Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Anybody have any experience with this turd? http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-18-volt-cordless-impact-wrench-60380.html I just need 11 fasteners worth of give-a-poo poo from this thing.

I guess it depends on your budget, but I couldn't imagine spending that much on an HF cordless tool. Especially if this won't be your last trip to the junkyard. I went for a name brand based on that alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great success! I hope that builds momentum.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Edit: Here's a tip on making a 60° angle if you don't have any sort of angle gauges or finders: Cut a triangle out of whatever with 3", 4", and 5" (or factors thereof) sides. Boom, instant 30° and 60° angles.

That's not a tip that's middle school geometry!

I'm intrigued by your console building, are you following any kind of guide for that? It'd be nice to build a tiny one for my truck.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Can't it be both? :v: I'm just glad I remembered it.

As far as a guide goes, no. I've watched a couple videos on custom consoles and I have a reference picture of kind of an ultimate goal, but other than that I'm winging it. Kinda like the rest of this car. Once I start building this thing I'll try to take more pictures. Didn't take many today because it would have been half a dozen pictures of cut up cardboard.

So speaker box construction then, MDF with carpet all over? Some sheet metal tabs concealed underneath to hold it to the floor perhaps?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Where will you put your cups? That's literally 100% of why I want one

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You brought that wonderful smell into your home? Brave man.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

I also keep up with this thread, but don't want the thread to turn into *content post* "cool good job" *content post* "cool good job"

Anyway, looks like it's turning out nicely. For future reference, the ideal way to DIY form foam like that is using resistance wire. Next time you see a junk toaster, bust some out of it, or spend like $5-10 on Amazon for a spool of the stuff.

Yeah I love this thread as it's just a constant slog of progress. Makes me feel better about my own projects that don't go anywhere or I take accidental months off of. "Oh yeah that guy's still going strong, one piece at a time!"

Just realized you started in 2014... Maybe it's time for a recap or a snapshot in time of what's left and where you are?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just had a bench seat done in Denver and a quotes were 600-900, went with a good shop and got it for like 650 I think. Foam, pleated vinyl.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I’m about two months away from kicking off a similar project, a car that has been halfway complete on a resto that doesn’t run and no interior. I want to have it polished in a year, since the engine was rebuilt already and is in the mechanicals are going to take only a few months. Any suggestions on how I can be successful? Did you learn anything about order of operations or organization, Long lead items that threw you off, anything you would do different with what you know now?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I like it! This is going all original so I’m hoping that makes my life easier by not combining things. I also think I do need the car in my possession before I get too crazy. I don’t know what the brakes are like, although I do want to go to a modern two pot brake master with a vac booster. And I want an aux cord and hidden stereo.... poo poo.

I kind of want to give myself an allowance for parts and work on it that way, I’ve had a few busts on my truck where I buy a crazy amount of parts for a big job that could have spread out.

Maybe what I learned here is I should sequence out my work. I want to go smoothly in one direction, without popping parts on and off. I became an expert in dropping the fuel tank on my truck and I wish I had only ever done the job once.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
A 64 Galaxie ragtop, purchased by my dad in the early 90s, maybe late 80s, and hasn’t run since. We worked on it a lot when I was a kid but it stagnated since oh, 1998.

I just put an offer in on a house with a large enough garage to work on it and he’s as excited to clear it out of the shop as I am to have it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh baby, that'll be sweet once you get rolling. There's a ton of aftermarket support with power brake kits and suspension and whatnot. Can't wait to see it.

Good to know! I’ll be making a thread when I get started, I may have spent part of a commute working on titles...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Holy poo poo, can't wait for the thread. Please don't let it die tho like slung blade did with his Coronet.

All right let's keep the expectations low - it won't be a hot rod or anything... get ready for a guy trying to shim panel gaps, find clips for a mountain of loose trim and find a 4th hub cap. If I am remembering right my dad has 6 hub caps, three of each pattern.

edit: and a lot of sentimental memories!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh I thought you were gonna do a full restoration or something, that would be cool.

No pressure tho ;)

Fine I’ll just go back into time and pull the body off the frame and have the engine rebuilt and disassemble everything and sandblast the body and and and

I close in 30 days so expect a thread after that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If I didn’t just find out my mufflers are an 8 week lead time I might have challenged you to a race on drivability.

Good luck sir!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Great googly moogly what kind of muffler takes 2 months? Is this for that Fairlane or Galaxie that you have?

The right kind.

Galaxie. Just moved it into the garage, gonna start a thread!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Great job! Gotta be a huge relief to have it back under its own power.

Wiring seems like a good winter project to me. A lot can be done at the kitchen table, then placed on the car and terminated.

But first maybe another video with a mic near the exhaust...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well you can always remove it and hook it up on your bench to figure it out right? I'd figure it's a simple plunger and low fluid grounds the connection turning on a light. And it would normally be a one wire connection but instead uses a known good ground as a two wire.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I really should copy the storage over the door idea. I could probably clear a whole rack of camping gear up there and actually get some clearance on the side of the garage.

I also loathe seeing my project with stuff stacked on it or in front of it, right now there's a big box of recycling that can't fit in the bin. Sure I'm not moving the car anytime soon but it's a quiet reminder I'm not working on it.

Congrats on the move though, I'm jealous of the three car garage. Even though I know it would just mean two project cars and a wife space.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey man, everything all right?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well I hope the spark comes back for you and you continue on soon. Sometimes buying a little part and putting it on can help.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hell yeah to taking a week off of work and getting stated.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Those look great, I would like to get a set for both of my sealed beam cars. Always hard to justify when I don't drive either at night. I don't drive them at all, but when I did, daytime mostly. Looks much better than any halo or LED lights which don't even work for me on serious hot rods SEMA type builds.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I really like that loom stuff too, looks very clean and easy to put on, plus I don't anticipate it falling apart like thr parts store plastic garbage.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm partial to orange so yeah.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Really more of a warehouse for fancy tools then.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah Jesus christ. The International just required me to unscrew the bezel and reach underneath and grab it. To be fair I'm lucky it has a key at all being a fancy farm tool.

The Galaxie required a straightened paperclip and I'm surprised I could do it at all considering I didn't have a key.

How would you rate that steering wheel puller? I think that job is in my very near future.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Perfectly adequate is about the best possible rating for a Harbor Freight tool. I believe the levels range from "it killed me" to "never worked" "worked once" and "adequate but sloppy".

It's for the Galaxie which I don't know if it has a lock and also just went on only a few steps ago in 1994. I still remember steering it with the vice grips. Should come off easily.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's a pretty simple tool all things considered. Just screws and leverage. If you think you might need one more than once, go buy it. Don't forget your coupon and your mask :). And hey, maybe you'll be able to bail somebody out by loaning it to them. Always nice to be able to help out.

In what must be a new personal record I now own one. Having the HF on my commute is bad news. Or an amazing convenience. And now that you mention loaning I realize my neighbor mechanic almost certainly has one I could have borrowed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Neutral safety switch?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Can I get one cleaned car pic from the back and one from the side? And also three pics of the car from any direction? Also just a normal pic of the grill and hood and one where the hood is open? Can I get a pic of it driving?

Seriously though I'm glad to see it going and hope the momentum continues.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The thing you're doing with baby steps I call the trust ladder. I climb up it with various tests and short trips until I finally drive farther than I can ride back. I'm on one of the lowest rungs right now, and I always feel better when I can just drive and listen to the radio instead of rattles and knocks.

I appreciate your post. Keep it up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yeah that looks good. Nice wheel choice.

I challenge you to take it to the nearest drive in burger stand and take a golden hour glamour shot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
RWL?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Agreed. Just the brand is enough. It's striking.

Edit:maybe.
Edit 2:no. Good as is. Black space is important.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The lettering and the yellow stripe look great together. Fantastic choices all around.

And yep you certainly cursed yourself. A thing made before 2000 (and also I worked myself up two decades between conceptualizing this sentence and typing it) has a 50 - 50 - 50 chance of being in stock, two weeks out, or only available from a hoarders stach.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

also i kinda disagree with the above, since it's an AFX (in this case X) there should be parts out the rear end pretty much everywhere. it's the default "modified car" anyone has, and gm used the same parts everywhere, mostly

you lose points in epeen contests online, but sometimes it does pay to have a popular/common platform

Well you were clearly right. I assume nothing I need will ever be available locally as both a reaction to my reality and a protection mechanism.

And on the last part, that is basically my advice to anyone looking to start a project. Weird stuff is cool but there's no shame picking something common to make your life easier. Problems with well documented answers still require you to work on them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
We're on to you, you're just picking colors based on the cars contemporary appliances. Avocado green, orange, I bet you'll line the trunk in harvest gold.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol I could feel it right from the jump you were out of gas. Strong foreshadowing, and far too many times that I've been there somehow. Last time I drove the Binder I went directly to the gas station and easily put 8 gallons in a tank that's notoriously hard to fill due to the geometry, so I bet it only has 10 gallons in it now and the two gallons it had was bunched up in the front of the tank. (sloped driveway, hotdog shaped tank).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Omg good for you. I about fell out of my chair at that percent increase, fingers crossed!