Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Why not take 10 minutes to just measure your wheel wells once the poo poo is all done? Fitting wheels isn't a crazy science. Then you order wheels once (hopefully :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I know my updates aren't that exciting, but progress is progress I suppose.

More exciting that what's going on in my garage. :smith:

Keep it coming.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I know this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic,

I follow this one and love the updates, I just don't post much here. Keep truckin', good thread. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And now for an actual update with actual progress and actual pictures.

Make sure to bleed the power steering if it was low. Just start it up and turn the wheel back and forth with the cap off (maybe throw a rag over it so it doesn't throw fluid everywhere).

How much is left before driving it around the block? Sounds like you're so close now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

First thing was hogging out some holes in the rear shackles to try to bring the rear end up just a little bit. It's incredible what difference a drill with some balls makes. When I installed them the first time, 2 holes per shackle took way too drat long with the weak-rear end drill I was using. I got 4 holes made today with the M12 Fuel in no time.

This post finally motivated me to pull the trigger on some quality drill bits. I did some drilling yesterday and got pissed off at my lovely bits, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I was nervous about driving this thing after having taken it apart and putting it back together, but I'm feeling good now. Confident. Excited to drive it. I gotta make this happen.

:bisonyes:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'm lame so like a cast iron grey, probably.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Thanks dude. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I've done that much because it looks drat near the same as it did when I bought it and I've owned it for so drat long and the longest trip I've made in the car was when I drove it home from the dealership.

Something feels different now, though. With the new harness in and (mostly) working, I feel like this 'phase' of the project is kind of... done? Like now it's time to enjoy the car as it is while I gather parts for the ultimate goal of the drivetrain build and swap.

Not to get too e/n about things, but I've always had pretty low self esteem and that kind of poisoned my brain a bit regarding the car. Made me nervous that all the poo poo I've done to it isn't going to work and it won't be drivable, you know? Just getting it started and moved a little bit seemed to help that a bit. Brakes work, steering works, rear end has yet to grenade itself. I got a few things that I need to polish up a little bit but I'm pretty sure this car is drivable now. Like, right now.

I'm gonna fire it up again this weekend and see if I can get it running a little more strongly. Get rid of that dead spot. Unfortunately I'm not much of a carburetor wizard like some guys. I do have a digital copy of the manual for this Rochester though so maybe I can figure something out.

Anyway, sorry this got wordy and weird. Thanks for reading about my dumb sedan.

I've never thought that you weren't competent as I read the thread. I totally get the feeling though and have had it before myself. Sometimes you install stuff and it just works despite your thinking that something is surely still hosed up and broken, surely many of us have been there.

Keep plugging away, my dude. Enjoying the breakthrough progress. :hfive:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

From one dad to another, that's just plain irresponsible.

:rms:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Replace the whole line. They're under too much pressure that anything you try to do isn't going to help.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

gently caress working in heat and through pain. Go easy on yourself.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

How are you going to install it without a hoist? Just buy one now instead of later?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That'll just about empty my tub of parts, which is awesome.

:hellyeah:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looking good!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Lots done today, but not a lot of picture because I suck.

Obviously not, your getting poo poo done. Kudos

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Turbo Fondant posted:

Simple green too, but yeah I wouldn't scoff at its current state as a prospective buyer.

Simple green isn't safe for aluminum I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Do AutoZone and oreilley rent hoists for free? I've always used them for specialty tools I've been too lazy or cheap to buy. Through inertia I still don't own a pickle fork, spring compressor, or rear brake piston tools. :v: They're less than a mile away so it's not a big deal but I really should remedy that at some point.

Good progress, glad you're not rushing anything and doing it just how you like/the right way.