Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
M-pars are simpler twin spokes and they're 18s.

Which is weird because those look like m5 wheels which I thought were 18s as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Dammit, this just bumped up fixing my high obc on the long list of things to do.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I'm having the same issue right now...
ECS sells all four e60 hubs for $360 (I'm sure you can find them somewhere else cheaper). There are also 13mm hub bore conversion spacers but they run like >$200. For that price I would just do the hubs unless you're going for a hellaflush look.

Finding people to machine the wheels might be tricky as a lot of shops don't want the responsibility.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

There is a local selling 17" AC schnitzer 5 stars for 600 bucks locally. Considering a lowball offer to see if he bites.

E: poo poo, and a set of chromed m-pars for 725. Those are 18". Id pay 6 bills for those, assuming they are clean.

What tires do you get for 18s? I tried looking and nothing in the stock width (235s) seemed to have enough load rating on them.

So for that my vote is the ACs.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

If you get a tire with too small a load rating, the car can (not necessarily will) feel a little squishier. You'll have to air up the tires higher than on the door jamb, and you'll risk bubbling a tire or bending a wheel if you hit something (more so than with the appropriate rating).

Get something with too much of a load rating and you'll feel every bump.

My brake light shut off after I replaced the vacuum line to the brake master. DSC and ABS are still on though, haven't done any more troubleshooting.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Like stated, have them rebuilt!
I would check with industrial hydraulic hose places as well as automotive ones.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Sometimes the XL aren't even enough!

I think stock the 16s are a 95 load rating, and the 17s a 94. I can't find anything about 18s since only the M5 came with them and they were significantly wider.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

If you're keeping them, remove the centers and have the lips repolished!

One of my favorite wheels... I can't find anything local for my beater5!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Motor mounts were cake. Wobble extensions and it's easy peasy.

What shape are your vacuum lines in? I cracked the big booster line when doing mine because you have to jack up the engine to clear the new mounts.

If I can stop my car from eating regulators, I'd be doing the 545i shifter, shifter bushings, and new trans mounts as well.

E: buy the motor mount o-rings. If you're lucky, yours haven't failed. If you're unlucky, at least the motor mount is already off, and then all you have to do is remove the alternator.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Seems like the era of the beater 5s is drawing to a close.

:banjo:

• Locked thread