Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010
This is Cake Boss's challenge, all the way. I'll be surprised if she doesn't sweep this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Is George's model the awesome one? Cause she saved his rear end.

Did cakeboss use actual chocolate gelatin or did she just use a brown that was called chocolate in the gelatin?

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 15, 2014

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010

Bored posted:

Did cakeboss use actual chocolate gelatin or did she just use a brown that was called chocolate in the gelatin?

I think it's real chocolate -- they've had that sitting around the lab in the past for making fake blood.

Consider me shocked that George isn't on the bottom. I like him, but I'm not seeing what the judges are seeing in his makeup.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Finally! Glob drat, man.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I thought Dina's was best (except for the Tammy Faye Bakker eyelashes), but I figured Cig would win (and great, he's got another stupid hat). I didn't really get George's; that glowing green thing in the shoulder was really distracting. Drew really whiffed his concept; the first thing I thought of when I saw the oil spill thing was the colorful sheen that oil has. It didn't come through at all. Stella's was way worse, though.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I had time today, so I caught up on all the episodes that I've missed this season. That Fantasy High School one would have been super fun to do. I would have LOVED to draw/design for that one.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Gods. Though, Cake-Bosses was pretty damned amazing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've been waiting for the kaiju challenge all season and I just had a peek at next episode's topic and they're doing faeries so it looks like the kaiju challenge will be in the next-to-last episode and we'll only get 4 kaiju creatures.

drat. This is disappointing.

I was hoping the Kaiju would be the final challenge, and maybe they'd get more time. Each person getting a team, doing two or three Kaiju, and having a choreography to go with it. I want more Kaiju!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
George has really been struggling these last few episodes but I'm glad he'll be around for next week's challenge, it should be right up his alley.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was nice seeing Cig finally get a win, after being on the top so many times.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Man Cake Boss was a little miffed she didn't get the win, especially after making such a hard concept like "flood debris" look beautiful.

Poor Stella though. She had a rough concept and rough execution. George may have done a weird job, but at least he delivered on the "fairy" portion of the challenge.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Dina did a great face makeup, but some of the other colors were not so good, and i am surprised the judges didn't mention it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Oasx posted:

Dina did a great face makeup, but some of the other colors were not so good, and i am surprised the judges didn't mention it.

I wonder if they have "real" judging that they don't air where they can actually say what needs to be said instead of the weird stilting nonsense that pours out of Glen's mouth and the need to praise two and castigate two.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ariza posted:

I wonder if they have "real" judging that they don't air where they can actually say what needs to be said instead of the weird stilting nonsense that pours out of Glen's mouth and the need to praise two and castigate two.

Given that the contestants often seem really confused about what's expected of them (I recall some "Sitting around the house chatting about last episode's results" scenes in previous seasons where they seemed totally flummoxed by the judging results) I'd say not.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I liked that once again they showed George coming up with a cool technique to do something. This time it was squeezing foam tubes to make branches. Neat.

So Anthony is Cake Boss' mentor? Of course, now it all makes sense. She's a ringer.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
I'm definitely getting a Rashaad vibe from Cig: Either safe or top looks, no win till late in the game. If he wins I think I'll be disappointed. Not that I don't like his work, cuz he's made some fantastic stuff, but I don't want this show to have a 'formula.'

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
Cig did win the second week (the gangster challenge that he did with George).

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Ariza posted:

From the Reddit AMA they said that the judging portion lasted a really long time compared to how its portrayed on the show.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Let me just say "Yeti crab" is the best kaiju premise ever

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DarklyDreaming posted:

Let me just say "Yeti crab" is the best kaiju premise ever

Missed the first airing, but this gives me high hopes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be either Cig or Dina. It's cool that Drew won the fan vote and he's doing good work, but- well, it's basically those two's show now.

The Yeti Crab did have a lot of personality, but I also appreciated just how ridiculously complex that mantis thing is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Daaaaaamn. George just couldn't bring it. :(
I really liked his concept but it was clearly a 2 or 3 person makeup rather than something one guy could pull off successfully.

Still, I get a feeling that he'll be on Cig's team next week.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
George's make up was the only one that really made me think "kaiju!" It was a little ropey but it certainly had the feel of 70's kaiju movies....

I thought Drew's looked more like a Goomba from Super Mario

ColorblindDesigner
Feb 18, 2011
I liked George's squid a lot better than that cop out of a naked Mole Rat that Drew tried to pass off as a sloth. They were both horrible for final 4 work though. Hope the finale is a lot better.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'm suprised Drew won the fan favorite vote because he was such a non factor in this season to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I knew George was going home based on average performance throughout the season (way too many bottom looks for George) but for a minute there I seriously thought Drew had tanked his Sloth so badly they'd have to throw him out. Weirdly enough they were all very kind this week.

Dina is such a ringer. Her insincerity at saying "I didn't think I'd make it this far I didn't think I measured up" was palpable. I like her well enough but yeah she's really smelling like a plant given her attitude and judge favoritism (and I think someone in this thread mentioned she had prior Face Off training working with Anthony). It was especially apparent this week when they chose her well-executed but very run-of-the-mill mantis versus Cig who actually managed to pull-off the ludicrous concept of a YETI-CRAB. Like seriously if there was ever a week where I felt like someone got robbed this week was it. I'm Team Cig for the finale all the way-- dude has pulled off some ridiculously hard concepts and deserves the win.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
Super disappointed by the creatures this week, for something they hinted at being a challenge for so long, let alone the penultimate one.

The contestants all forgot what kaiju monsters are and how they are shot visually. I don't think I have ever seen a monster walk around upright and straight legged. Ultraman and giant robots sure, but monsters no. They paid no attention at all to the feet, which are generally oversized to accommodate the stature of the monster and for stomping. I think Cig even left his model barefoot? It really felt like the only person who tried to give a sense of size was Cig but it was overly weighted on the upper body.

The director of the episode should go study up on the genre, why did they do the standard reveal shot straight on? Where are the low angle shots with under lighting? Why didn't the models get to actually wreck something? Really feels like neither party was really concerned with making them look big.

Next week some guys from medieval times/the SCEA are going to do a swordfight in minimal makeup, and one is going to be a zombie or something and the other is not in a bid to convince the audience that they hadn't forgotten that they said there was a theme this season. At least it isn't another lovely dance off.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Cig and George were the only ones really going for giant monster, and not just monster. Dina did some great work, but it feels like she often plays it safe, and doesn't take the risks that someone like Cig does. The contest would have worked better if they had had an extra day, but hopefully that will happen in the finals then.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I'm okay with Drew making it into the finale, I guess. The third person seems just like a formality this season when Cig and Dina are so far above everyone else. Plus that clip of George saying he hopes that someone screwed up more than he did was used in, like, every other episode.

It seems like in previous seasons they had a couple of challenges where everyone just had to create a makeup according to a general theme and let their imaginations run wild, whereas this season in every challenge each contestant chose or was assigned a specific creature. I'd like a return to more broad challenge dictations like 'make a Star Wars character' or 'make a funny makeup' and less 'you make specifically a nerd minotaur'

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The second they revealed the choices for the challenge this week, I yelled at the TV "don't pick the sloth!" I'm amazed Drew survived picking it. His barbecued sloth was bad, but I thought George's squid thing was super super rough. It looked great from the neck up, but below the neck it looked like a Doctor Who monster (as Lois said, except I don't mean it in a charming retro way).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Owl posted:

The contestants all forgot what kaiju monsters are and how they are shot visually. I don't think I have ever seen a monster walk around upright and straight legged. Ultraman and giant robots sure, but monsters no.

They were rarer but there were a bunch of classic kaiju with skinny-ish straight legs like Jamira, the various Alien Baltans, the Gargantuas, Alien Bado, Gandar, etc. as well as about half of the Super Sentai/Power Rangers monsters. I remember one particular kaiju who was a blobby cloud shape with incredibly thin ribbed legs but I'm damned if I can recall its name or which series it came from.

And some kaiju had really scrawny chicken legs. :classiclol:

Mr. Owl posted:

The director of the episode should go study up on the genre, why did they do the standard reveal shot straight on? Where are the low angle shots with under lighting?

Yeah that would have helped sell them a lot better.

Oh and just in case anyone really enjoys seeing badly made kaiju costume I can heartily recommend the G-Fest costume parade videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQ4ii2nFUg
:feelsgood:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Anthony Kosar announced on his Facebook today that for the next season he and Laura Tyler and Rayce Bird are acting as mentors to the new constestants. Should be interesting. :)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

hollylolly posted:

Anthony Kosar announced on his Facebook today that for the next season he and Laura Tyler and Rayce Bird are acting as mentors to the new constestants. Should be interesting. :)

A Face Off team vs team vs team deal where members of a persons team gets eliminated one by one would be pretty cool.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sweet. Laura is my hero.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh, I thought this was the last season for some reason.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shut your filthy mouth and never ever suggest such an idea. I'm going to be showing new seasons of this show to my grandchildren.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is legit my favorite reality show now and of all the creative competition ones it has the best judging/editing of said judging. I never have any "wait, THAT wins?" Moments like on PR.

Obelix
May 8, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I knew George was going home based on average performance throughout the season (way too many bottom looks for George) but for a minute there I seriously thought Drew had tanked his Sloth so badly they'd have to throw him out. Weirdly enough they were all very kind this week.

Dina is such a ringer. Her insincerity at saying "I didn't think I'd make it this far I didn't think I measured up" was palpable. I like her well enough but yeah she's really smelling like a plant given her attitude and judge favoritism (and I think someone in this thread mentioned she had prior Face Off training working with Anthony). It was especially apparent this week when they chose her well-executed but very run-of-the-mill mantis versus Cig who actually managed to pull-off the ludicrous concept of a YETI-CRAB. Like seriously if there was ever a week where I felt like someone got robbed this week was it. I'm Team Cig for the finale all the way-- dude has pulled off some ridiculously hard concepts and deserves the win.

Na, they just said she took classes at his school. That isn't anything special, Drew used to teach at such a school. She is an award winning cake designer so she has her colors down, probably had to take classes to learn about making prosthetics and you can see she shys away from much fabricating.

Also, a yeti crab isn't ludicrous it is a real creature which Cig chose (justifiably so I think) to ignore and mash up yeti and crab and yea I liked his more as well, but Dina did have a gorgeous Mantis head.

Obelix fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 26, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah, ok. My mistake then. Either way Dina has started to irritate me. Cig may have stupid hats but he has a lot of heart dammit.

Obelix
May 8, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Ah, ok. My mistake then. Either way Dina has started to irritate me. Cig may have stupid hats but he has a lot of heart dammit.

Cig's hats are awesome. Honestly, I don't really care who wins and I like that about this show, there is no real attempt to create favorites or teams. I just love watching the creation parts of the show, and seeing the final product of everyone. No idea how they bring them together sometimes to look so good because often it just seems like a mess when they head off for the final last looks hour.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Obelix posted:

Also, a yeti crab isn't ludicrous it is a real creature which Cig chose (justifiably so I think) to ignore

There were a few shots in the show where he was looking at a photo of a yeti crab for inspiration for his monster. :ssh:

If you put the two side by side you can see all the similarities:

Exact same colouring, same fuzzy arms ending in little white claws with yellow knobbly bits, same feelers, same shell pattern on the head as on the real creature, etc..

If anything I think he stuck to the actual creature a little too closely and should have given his monster giant gently caress-off kaiju claws and massive plated/horned shoulder pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
My favorite thing about Cig's yeti crab is that he DIDN'T do a large shell for the back. Not only would it have looked like a ninja turtle, it'd have been lazy. His layered approach looked so sweet.

mind the walrus posted:

Either way Dina has started to irritate me.dammit.

Booooooo! Boo! Boo this man.

• Locked thread