Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Powershift posted:

any cluster you find is either going to have bad pixels, or is about to. If you really care about it, there is a ribbon cable fix that involves dissasembling a cluster never designed to be dissasembled. I can read my whole mileage, and most of my trip, but the trip shows up in the radio computer thing anyways, and where i keep my wheel i can't see the message center anyways, so idgaf.

I had the same problem with the OBC in my car, which is also notorious for dropping pixels. It was replaced by the previous owner for this issue (brand new from BMW) during his brief ownership, and looked perfect when I got the car in 2006. By 2008 it looked like poo poo. I ended up sending it to a guy in Germany who waved a magic wand over it and sent it back. I was about $220 all in (including shipping) and it still looks brand new, 6 years later. So there is a way to permanently fix these, assuming the later cars suffer from the same lovely ribbon cables the earlier ones did.

I don't know if he's still doing them, but there's a guy on ebay (or was, at least) that specialized in fixing BMW's lovely implementation of LCD displays. German Audio Tech, or some variant of that, who seemed to get good reviews although I've never used them myself. No idea if he's still active on there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread