Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the stock power steering feed line is a 3/8 inverted flare, or something similar to that, right? i know i have seen IF to AN adapters, intended for fuel lines but w/e. might be easier to throw a $10 fitting at it instead of having a custom line made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Something along those lines, yeah. Only problem is that the pump end has this crazy double-bent hard line section that I think is just going to cause more problems than it solves if I try to use it. Also, I'm not opposed to replacing a 50+ year old rubber hose.

I'm heading to a birthday brunch today that I completely forgot about (and it's for my birthday...) so I will not be getting that hoist. Unfortunately, next weekend is looking iffy as well, but I can at least do some cleaning and mapping of the fuel system even if I don't pull this anchor out.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

crazy double-bent hard line section

That has to be there just for space concerns, right?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, it kinda wraps around the bottom of the pump after snaking around some stuff and then the fitting goes into the back of the pump. It's kinda goofy. I'll see what it looks like when the LQ goes in, but I'm planning on getting a new one made.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
also, if you're not using AN lines, you could investigate whether the output fitting on the pump could be changed from AN to the correct inverted flare to take the stock line. with the old-style saginaw, the fitting just unscrews and you can put whatever on there. when i put the vortec in my '65 impala, the motor's pump had a metric fitting on it if memory serves, so i just took the fitting from the original pump in the car and put it on the 35-years-newer pump going in.

you're using a newer type 2 setup, which i don't have any experience with, so it might be completely different!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, it's a new "Type 2" pump with an AN fitting on a hard line.

Pump: https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...s/parts/198-101
Line: https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...s/parts/198-203

With the line attached to the pump, the opening points pretty much straight to the driver's side. The opening on the OEM pump pointed straight back so even if I had an adapter I don't think that OEM hard line would be too happy trying to make a hard right turn into the pump. Appreciate you guys looking out for me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Another boring update this weekend.

Wife's car was unavailable yesterday and this morning as expected so the hoist was not rented and therefore the anchor remains in the car. The lovely weekend was not wasted, however.

Pulled all of the old fuel lines out of the car yesterday. It's all getting replaced with AN stuff so it all came out. Today was then spent cleaning and tidying. Literally cleaning the body above the gas tank with soapy water and a scrub brush and then tidying the engine bay a bit with pulling the old e-fan wiring and the charcoal canister. Also mapped out where the new fuel lines (feed and return), filter, and regulator will go. Ordered another set of brackets as I'm going to need a few more to finish up.

Once I get the tank and regulator I'll figure out what kind of angles I'm going to need for my fittings and see how much hose it's going to take to plumb this thing. I plan on getting all my hose and fittings from RaceFlux as they run their own manufacturing and store so they've got some kickass discounts at certain price points. I'd originally planned on getting the plumbing done before the LQ went in, but now I think I'm going to put that in first so I kinda know where my finish line is for the fuel line. I'll get the regulator mounted first and then order fittings once I know exactly where stuff is gonna go.

No pictures today as it would have just been a big pile of old crap. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get some movement next weekend.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I plan on getting all my hose and fittings from RaceFlux as they run their own manufacturing and store so they've got some kickass discounts at certain price points.

Those look like drat good prices. Bookmarked for later use.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Once that discount kicks in they are pretty drat good. 30% on $149+ takes a big bite out of it when you're buying a couple hundred dollars worth of poo poo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Glorious progress!

First order of business was going and renting the hoist. Drag all the poo poo home and put it together and then discover that the hydraulic ram doesn't move. poo poo. Take that back and swap it for another one that does work. Tested that one while I was picking it up. Go back home and then get to work. Hook it up, put some tension on it, wiggle things around a bit, and then bang out the mount bolts with a socket extension and a hammer. Then it's just up-up-and-away. I did lower the car back to the ground to buy myself a couple free inches of "lift". Popped it on an HF cart for the time being.

Then I grabbed the LQ and set that down on my other cart (wrestled the transmission off of it for the time being) so I could play with the bellhousing. If you're not familiar, the bellhousing opening (and therefore the trans input shaft) should be centered to the crankshaft. This cuts down on side loads on the input shaft, makes shifting easier, and has the potential to possibly free up a couple horsepower. I attempted to get this done alone but quickly discovered that I couldn't so I had to wait for my wife to get back home. More on that in a bit.

I did have some other poo poo to do so I wasn't just waiting around twiddling my thumbs. Last weekend or the weekend before, I pulled the gas tank and cleaned up the tank hangers. Wire wheeled, primed, and painted with caliper paint. Last week I ordered some 1/8" rubber so today I hosed them down with Super 77 and stuck things together.

Stuck some strips on the body where the old stuff was and put the hangers back with some shiny new hardware.

As I was cleaning up my mess from that, my wife got home. I needed her to turn the engine via crank bolt while I read the dial indicator on the back. Installed the indexing plate, set up the indicator and had her give it some spins. Unfortunately, I did not get incredibly lucky and have my regular straight dowels put things where they need to be. I'm gonna order some .007" offset dowels and I'll be good.

I'd fully expected the need to order some offset dowels so I'm not really disappointed that the LQ didn't go in today. That's exactly what I figured would happen. Hopefully I'll get them later this week and I can get the bellhousing aligned and ready for install. With that settled, I picked the shitpile back up and hung it on the stand...

...and tucked away the LQ ready for more bellhousing shenanigans. The strap is just a little bit of insurance that it stays tight on the cart.

Then I went and returned the hoist. If all goes according to plan, I'll go rent it again next weekend. Yeah it kinda sucks tossing money at rentals, but it's way cheaper than buying one that I'd have to figure out where to store. Space is already at a bit of a premium out there. I'm gonna go run out tomorrow and grab some new mount bolts. Hopefully by this time next Saturday that LQ will be sitting on the mounts.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
man, you arent kidding, prices have gone up considerably since i last looked. i remembered them being ~$100 for 1-ton and ~$200 for 2-ton new, and i got my 2-ton on craigslist for $100.

they're $370 new now, though it looks like you can still get some used stuff in the $150-$200 range.

i ended up with 3 of them over the years, and recently turned down a fourth. idk, they're useful to have around imo

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh, something I forgot to mention in the above post -

I don't recall who pointed it out, but that "replace this bolt with a longer one to hold the fuel pump pushrod on an SBC" trick totally works. I pulled the fuel pump off to get to the engine mount bolt and wanted to reinstall it after getting it on the stand. Thread is 3/8"-16 for anyone playing along at home.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Do AutoZone and oreilley rent hoists for free? I've always used them for specialty tools I've been too lazy or cheap to buy. Through inertia I still don't own a pickle fork, spring compressor, or rear brake piston tools. :v: They're less than a mile away so it's not a big deal but I really should remedy that at some point.

Good progress, glad you're not rushing anything and doing it just how you like/the right way.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Suburban Dad posted:

Do AutoZone and oreilley rent hoists for free? I've always used them for specialty tools I've been too lazy or cheap to buy. Through inertia I still don't own a pickle fork, spring compressor, or rear brake piston tools. :v: They're less than a mile away so it's not a big deal but I really should remedy that at some point.

Good progress, glad you're not rushing anything and doing it just how you like/the right way.

Mine doesn't. Nothing that big. I've borrowed other stuff from them, slide hammers, bigass torque wrenches, steering wheel pullers, etc. Hand tools, mainly.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh, something I forgot to mention in the above post -

I don't recall who pointed it out, but that "replace this bolt with a longer one to hold the fuel pump pushrod on an SBC" trick totally works. I pulled the fuel pump off to get to the engine mount bolt and wanted to reinstall it after getting it on the stand. Thread is 3/8"-16 for anyone playing along at home.

It is so easy, yeah. Especially compared to other "tricks" I've seen on the internet.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It is so easy, yeah. Especially compared to other "tricks" I've seen on the internet.

I mean, that has to be the purpose of that hole, right? The short factory bolt does nothing. I was jacking around with needle-nose pliers and a screwdriver before I remembered the bolt thing and was having a hell of a time. With the engine on a stand!. I can't believe I swapped that thing out with it still in the car.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can't imagine it has any other use than for ease of assembly. Also, you don't have to find a separate bolt to thread in there, I think I just used one of the fuel pump mounting bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine it has any other use than for ease of assembly. Also, you don't have to find a separate bolt to thread in there, I think I just used one of the fuel pump mounting bolts.

Ah, yeah that'd probably work. I grabbed an extra engine stand bolt.