Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

S.T.C.A. posted:

Thinking about it, I have a dude whose base showed up like 2-3 HQ levels ago (for me); at this point, I still won't attack for a while because his saved resource amount is huge, and I won't Find New until I explode him for loots. I'm 70 vp above him, and I'll probably be about a hundred past him by the time I can crack his base. That's indeed a strange matchmaking system that rewards dumping resources as quick as you can.

Pretty sure that the system is based mostly or solely on VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nosre posted:

I'm 99% sure I read advice on SA to never attack the little NPC bases, cause doing so raises your Victory Points and matches you up with tougher opponents. Maybe it was in the CoC thread before this split off?

Matchmaking is done purely off VPs so that is a potential downside.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

My center is leveling up to 8 as I write this. Do I just warrior rush until I get tanks?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

Warrior Rush works well at 8 but won't last you up until tanks against any competently built base, if they have a glaring weak side to their defense then by all means send in the hammers, but against a well built base Heavies/Zookas will go a lot further.

What is a good ratio of heavies to zookas?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So before you guys went to tanks all the time were you mixing up your armies based on what you saw in a base you wanted to attack or did you always have your boats loaded?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

gromdul posted:

I built my first masterpiece statue. Green with +23% resource bonus for all resources. I scrapped my +8% gunboat energy statue for it.

Still having fun with 68 riflemen. They're great for almost everything. I suffer d-day like losses when attacking player bases, about 50% casualties. But even then it's only 12k and 6 minutes to refill my landing craft. There are a few bases where I'd prefer tanks or warriors. I just lost a resource base that has 3 flamers and 3 machine guns, which would be doable with tanks easily, and warriors with shock bombs. I might try it with riflemen because for the lulz and the cost of failure is low.

I've really taken to riflemen tanking for zooka (I'm HQ8 right now). As you said, the best part is being able to quickly and cheaply replace them. I'm building my 5th boat right now and once I do a few upgrades I might try mass riflemen.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

For some reason playing STar Wars: Commander gave me the itch to open up Boom Beach. Waiting for player level 18 so I can hit my next HQ upgrade. Hope you keep going with the big writeups S.T.C.A., I do enjoy reading them.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So this base just showed up for me and it's the best one I've found yet. What's my gameplan for taking it down? I'm HQ10, haven't upgraded warriors yet at all.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Ephphatha posted:

Absolutely none of their defenses cover the back of their HQ. Deploy all your troops on the far left side of the beach then walk them around behind the HQ by flaring the top corner of the jungle, then the middle right.

Right which is why I was wondering if warriors were the best choice.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I need to start learning about statues. I have two green ones up but I know those arent very good. And thanks for all the words S.T.C.A.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Is there any reason to hold off on taking down the lvl 20 Hammerman base? I'm pretty sure I won't have too much trouble doing so.

Also, I had a rather funny thing happen. Successfully defended against an attack where the guy tried going up the left side of my base. He didn't succeed and lost all his troops. About 20 hours he tried it again but tested the right side of the base. Its even funnier because my base defenses are complete crap and pretty much thrown down willy nilly.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

About halfway through player level 19 and successful attacks are mounting on my base. This is hella annoying when trying to save enough stone for the HQ10 upgrade. I'll read back in the thread about base stuff but please chime in with any good advice you may have and not the "make the base you don't want to face" face advice because I'm dumb and will throw 5 boats of dudes at anything once :D

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Be nice as I've made no real attempt to to place the defenses intelligently. :). The only thing I don't have built for defense is a flamethrower.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

THanks for all the advice on base building and your point is well taken on concentrating on offensive upgrades. I'm mostly looking to deter people from even wanting to attack because the frequency of attacks is slowly going up. My tablet was on the fritz and I finally got around to repairing it yesterday so I'm finally putting this all into action. Much appreciated!!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I have to say that seeing people with that sort of placement generally deters me. Being able to maneuver around makes attacking so much better.

I have 3 unbuilt buildings right now: submarine, flamer, and iron storage. Which one should I prioritize?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Co-op play is coming my boys:

http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/424461-Sneak-Peeks!!!?p=3049437&viewfull=1#post3049437

Now we can boom sperg together!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I nominate STCA for commander of 1st Goon Task Force (Poopborne).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

WerrWaaa posted:

What's your attack strat with Rifles? I get torn apart when I try to swarm them.

Splash defenses are the biggest issue with riflemen. Its a fair amount of DPS when you have a bunch but they can't just faceroll through a base. With all riflemen I look for places to flare them to where I can build extra gunboat energy with little risk. If I can use arty (I dont have barrage yet) to take out some splash damage I will, otherwise I just try to shock bomb and then kill what I just shock bombed. It really though depends a lot on how their base is set up.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Now I'm am HQ10 and have barrage, I was wondering if you guys find yourself using it a lot more than the arty shell?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Sent request as SA Slim

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Can you combine fragments into larger pieces? I thought there was a way to but I haven't found anything. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything on that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks to this goonfleet nonsense I've completely cleared my map of NPC bases. Time to upgrade the radar.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Am I ever gonna be able to build more than one building at once? Jesus.

Nope. I complained about it at first but you get used to it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

That's a good post Zila. I'd only add don't underestimate the power of mass riflemen. The best part about them is that they are cheap and fast to replace and with good flare usage you can take stuff down pretty fast. For normal map clearing that is my most used troop comp. They tank for zookas surprisingly well also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Just started playing again. Currently HQ10. What's the best troop mix at this level? Also I've noticed that supper compact bases seem to be a thing now. How do effectively attack those?

• Locked thread