Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

(allen key drain plug? Wtf Mazda?)

Not on the engine, but GM does this on the gearbox drain for anything with the Getrag manual gearbox. On my car the drain plug is about 2 inches from the subframe, so it's impossible to ever drain the gearbox unless you cut down an allen key.

... which I've been saying I would do for over a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I've got the driver side installed with the spring on the bucket itself, but it doesn't feel right. Spring's all out of whack, too. I'm thinking it may actually go on the trim ring around the lamp. I'll have to go gently caress around with it.

It's been a long time since I hosed with sealed beam lights (and they were all squares anyway), but I want to say the springs go on the mounting ring that holds the headlamp in the bucket, not on the bucket itself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It was still early and I was feeling sassy, so I figured I'd tackle the subframe connectors next. Now for anyone not in the know, Novas (along with F-bodies and Mustangs and lots of other poo poo) are unibody cars. The rear frame rails are integrated into the body shell and the front suspension is all connected to a subframe. The only thing between the front suspension and the rear suspension is the floor pan and body of the car. Add in some hard drag launches or road course abuse and things tend to get a bit pretzel-y. Enter subframe connectors.

Friend of mine learned this the hard way on his 73 Nova. Went from a 6 cylinder grandma car to a V8 that ran mid 12s.

Doors didn't line up anymore after a year or so, and that was with only occasionally stomping it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah but that's just GM door hinge pins :v:

I didn't think hinge pins would make one door move up to the point that you had to push down on it to close it :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Polk makes a shallow mount version of the 6.5s, if it's mounting depth you're concerned with.

I have the regular (non shallow) 6.5 coaxials, and they just baaaaarely fit in my doors. The tweeters stick far enough out that my door panels barely clear them as well, so you're kinda stuck with the grills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

100% this. For some reason, I always read this thread and think of how I can add an encouraging reply other than "holy poo poo this tread is awesome and yo're doing amazing work", but I never manage to come up with anything and I would just end up with me posting a load of low-content posts all over your thread.

Thread is great. Car is great. Post more great.

Trying not to emptyquote. My best friend growing up had a 73 Nova coupe that wound up being a fun car, another friend had a 73 or 74 hatch. :swoon: