Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The blue one there goes all the way to the cooling jackets and those get a plug on one side and a temp sender on the other. That's what I'll do and use the sender to feed a temp gauge. Black ones are exhaust manifold bolt holes.The red ones are all M10x1.5 and about an inch deep. They just dead-end in the aluminum and don't connect to any chambers. One of them on the passenger side is used for the dipstick tube and I assume some of the front holes are used for accessory mounts in various factory configurations, but I'm not sure what the other red ones on the sides are for. Did some digging online and the general consensus that I found in the LS forums is "random stuff based on the vehicle they're in." I guess that sounds about right, but they had me pretty baffled for a while there. Anybody here got better answers?

For the red holes I'm pretty sure you're right, they're all just for various accessory configurations. The front ones are for PS/AC Compressor/Alternator/whatever brackets on the front accessory drive, an the ones on the side are for Plug wire holders or manifold heat shields, or whatever else.

I'd put some plugs in them (ie set screws with some liberal antisieze) just to keep the holes clear if you do need to use them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Simple green isn't safe for aluminum I thought.

I think you're correct but there are certain kinds of Simple Green made to be safe on aluminum.