Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Fill the diff with straight fluid and drive it around. If the LSD is too grabby around turns, add friction modifier 1 ounce at a time until it drives smoothly.
The modifier reduces the friction at the clutches. More modifier means more slip, and too much modifier means one wheel peels until you change the fluid again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
I've done an electric fan install before in the simplest way I could. All the connections are premade connectors and ring terminals. I used a temperature switch in the thermostat housing to drive the relay. Some Chevrolets have a threaded port that is plugged. I found that switch to be a cleaner install than coolant tees or playing with sensor settings on a fan controller.

I used a 12v ignition source for the relay. The problem with that is the fan will run with key on engine off when warm, which causes a slow cranking condition. Not a big deal to me. I didn't want to run a new accessory source to under the hood.

The relay grounds through the switch to the engine.

The relay switches power straight off the battery to the fan.

The fan is directly grounded to the battery. I did that in hopes that the battery acts as a suppression resistor. I didn't bother with a freewheeling diode.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
If you know of a couple places on the engine that people use for sensors, just use those instead of the coolant tee.
Here are a bunch of temp switches. Pick the temps and thread size you need. If you can't find one dual temp switch that you need, use two switches. Or run both fans off one switch.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Oven cleaner will eat aluminum.

Simple Green Extreme is for aircraft and is safe for aluminum. It's also expensive.

Personally I'd rather buy a used transmission that's a bit dirty than immaculate.