Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Cakeboss really owned that challenge, but she did get a bit lucky, too. interesting that they raked the two losers for not adapting their concepts to their pieces, but weren't nearly so hard ofn the chick that did the raven thing for putting a face piece on her models hand. I guess it comes down to execution,which I am totally ok with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I partly get the feeling the judges saw the portfolio of the two they kicked after casting and were like "gently caress THAT, we gotta get them out of here on day 1." They didn't even wait for the Goddamn ending to boot that one guy.

I half wonder if he was being a dick off-camera and they just cut it.

I think he's the only contestant whose portfolio pieces had a watermark. I have no clue if that makes him a douche, but I thought they sent actual physical portfolios instead of online portfolios for the show. It would be kind of douchy to have watermarks on pictures that aren't online.

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/photos/face_off_s07_e0701_past_work?id=37

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Blazing Ownager posted:

I partly get the feeling the judges saw the portfolio of the two they kicked after casting and were like "gently caress THAT, we gotta get them out of here on day 1." They didn't even wait for the Goddamn ending to boot that one guy.

I half wonder if he was being a dick off-camera and they just cut it.

That's what I thought too. Like they saw an opportunity to show the real contestants how rough this would be.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Happy the shows back but I can't believe they made a rookie error and showed the Nightmare on elm street REMAKE poster when introducing Robert Englund.

Forshame Face Off.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
Poor Scott. It's like they got Gil from the Simpsons to compete.

I was definitely right on the obnoxiousness of Cig Neutron.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Johnny Longtorso posted:

Poor Scott. It's like they got Gil from the Simpsons to compete.

I was definitely right on the obnoxiousness of Cig Neutron.

Yeah. I was willing to give Cig a chance in spite of name and facial hair. I was even willing to give his stupid hat a pass if he could pull off amazing poo poo. But then when he introduced himself to the model and used a 'funny voice' to say "I'm Ciiiiig Neuutron!" -- no. We're done here. Just dye your hair red and get out. Unfortunately I think he has the chops to stick around to the finale.

Pulling for a cakeboss sweep otherwise, though I was surprised at how much I liked Keaghlan's baroque hindi makeup. It was simple, but done well. Nobody else really interested me much beyond possibly Barry.

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 25, 2014

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I just realized Scott's entire portfolio was Nosferatu, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Wolf Man... so he doesn't really design things, he's probably working off of kits or an instructor's direction.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm putting money on the guy that worked with Weismore back on Deep Space 9 as having the chops to last the majority of the season too. He seems like he has it together, and is one of those people who was working in the industry but left for several years for whatever reason.

Could even overtake "Cake Boss" if the challenge involves massive fabrication, I bet.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Happy the shows back but I can't believe they made a rookie error and showed the Nightmare on elm street REMAKE poster when introducing Robert Englund.

Forshame Face Off.

Am I the only one that still laughs when they are introducing a guest and reference their absolute shittiest movies on their portfolio, just because they're recent?

It's always kind of sad when they are introducing someone and pull a "Responsible for this great movie, this great movie, and this great movie and most recently this huge steaming pile of poo poo."

That said at least they didn't introduce Englund as "From titles like Zombie Strippers!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're taking the show in a bold new direction. :colbert:

That might be the most obnoxious thing they've started doing in the last few seasons, doubly so when it's followed with absolutely nothing different ultimately.

I still want them to do an episode where the models are MMA fighters or something, to both try to make something that can hold up to abuse and for the amusement of watching some theme characters kick the crap out of each other for a minute. At least it would in fact be kind of extreme. Or at least stop thinking making them dance to Dubstep = a good finale.

Also, it's too bad that set design show didn't go so well. There was major room for crossovers there; I'd like to see some of these makeups put into a short film if they had some sets to do it in.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 25, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

I still want them to do an episode where the models are MMA fighters or something, to both try to make something that can hold up to abuse and for the amusement of watching some theme characters kick the crap out of each other for a minute. At least it would in fact be kind of extreme. Or at least stop thinking making them dance to Dubstep = a good finale.

God yes. Although they did do swan lake a few seasons ago. Pretty much, it would be nice if they just stopped doing the dancing poo poo. I like watching dancers, but there's a reason dancers don't wear elaborate prosthetics for performances, beyond not being especially visible to the audience (stage lights, distance). Dancers are kind of limited in movement with super thick cowls on n' stuff.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's always kind of sad when they are introducing someone and pull a "Responsible for this great movie, this great movie, and this great movie and most recently this huge steaming pile of poo poo."

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blazing Ownager posted:

McKenzie's introduction for Lois Burwell mentioned that she'd worked on The Fifth Element, War of the Worlds and Lincoln. I'll pay Fifth Element but I would have listed the other two way behind some of her other productions like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart or The Princess Bride. She got an Oscar for Braveheart and was nominated for Saving Private Ryan.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Yeah. I was willing to give Cig a chance in spite of name and facial hair. I was even willing to give his stupid hat a pass if he could pull off amazing poo poo. But then when he introduced himself to the model and used a 'funny voice' to say "I'm Ciiiiig Neuutron!" -- no. We're done here. Just dye your hair red and get out. Unfortunately I think he has the chops to stick around to the finale.

Pulling for a cakeboss sweep otherwise, though I was surprised at how much I liked Keaghlan's baroque hindi makeup. It was simple, but done well. Nobody else really interested me much beyond possibly Barry.

please tell he says it like that horrible jimmy neutron cartoon

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
Cig Neutron did a pretty fantastic Wario makeup/costume at ComicCon this weekend. He may be a little annoying personality-wise, but he seems very talented.

https://www.facebook.com/ConCentricPage/photos/a.1439859562947772.1073741828.1434493216817740/1446784298921965/?type=1

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Stabitha posted:

Cig Neutron did a pretty fantastic Wario makeup/costume at ComicCon this weekend. He may be a little annoying personality-wise, but he seems very talented.

https://www.facebook.com/ConCentricPage/photos/a.1439859562947772.1073741828.1434493216817740/1446784298921965/?type=1

That is pretty loving awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was a 4 hour challenge with limited materials and no sculpting as well as a surprise twist halfway through so it was pretty inevitable that the results would mostly suck. It was actually a really good first challenge from the competitor's point of view since it really rammed home that they need to work super fast, to adapt to problems on the fly and manage the three priorities of A) concept, B) overall look/initial impression and C) fine details and paintwork, and that if you gently caress up any of those elements you'll be sent home. For the viewers, unfortunately, it was a pretty low key first episode since it was pretty much just a foundation challenge and not the full three day contest we're used to.

I thought they mostly did okay for the conditions they were working under. I feel sorry for the two people who got eliminated because they were probably thinking "Okay, it's day one, we'll get a taste of what's to come and someone will win immunity or something" but nope, they got put through the wringer and kicked out without even seeing the dorm house.

This is pretty much the episode in a nutshell. Great opening challenge for the contestants, but kind-of disappointing if you only tune in to see awesome finished make-ups.

Factor Mystic posted:

Cakeboss really owned that challenge, but she did get a bit lucky, too. interesting that they raked the two losers for not adapting their concepts to their pieces, but weren't nearly so hard ofn the chick that did the raven thing for putting a face piece on her models hand. I guess it comes down to execution,which I am totally ok with.

I think it also had to do with the fact that she decided really early on to ditch the face piece and thus had time to blend it really well on the hand.

Cakeboss and Blue Hair both got super lucky too. Not that they didn't showcase some serious chops, of course, but they had models and pieces that fit really well with both the Life concept and their natural talents.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I hate that dude's 5 inch pointy hair.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I love the Tuna mobster.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One or two of these are passable I guess but most of them are pretty poo poo.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

foxatee posted:

I love the Tuna mobster.

The cigar in the gill slit turns it from passable fishman costume to something beautiful

EDIT: Burwell called it "The catch of the day :haw:" and everyone went :ughh:

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 30, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
She may never use the word "bitchin'" but Lois Burwell is fine by me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

One or two of these are passable I guess but most of them are pretty poo poo.

Yeah, the concepts on a lot of those were terrible and they would have needed AMAZING work to salvage them so they were pretty much screwed from the start.

Edit: the contestants are probably going to be confused as hell after the judging this episode.
"We gave you peanuts and you made a half human/half peanut character? That's way too literal, you suck!"
"We gave you a tuna and you made a half human/half tuna character? That's brilliant, we love you!"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 30, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I think Cig is going to be this season's Rashaad or Fox; a person I hate because they look dumb, but they're always so happy and do interesting stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah, the concepts on a lot of those were terrible and they would have needed AMAZING work to salvage them so they were pretty much screwed from the start.

Edit: the contestants are probably going to be confused as hell after the judging this episode.
"We gave you peanuts and you made a half human/half peanut character? That's way too literal, you suck!"
"We gave you a tuna and you made a half human/half tuna character? That's brilliant, we love you!"

I think the problem with peanut guy was more that he was just a dude with a peanut hat on his head. He did not look like a half human/half peanut.

But yea the contestants were clearly somewhat confused about what exactly was expected of them in this challenge. There was one team that didn't even try to include the nickname that was given to them until Westmore pointed it out, and then there were others who were taking the challenge way to literally.

Just because the nickname is "mack truck" doesn't mean the character has to literally be a human/truck hybrid. Its that kind of thinking that makes me doubt whether these people even like movies or have the creative minds necessary to do real effects work. I mean Dick Tracy was specifically named in the intro of the challenge because that's what they wanted: over-the-top gangster characters that reflect how they got their nicknames. Not a creature out of a sci-fi movie. I can understand why Glen didn't like the idea of the porcupine guy; Its just not creative. There are so many ways you can make a cool looking gangster character that looks like a "Needles" without literally putting needles in his hair.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looks like some of the contestants became good friends over the course of this season. Cig Neutron's cosplay buddy Rannie tweeted this photo of their Face Off viewing party with Keaghlan, George, Rachael and Sasha in attendance. I think that might be Barry next to Sasha as well.

https://twitter.com/supervillain1/status/494531923276873728/photo/1

Also they're all Twitter buddies with cute blonde model Megan who always acts her heart out on the judging stage and she's exactly as nice and bubbly as you'd expect. :buddy:
https://twitter.com/meggiejean13

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

To be fair, the fish man just looked like a fish. It was all jowls and rippling fat that gave him "gills" and a fishy face, and he had a creative reason for why he's called the Big Tuna. Also, everyone involved seemed really into the character. I'd say Cig's delivery really helped sell it.

Meanwhile, the peanut was either a literal peanut growing out of someone's face or a weird peanut hat. And it wasn't really explained well either, so much as "oh this guy has a peanut for a head." Like, there's so many directions you can go with that idea: tiny, angry short guy. Leaves peanuts in place of coins as his calling card. Such a smooth talker you'd swear he's like peanut butter.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, the Dick Tracy example really was key for this, and maybe not emphasized enough for the contestants. Big Tuna was really, really exaggerated, to sell the point 'this guy looks a lot like a fish', but it never crossed into straight-up inhumanity. Typewriter was up there as well because they were the other team that really got what they were supposed to be aiming for--they ended up a bit Batman villain, but were still headed in the right direction. Every other team pretty much went straight to monster makeup, and once you do that you're pretty much just hoping you have better execution than the other teams, because you sure aren't going to sell the concept to the judges. It's kind of like if you immediately jumped to steampunk on something--it's going to look like you didn't really try to be creative.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also you just had to look at the tuna guy and you immediately had an idea of what his speech patterns would be like, what kind of business he'd be in, how he'd treat his henchmen, how he'd talk to the protagonist, etc etc.. He was just oozing personality.

The peanut guy's face actually had a lot of character but the overall effect was hampered by so many dumb design decisions.

The rat guy was a terrible character. He had a generic rat/bunny face which didn't show any characterization in any particular direction. They could have made him look sneaky or cowardly or untrustworthy but they didn't have the chops to pull it off. Props to Sasha for trying to incorporate the 'tick tock' aspect but WTF kind of character is a rat bomber?

The rest felt like gimmick background characters rather than a big bad mob character.

Here's SyFy's gallery for the episode.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 31, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

Typewriter was up there as well because they were the other team that really got what they were supposed to be aiming for--they ended up a bit Batman villain, but were still headed in the right direction.

Not just a little bit, their creation was Zsasz with words in place of tally marks. He was still a better concept and execution than anyone other than Big Tuna though.

The rat guy was a terrible character. He had a generic rat/bunny face which didn't show any characterization in any particular direction. They could have made him look sneaky or cowardly or untrustworthy but they didn't have the chops to pull it off. Props to Sasha for trying to incorporate the 'tick tock' aspect but WTF kind of character is a rat bomber?

Seriously. I was so very glad to see Barry get booted. After 6 previous seasons you would think he'd have seen the show at some point and realized that when the judges give you a requirement you build around that loving requirement. He's not the worst artist the show has ever seen but his instincts are way too immature for the show.

I don't think Sasha's going to make it through the show but I am glad to see that the judges recognized that the costume really wasn't her fault. She was clearly struggling under Barry's direction and while it was a little dirty she had the absolute right instincts to sit back, put lipstick on their pig, and let Barry be the one to pay the price.

On unrelated notes I actually liked the idea of putting jewels into the peanut guy's head :downs:. Yeah it was a weak and terrible concept but I still liked it. Glenn's comment about the Mack Truck costume being Boardwark Empire meets The Wiz was probably the best joke I've seen on the show that wasn't built by a contestant.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 31, 2014

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Ariza posted:

I think Cig is going to be this season's Rashaad or Fox; a person I hate because they look dumb, but they're always so happy and do interesting stuff.

Honestly, Cig's level of "hey look at how creative/quirky I am!"-ness makes Rashaad look like a bank president in comparison.

The tuna guy was the best of the lot, but I didn't think much of any of the others except for the typewriter dude (which wasn't as well put together but I thought captured the spirit of the challenge the best). Most of them were just literal interpretations of the nickname.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I didn't like typewriter dude at all. The concept isn't terrible, but the execution was poor and I thought the names in the sculpt were basically unreadable.

trem
Sep 17, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

I didn't like typewriter dude at all. The concept isn't terrible, but the execution was poor and I thought the names in the sculpt were basically unreadable.

Yeah, I think they needed more time painting the names to make them look like anything more than impressions in play-doh.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

trem posted:

Yeah, I think they needed more time painting the names to make them look like anything more than impressions in play-doh.

Whose idea was it to put 38 names on the head? That seems like such a waste of time. They could've done 4-5 and actually spent time making them look better. Glad the rat guy got booted. What a lazy, terrible concept. Also very glad to see they haven't embraced the drama like every other reality competition.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Theme for tonight is apparently the first individual contest with aliens based off the Wonders of the World???

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes... showcase how foreign and other-worldly these creatures are by modelling them after very real terrestrial formations/creations.

It's not quite "Werewolves from Mars" in terms of sheer tonal whiplash, but I think the central conceit is even dumber.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm more worried that they won't learn their lesson from the last challenge and we'll see a dude with a pyramid head. Don't go literal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I would pay cash money for someone to do Pyramid Head from Silent Hill while Tatapoulos is in the judge's chair again, since he was actually one of the guys who did the above excellent creature effects for the first horrible Silent Hill movie.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Yes we got a Pyramid Head!

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
This challenge looks cool. It's conceptually interesting and not complex.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I literally dont remember this Drew dude from the first two episodes.

Easter Island is probably the easiest one to build an alien off of imo.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Oh my god this girl doesn't even know how to do molds and she is on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most of the ideas seem pretty cool so far. Much better than last week that's for sure.

• Locked thread