Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've been very interested in trying out one of the multitude of third party TBIs thats come out the last years.

Please do the needful so I can watch and learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like the post -77 blue, actually. But the orange is a close second.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Fuel pump swap isn't a big deal, just a bit of a pain in the rear end getting the pushrod in place. I'm sure you SBC guys know.

The top bolt hole on the front of the block, next to the fuel pump boss is drilled all the way into the pump rod cavity. Take the bolt out, screw a longer bolt in there and it'll pinch the pushrod in place. Remove after install of fuel pump, put in the shorter bolt again. I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know this. (Or you do know this and is talking about another pain in the rear end, which in case my bad.)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's the guy.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Tackled that seal today. Not too bad at all. Bit of a struggle getting the removal tool to bite into the old seal, but perseverance (and stronger hammer blows) was the strategy of the day.

Essentially, you thread the removal tool into the old seal and then a bolt threads into that to push against the selector shaft to then pull the tool and old seal out. Took me 5 or 6 tries of tightening the bolt until it finally bit hard enough to pull the seal, but it eventually came out without too much drama. Had a catch pan ready for potential fluid leakage but didn't have any.

Reminds me I have new seals (I bought like a 5 pack in case I gently caress it up) and the tool laying around here somewhere, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

crazy double-bent hard line section

That has to be there just for space concerns, right?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh, something I forgot to mention in the above post -

I don't recall who pointed it out, but that "replace this bolt with a longer one to hold the fuel pump pushrod on an SBC" trick totally works. I pulled the fuel pump off to get to the engine mount bolt and wanted to reinstall it after getting it on the stand. Thread is 3/8"-16 for anyone playing along at home.

It is so easy, yeah. Especially compared to other "tricks" I've seen on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can't imagine it has any other use than for ease of assembly. Also, you don't have to find a separate bolt to thread in there, I think I just used one of the fuel pump mounting bolts.