coke bottle.

The figure kicks the bottle away and the camera pans up.

Superman holds a Mt Dew bottle and strikes a pose as the sun shines from behind.

After finishing a thirst quenching drink he looks at the camera.

"Do the dew"

End scene.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"We use Turkish airlines in our film because Batman vs Superman represents a certain level of high conceptual value and I think Turkish airlines represents that same level of excitement and value to us. That's what's got me really excited about this project."

:lol: Whatever you say Snyder.

It makes sense when you realize its actually an intercontinental subway (the name is ironic)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Open scene to Alfred preparing a Coke for Bruce after returning from a mission. Centre label in frame.

Alfred "Ah master Bruce it is good to see you returned. Care for a refreshing beverage?"

Cut to Bruce, cowl removed and sweating profusely

Bruce grabs the bottle, label out and drinks deeply

"Thanks Alfred...I needed...,"

A large explosion rock the batcave. Dust covering the interior.

A figure approaches the camera, standing regally. He tilts his head down. The camera follows his gaze.

Bruce is covered in rubble and reaching out, his hand grasping for the Coke bottle.

The figure kicks the bottle away and the camera pans up.

Superman holds a Mt Dew bottle and strikes a pose as the sun shines from behind.

After finishing a thirst quenching drink he looks at the camera.

"Do the dew"

End scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCeFJ66oRM

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Batman discovers Lex Luthor's diabolical plot of making beefmen hit each other after a grueling sleepless weeklong bout of detective work, kept awake by sheer force of will, and the caffeine boost of the many DRINK OF STEEL (tm) Edition Five Hour Energy's littered around the batputer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clearly you guys don't remember the massive Diet Coke ad for the 1989 Batman film.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was John Wick originally a Punisher script, or was it always its own thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Was John Wick originally a Punisher script, or was it always its own thing?

Killing a man's loved ones and thus sending him on a path of revenge is a trope that predates the Punisher. It was unrelated.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5E1ZORlKMU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Clearly you guys don't remember the massive Diet Coke ad for the 1989 Batman film.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhvTUhqJR5M

Disappointed to not see Bats himself take a sip. Maybe these ads work on the same rule as those Hostess ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yup. It was on constantly, shown in theaters. Hell they even put it on the VHS in case people forgot about it by the time it hit home video.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm just glad that Sears probably paid a lot of money to be the store that got blown up in Smallville.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Really, those wintergreen Lifesavers were the only product placement that wasn't something that got destroyed in Man of Steel, and that's probably because we never saw them. I'm expecting a Turkish Airlines plane to be destroyed mid-air by the look of things.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://whowillwingame.batmanvsuperman.com/

And now have the browser game :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqsDwASsGN8

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm just glad that Sears probably paid a lot of money to be the store that got blown up in Smallville.

This is the reason why I never understood the complaints about the product placement in MoS. Warner Bros took money from Sears and IHOP and then blew up their establishments. It's funny!

If the rumored Wonder Woman through the decades trilogy happens, I hope we get a 70s Diana Prince walking into a Victoria's Secret and setting fire to every bra.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y8iRvQdSGA

Lex bit is golden.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Martman posted:

The Flash cameo in BvS should just consist of a split second of a red blur going by, and all the characters going "Hey what was that???"

This, but then Superman also disappears in a blur and reappears holding the limp body of Flash by the cowl. I love Flash but I can't figure out exactly how fast he would have to be to not be completely upstaged by Superman, who showed to be ridiculously fast in Man of Steel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grendels Dad posted:

This, but then Superman also disappears in a blur and reappears holding the limp body of Flash by the cowl. I love Flash but I can't figure out exactly how fast he would have to be to not be completely upstaged by Superman, who showed to be ridiculously fast in Man of Steel.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wonder if pepsico would sponsor a mountain dew forum avatar for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I am vaguely aware of how fast Flash can potentially go in the different source materials, it's just that making him able to go that fast in the movies would create a similar problem to giving Superman his ridiuclous ever-expanding set of Silver Age powers. He'd make the other superheroes redundant in the problem-solving area.

• Locked thread