Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Angular Landbury posted:

Yeah, the main dude from Orgy put together a new band and called it Orgy. They're dubstep now because everything has to be dubstep now.

I just saw them like last year and there was no dubstep. The setlist was like 80% Candyass, 18% Vapor Transmission, and 2%PSP and a new song.

The Disclaimer on this is that they were my favorite band growing up and I hung out and did shots with them so I'm biased as all gently caress.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

13Pandora13 posted:

I just saw them like last year and there was no dubstep. The setlist was like 80% Candyass, 18% Vapor Transmission, and 2%PSP and a new song.

The Disclaimer on this is that they were my favorite band growing up and I hung out and did shots with them so I'm biased as all gently caress.

Glad they jumped off that train, then because some of the samples they started putting online when Jay restarted the project were wubby as gently caress.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I wonder how things would have gone if he'd re-invented his image and sound again after Mechanical Animals, instead of reverting back to the Antichrist Superstar.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

I had a chance to buy a large 'subway' size version of this and stupidly didn't. Since we are celebrating portrait material, my favorite (and decent quality) track from the spooky kid days that doesn't sound like it was recorded through an answering machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alNKq0hWi0Q

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

skycake posted:

I had a chance to buy a large 'subway' size version of this and stupidly didn't. Since we are celebrating portrait material, my favorite (and decent quality) track from the spooky kid days that doesn't sound like it was recorded through an answering machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alNKq0hWi0Q

Negative 3 is so good.

There are some genuinely awesome songs from back then - Suicide Snowman, Choklit Factory, Thrift, Filth - but Negative 3 is just on another level. I actually don't know if he ever sang that well since :P

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

13Pandora13 posted:

How do you feel about Julien-K?

As for Manson, the only album I can still listen to these days is Mechanical Animals, which I've always felt was heads and shoulders above everything else he did (ACSS and Holy Wood have their moments, but goddamn are they crammed with filler), and even then I have to block out the lyrics. Still, it's a hell of an album outside of that.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

sethsez posted:

How do you feel about Julien-K?

Not really a fan. I mostly listen to Aggrotech and indistrial. There's a few outliers (like Marilyn Manson), I just couldn't get in to Julien-K.

I recognize that my taste in music is mostly pretty bad. Oh well.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Organs posted:

Manson and Reznor both lost it when the 90s ended. It's best if you pretend that Manson died after the last tour on Earth and that Trent disappeared after The Fragile never to be seen again, because their musical output since then has been embarrassing to say the least.

Reznor actually did lose it during the late 90s and early 2000s and managed to get his poo poo together, go the gym and become a healthy person. His stuff post-Fragile is still good in my opinion and his latest album Hesitation Marks is up there with The Fragile and The Downward Spiral. Its pretty ignorant to call NIN's output since the fragile embarrassing (minus a few songs here and there).

Also he won a goddamn Oscar for The Social Network's soundtrack, which I recommend because its really loving good.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Reznor actually did lose it during the late 90s and early 2000s and managed to get his poo poo together, go the gym and become a healthy person. His stuff post-Fragile is still good in my opinion and his latest album Hesitation Marks is up there with The Fragile and The Downward Spiral. Its pretty ignorant to call NIN's output since the fragile embarrassing (minus a few songs here and there).

Also he won a goddamn Oscar for The Social Network's soundtrack, which I recommend because its really loving good.

I'll echo that the period between Fragile and starting HTDA, which revitalized him creatively, the only good albums he put out were Ghosts and the remix of Year Zero. Hawitha Teetha and The Slip both only had an LP worth of decent stuff on them and Year Zero was just "gently caress Republicans" the concept album (not to be confused with "gently caress Republicans" the musical by Green Day). Most of that probably has to do with getting clean and sober which seems to put any artist/group through at least a decade of mediocrity (if not make them mediocre permanently like the Stones) so I can kind of forgive him for that.

Also, HTDA is fantastic stuff as long as you don't think it should be NIN lite like APC was with Tool since it's much more experimental... so like Pucifer if you want a better comparison.

Anyway, MA is not only the most accessible album MM has put out, it's also the best album, and the only one (besides Smells like Children) that's actually stood the test of time. GAOG tries to be ACSS but is to polished, and if you go back and listen to ACSS it has not aged well at all.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

...if you go back and listen to ACSS it has not aged well at all.

:stare:

In some ways maybe, but the sound is still is very original, and (for me anyway) nostalgic. It doesn't seem like anyone tried to rip it off effectively even though it was pretty successful so the style remains specific to one of the best collaborations in music.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Manson's fat and makes bad music now but POAAF will always hold a special place in my heart. I'm just glad I got to see them live a bunch of times during their prime.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

skycake posted:

:stare:

In some ways maybe, but the sound is still is very original, and (for me anyway) nostalgic. It doesn't seem like anyone tried to rip it off effectively even though it was pretty successful so the style remains specific to one of the best collaborations in music.

ACS has this really awesome, dirty, grimy, gritty sound that I can't describe any other way than that. The intro to tourniquet is flawless.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The lyrics are pretty funny now though, like when you really consider how shocking he was considered to be and then half of them are just about sticking your middle fingers up

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Bown posted:

The lyrics are pretty funny now though, like when you really consider how shocking he was considered to be and then half of them are just about sticking your middle fingers up

I guess, but I don't really pay much attention to lyrics for the most part. They're just part of the sound for me with most bands.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

A Winner is Jew posted:

the only one (besides Smells like Children) that's actually stood the test of time.
SLC is terrible if you ask me. I hate the remixes, and I hate the production. Easily his worst release of the 90s in my opinion. Tons of stupid filler too.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

SLC is terrible if you ask me. I hate the remixes, and I hate the production. Easily his worst release of the 90s in my opinion. Tons of stupid filler too.

That weird country cover of cake and sodomy is pretty wonderful, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Smells Like Children is basically a delivery vehicle for the I Put A Spell On You and Sweet Dreams covers, which were on the radio a lot. The rest of it is just remixes and weird little free form word jazz odysseys, some of which are great, but it's not really a good, solid album like Mechanical Animals or Antichrist Superstar.

Holywood has it's moments, but it's not a full album of great songs like Antichrist Superstar or Mechanical Animals. Consistent tone throughout though.

The Rock And Roll friend of the family cover on Smells Like Children was excellent, but good luck ever getting that on the radio. Words are an important part of music. And I'm not sure how it can be just another sound to people listening, especially considering some of the stuff that gets played these days.

Antichrist Superstar sounds harsh, but I think that's the whole point.

I went back wan listened to Portrait Of An American Family because of this thread. Thanks! It's better than I remember.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Smells Like Children is basically a delivery vehicle for the I Put A Spell On You and Sweet Dreams covers, which were on the radio a lot. The rest of it is just remixes and weird little free form word jazz odysseys, some of which are great, but it's not really a good, solid album like Mechanical Animals or Antichrist Superstar.

Holywood has it's moments, but it's not a full album of great songs like Antichrist Superstar or Mechanical Animals. Consistent tone throughout though.

The Rock And Roll friend of the family cover on Smells Like Children was excellent, but good luck ever getting that on the radio. Words are an important part of music. And I'm not sure how it can be just another sound to people listening, especially considering some of the stuff that gets played these days.

Antichrist Superstar sounds harsh, but I think that's the whole point.

I went back wan listened to Portrait Of An American Family because of this thread. Thanks! It's better than I remember.

I dunno, but NIN is pretty much the poster child for "sounds awesome, silly lyrics." I just don't pay attention to lyrics that are kinda dumb or silly or dated.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 27, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Despite the terrible title, I quite enjoy "Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag" from GAOG. Also the title track and (s)AINT.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

M1TCH3LL posted:

So with all of this being said, do we have anywhere near a consensus on any decent material post-Holywood?

Spade, GAOG, The Bright Young Young Things and Slutgarden are worth mentioning in addition to what has already been said from Golden Age. I don't think Eat Me, Drink Me is all that bad and I happen to like, They Say That Hell's Not Hot, quite a bit. Running to the Edge of the World is the only track from High End of Low that caught my ear. Same with No Reflection from Born Villain.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

I dunno, but NIN is pretty much the poster child for "sounds awesome, silly lyrics." I just don't pay attention to lyrics that are kinda dumb or silly or dated.

I'm not a huge NIN fan, though? :shobon: maybe I should investigate them more.

ACS really creeped me out/morbidly attracted me as a kid. Words have meanings. Songs have a message they are trying to convey to you. I identified with ACS at the time, being an angry lad. I can't not pay attention to lyrics.

I thought that GOAG was great. Just full-on embracing how manufactured everything is these days and not giving a poo poo anymore.

\/\/\/ I do own The Downward Spiral. It didn't get me onboard with NIN the same way that ACS got me on board with Manson. Probably because the Downward Spiral is (from what I remember) about drugs and hedonism and I was more concerned with going to hell as a lad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 8, 2014

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Platypus Farm posted:

For some reason I usually find Trent's lyrics a lot easier to ignore than Manson's. It's probably a combination of the content and the actual sound. Trent's lyrics are stupid in a pretty standard way, while Manson is the absolute king of terrible strained metaphors, and they just never stop coming. Manson's voice also tends to be mixed much louder than Trent's, so I find it harder to just hear as another instrument.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard, I actually find it hard to picture someone who's into Manson but doesn't at the very least have The Downward Spiral memorized. If Manson still scratches an itch for you, definitely investigate NIN more. Broken, Downward Spiral and The Fragile are all pretty consistently amazing.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

sethsez posted:

For some reason I usually find Trent's lyrics a lot easier to ignore than Manson's. It's probably a combination of the content and the actual sound. Trent's lyrics are stupid in a pretty standard way, while Manson is the absolute king of terrible strained metaphors, and they just never stop coming. Manson's voice also tends to be mixed much louder than Trent's, so I find it harder to just hear as another instrument.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard, I actually find it hard to picture someone who's into Manson but doesn't at the very least have The Downward Spiral memorized. If Manson still scratches an itch for you, definitely investigate NIN more. Broken, Downward Spiral and The Fragile are all pretty consistently amazing.

Yeah, that's true. TR's lyrics are more standard pop silliness while manson's are constantly, thrillingly, bad. Actually after Rainbowbeard's post, I read through the lyrics to a few ACS songs, and yeah I agree that they're pretty hilarious. POAAF lyrics though don't seem -that- horrible, comparatively. I guess I'm just really forgiving of lyrics that are pretty obviously just part of an era's zeitgeist, which ACS very much is for me.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

M1TCH3LL posted:

The early stuff is easy enough: Cyclops, Rock 'n Roll friend of the family, DUT&DTTW, Coma White (Manson was so underrated for his slower songs), Long Hard Road, Fight Song and even that Astonishing Panorama song all go down as my early favourites. Tainted Love was pretty good, though Personal Jesus was weak as hell. But then it all becomes real sketchy.

Wow, yeah... I don't think even the early stuff is easy as you may think.

Most of those don't even really rate as far as what I'd call my favorite early Manson songs except Rock 'n Roll friend of the family and Coma White.

Cake & Sodomy, Misery Machine, The Reflecting God, Mechanical Animals, Love Song, and Valentine's Day all come in higher than those and that's just what I'm thinking of right this second.

sethsez posted:

See, that poo poo never bothered me. I've seen moments of brilliance in Manson's lyrics but otherwise they're just loving silly and I've never taken them seriously. Maybe it's because I first started listening to them when Portrait was the only album. It set the whole tone of the band for me. I mean, that album has a child's voice singing "BIG DICKS! BIG DICKS! BIG DICKS! BIG DICKS!"

I just sort of accept (and expect, really) the silly and ridiculous.

Might be why I'm disappointed that I couldn't find much to like about Golden Age, since it went back to sillyzone in a headfirst dive from the overly serious tone of Holy Wood. I'm still trying to convince myself I want to somehow like that album but the music changed a lot and in many not-good ways.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 8, 2014

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Last Tour on Earth is so awesome.

Just wanted to put it out there.

edit: ^^^ haha yeah ffffuck frankie. Say it. Say gently caress frankie. gently caress... gently caress frankie

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Platypus Farm posted:

Just wanted to put it out there.

edit: ^^^ haha yeah ffffuck frankie. Say it. Say gently caress frankie. gently caress... gently caress frankie

Nah, I was talking about My Monkey, from Portrait.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Odd that MM was paired with Hole for that tour before it all went shithouse.

Did anyone read the book he put out? Contains great stories of NIN loving with MM constantly during the '94 Self Destruct Tour.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

It's also rumored the Jack Off Jill song Author Unknown is about how full of poo poo the entire book is.

It takes significant liberties at times. For one thing it tries to make it look like Manson never liked Daisy which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case. As far as I can tell they had some kind of falling out around the time Smells Like Children was released.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I have a somewhat dimmer view of Manson than the rest of you. I was pretty much done with him by the time mechanical animals came out. There were some interesting sounding songs on there but that was mostly due to talented people around him. As for Manson himself the only thoughts he seemed to have in his head were a fondness for drugs and "Hai guys isn't celebrity weird?" And that last one is probably one of the most boring things in the world to create art about.

And it's sad because as people have said, PAF was an actual incentive record. Sadly a song like "Get your Gunn" is still just as relevant. But instead he got obsessed with celebrity and like everyone else when that left him he got depressed and fat. I think it was the guitarist for poison that said one of the saddest things about Hollywood is that it's more socially acceptable to be an addict than to be fat.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Skeesix posted:

I have a somewhat dimmer view of Manson than the rest of you. I was pretty much done with him by the time mechanical animals came out. There were some interesting sounding songs on there but that was mostly due to talented people around him. As for Manson himself the only thoughts he seemed to have in his head were a fondness for drugs and "Hai guys isn't celebrity weird?" And that last one is probably one of the most boring things in the world to create art about.

And it's sad because as people have said, PAF was an actual incentive record. Sadly a song like "Get your Gunn" is still just as relevant. But instead he got obsessed with celebrity and like everyone else when that left him he got depressed and fat. I think it was the guitarist for poison that said one of the saddest things about Hollywood is that it's more socially acceptable to be an addict than to be fat.

I pretty much agree with you, his lyrics were garbage by the time Mechanical Animals rolled around and I'd argue that "sporadically interesting" was the best they ever got. I mostly just love MA because it's clearly his big love letter to Scary Monsters and, as you said, he surrounded himself with people who could pull that off. For me it was the blatant attempt to re-capture ACS with Holywood that turned me off forever, but I'll always stick up for the music of MA.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

It takes significant liberties at times. For one thing it tries to make it look like Manson never liked Daisy which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case. As far as I can tell they had some kind of falling out around the time Smells Like Children was released.

Apparently, the two of them touring together is what finally killed that relationship.

quote:

SPIN: What was the source of Daisy and Manson's falling out?

TR: Things had deteriorated on tour. Brian didn't respect him, he didn't respect Brian. It got into that kind of vibe. If you put a bunch of guys together in a tin can and send them down the road for two years, these weird character distortions take place.

The tensions started before though, during the recording of Portrait when Daisy was really proud of their product before sending it to Reznor. Reznor thought it needed more and the Manson/Reznor team started mixing and changing things that Daisy wrote in collaboration with Manson at the beginning. I mean it makes sense considering the control freak nature of Reznor and Manson which then led to their own little story. Personally, I really like Portrait a lot and any changes Reznor made were probably for the better.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

skycake posted:

The tensions started before though, during the recording of Portrait when Daisy was really proud of their product before sending it to Reznor. Reznor thought it needed more and the Manson/Reznor team started mixing and changing things that Daisy wrote in collaboration with Manson at the beginning. I mean it makes sense considering the control freak nature of Reznor and Manson which then led to their own little story. Personally, I really like Portrait a lot and any changes Reznor made were probably for the better.
I don't want to get all :filez: but Daisy released a tape which is widely bootlegged online of what the album sounded like before Reznor mixed it (complete with an unreleased track, "Filth", in place of "Wrapped in Plastic", and an alternative version of "Snake Eyes and Sissies" with an extra verse). You can most likely find it on Youtube, probably under some kind of name like "Portrait Pre-Reznor Mix".

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Daisy Berkowitz plays guitar on this new track by Justin Symbol, "Control":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJaRly4SDo

Video is :nws: :nws: :nws:

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Listening to those Premix's is further proof that Reznor was the best thing to happen to Manson.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I actually just finally got around to listening to those pre-Reznor mixes because of this thread yesterday, and yeah... While you can definitely hear the album Portrait would become in there it's not it yet. The entire thing is potential for something really good but it's not quite there yet.

I also listened to a bunch of the early demos for ACS and it's another case of the same thing. Things like turning two kind of middling songs (D is for Dirty and P is for Porno) into one pretty good song (Deformography) really helped to tighten that album up, for instance. And leaving horrible crap like Piss In The Wound on the cutting room floor was what needed to be done, too.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I always thought Fractured Fairytaleshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJSf67WEGv4 had a Manson-esque vibe to them.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The drop in quality between GAoTG and EMDM is astounding. We had a listening party for it after it came out and within 30 minutes some other album was on. I couldn't name a single track off it, just garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I agree with you there. I think GOAG's schtick was heavily produced music (see: Ka-Boom Ka-Boom and This Is The New poo poo, and, well, most of the album) so even the songs that flat out told you Manson wasn't even trying at this point sounded pretty good.

Platypus Farm posted:

Yeah, that's true. TR's lyrics are more standard pop silliness while manson's are constantly, thrillingly, bad. Actually after Rainbowbeard's post, I read through the lyrics to a few ACS songs, and yeah I agree that they're pretty hilarious. POAAF lyrics though don't seem -that- horrible, comparatively. I guess I'm just really forgiving of lyrics that are pretty obviously just part of an era's zeitgeist, which ACS very much is for me.

I'm not a huge fan of pop music, while I enjoy the surreal/nonsensical lyrics of bands like GWAR. Make of this what you will.

• Locked thread