Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

viral spiral posted:

Are you pretending Portrait of an American Family is a good album? If so :lol:

While Portrait's sound hasn't aged as well as other albums in the MM catalog I still think it's one of the better alt-metal records of its time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vince MechMahon posted:

gently caress off, rape apologist.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

See, only literal human garbage dislikes Portrait!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

viral spiral posted:

Are you pretending Portrait of an American Family is a good album? If so :lol:

I'm not sure how I feel about the Twiggy situation here. Does Jessicka have any evidence behind her claims?
Yes, I do think it's a good album. I got into to Marilyn Manson during that era. I don't really know why you think that is so strange. I like tons of the Spooky Kids stuff too.

Also, pretty weird to assume Jessicka is making something like that up.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 24, 2017

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

Yes, I do think it's a good album. I got into to Marilyn Manson during that era. I don't really know why you think that is so strange. I like tons of the Spooky Kids stuff too.

Also, pretty weird to assume Jessicka is making something like that up.

Literally what would she have to gain 20 years later? Is it the thing that's really going to get the attention on Scarling she's been waiting for, or some poo poo?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Does Scarling even still make music?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Does Scarling even still make music?

My fuckin' point exactly. She's doing art stuff and doing just fine at it. But yeah, she's decided now is the time to spin this yarn, and have tons of assholes like that jerk off up there call her a liar and accuse her of trying to ruin an innocent man's life, for nebulous reasons. Makes perfect sense.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 27, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Unfortunately, goth/industrial bands are almost as bad as 80s metal bands as far as sexual harassment poo poo goes. See also: Impotent Sea Snakes.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

precision posted:

Unfortunately, goth/industrial bands are almost as bad as 80s metal bands as far as sexual harassment poo poo goes. See also: Impotent Sea Snakes.

Ehhhh I saw them open for WASP in like 99. No idea who they were at the time but their show was all sorts of hosed up. IIRC the entire set they had girls on leashes and naked except gstrings and electrical tape, feeding them dog biscuits, bondage midgets, other torture stuff. You want to believe that as messed up as the show is, that it's just the show, but you don't really know

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Ehhhh I saw them open for WASP in like 99. No idea who they were at the time but their show was all sorts of hosed up. IIRC the entire set they had girls on leashes and naked except gstrings and electrical tape, feeding them dog biscuits, bondage midgets, other torture stuff. You want to believe that as messed up as the show is, that it's just the show, but you don't really know

that's just theatrical bondage type stuff which is pretty different from sexually harassing someone don't you think

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I never realized Scott had a big hand in Man That You Fear. That’s probably close to my favourite MM song. So sad that he passed as he seemed like an incredibly good person.

That Manson text to Pogo is like extremely cordial for something coming from him. Pretty much sounds like he’d at least like to try mending things at some point.

Also Twiggy better be fuckin gone by the time the tour restarts. gently caress that poo poo.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

that's just theatrical bondage type stuff which is pretty different from sexually harassing someone don't you think

Yes, it is different. Members of the band, many years ago, did sexually harass two friends of mine. Allegedly. In a way that was pretty inexcusable and bad.

precision fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 25, 2017

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Also Twiggy better be fuckin gone by the time the tour restarts. gently caress that poo poo.

Manson just kicked him out of the band.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Yep. https://twitter.com/marilynmanson/status/922993764121026560

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
What a loving world where marilyn manson is more professional and cordial in his public persona than the president of the united states.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

precision posted:

Yes, it is different. Members of the band, many years ago, did sexually harass two friends of mine. Allegedly. In a way that was pretty inexcusable and bad.

I don't think that has much to do with their using bondage stuff as stage visuals though.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Marilyn did the right thing. Kind of a bummer for him since Twiggy has been his main right hand guy for ages.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

M1TCH3LL posted:

He was in Jack Off Jill until Manson and Jessicka rekindled their friendship. Not much of great note other than that, but I don't think that should diminish any influence he had on the early Manson sound. He probably had more influence on the sound than John 5 did, and John 5 was an infinitely better guitarist who had success before and has had much success since.

Whether Scott was "that good" or not, he was a big part of the early Manson days. Meg White wasn't a very good drummer, but the White Stripes wouldn't have been the same without her.

I don't diminish his effect on the early MM sound and I like Portrait, although imo it is hardly one of MMs best albums.
I argue against the idea that he was such a great member of MM, when he is not a part of 2.5 of MMs best records as well as not having much career on his own.
Jack Off Jill is not a band I heard off and looking at Wikipedia, not surprising either.
From Long hard road, it is obvious he was a great side kick to MM in the early days. It is described there by MM that he felt he and DB saw different futures for the band and that was why DB was kicked out.
Given their respective careers, it is hard to say it was a bad decision by MM.

As for Twiggy, MM only kicked him out after it became public. I have a hard time seeing he has not known about it the whole time.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Cardiac posted:

As for Twiggy, MM only kicked him out after it became public. I have a hard time seeing he has not known about it the whole time.

"I knew Jessicka and Jeordie had a romantic relationship many years ago and I considered and still consider Jessicka to be a friend," he shares in a statement. "I knew nothing about these allegations until very recently and am saddened by Jessicka's obvious distress."

It rather sounds like he did it for Jessicka who is his friend. She even thanked MM today:

https://www.twitter.com/Jessicka/status/922997458136834048

Badchay fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 25, 2017

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 27, 2018

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

M1TCH3LL posted:

I've seen so many people who still think he's Bowling For Columbine Manson, saying "of course Manson is at the forefront of this movement, he's always been a free-thinking intelligent individual."
He was on the WTF podcast recently and I got excited hoping that old, erudite, well-spoken Manson of the past might show up.

He was literally drunk through the whole interview.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 27, 2018

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
On the subject of Manson, rape and the current climate; I have been somewhat surprised and relieved that Rose Mcgowan has not mentioned him to the best of my knowledge. I get the impression she wouldn't hesitate if there were any unsavory business, so her omission of anything involving him seems like unspoken support that there wasn't any kind of sexual abuse by him. Hopefully that's the case anyway.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's always seemed like a hedonistic weirdo, but never like a full on abusive rapist. But I think that might depend on where you draw the line on what is and isn't abuse when it comes to groupies, cause holy poo poo some of the stuff in his book definitely blurred that line at the very least.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Any word on who might have been willed the copyright on the Spooky Kids songs by Scott? Always kind of seemed like he didn't have much family left.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

graynull posted:

On the subject of Manson, rape and the current climate; I have been somewhat surprised and relieved that Rose Mcgowan has not mentioned him to the best of my knowledge. I get the impression she wouldn't hesitate if there were any unsavory business, so her omission of anything involving him seems like unspoken support that there wasn't any kind of sexual abuse by him. Hopefully that's the case anyway.

Manson's a freak but as far as I know he's way into consent. That said, a lot of the people that have given him consent were drunk or high at the time, so...

But I mean, that's rock and roll in general. I was drunk when Cat Power hit on me, but I've never said and never would say she sexually abused me. I wasn't that drunk.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

It seems the worst any of his exes have said about him is he womanizes and that seems to be what breaks up the relationships almost everytime. That mixed with his penchant for drug abuse.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Twiggy offered a non-statement about the situation:

https://www.avclub.com/ex-marilyn-manson-bassist-twiggy-ramirez-offers-weak-st-1819888318

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:jerkbag: I like how he sneaks "please feel sorry for me I've been sober a whole couple years" in there. Class act.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
delete

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh drat, every year the local indie rock venue does a show where musicians form "cover bands" for a night, it's usually a highlight of the year because of how talented everyone is and how much work they put into it. One of the best I can recall was actually Huey Lewis and the News. Anyway, apparently this year one of the bands is Marilyn Manson (this was decided, but not announced, months ago). Now I can only imagine what they'll do, probably smear the guy playing Twiggy with literal poo poo.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Hah, I actually saw Huey Lewis and the News this summer at my city’s annual festival, and they put on a hell of a show. They usually only do corporate stuff these days, so for them to show up at a small eastern TN town to play a show was pretty incredible.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/marilyn-manson-recruits-former-the-mars-volta-bassist-juan-alderete/

New bassist: Juan Alderete

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

How do you look that badass in a wheelchair?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInTJXLYrqw

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Badchay posted:

How do you look that badass in a wheelchair?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInTJXLYrqw
His singing is hilariously bad. He sounds like a drunk guy half assing karaoke.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

He never had a particularly good voice and now he is old and has done a shitton of drugs. But that loving popemobile wheelchair! :laffo:

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Touring with a shattered foot is pretty boss.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

He started the Europe part of tour today. I was there. It was a decent performance. And yes, his ankle is still busted.

Setlist (someone already put it on a fan wiki site):
code:
"Revelation #12"
"This Is the New poo poo"
"Disposable Teens"
"mOBSCENE"
"KILL4ME"
"Deep Six"
"The Dope Show"
"1°"
"Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)"
"Tourniquet"
"WE KNOW WHERE YOU loving LIVE"
"SAY10"
"The Beautiful People" (feat. Alice Glass)
"Coma White"
"Lunchbox" / "Killing Strangers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

KILL4ME music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3sEKLlFLzI

Yes, it has Johnny Depp and boobies, again.

• Locked thread