Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

We've had a couple house rules proposed and I wanted to bounce these off some other folks. I'm not really opposed but want to know that I'm not overlooking something. These are all combat rules.

1) Undamaged Dreadnaughts get two shots.
The player that proposed this wanted to balance out the usefulness of Dreads, especially against cruisers with mines. Another player suggested that this was too much of a boost, especially to races that already get bonuses to dreads, but thought that it would be alright after a player has War Suns. I'm inclined to approve this one as is, I don't like the extra bookkeeping of the second option.

2) Shock Troops don't "level down."
Proposed as to simplify bookkeeping and make shock troops a little more special. Mostly I'm just concerned that I'm missing some potential wild cheat this would enable, the shock troop rules always struck me as having that as a weird caveat.

3) Mercenaries don't turn planets neutral.
As much as I like the idea that a mercenary army just up and starts pillaging your planet the rule that a mercenary left alone on a planet strips it back to neutralaity just rubs me the wrong way.

1.) Sounds like a real bad idea to me. I don't think you should be trying to make dreadnaughts good, especially in a world with Duranium Armor.

2.) You probably shouldn't be playing with shock troops if you're also playing with mech inf, which I like to do, so IDK. I assume you're talking about how you can't have a shock troop somewhere without also having a regular guy so that the shock troop has an actual plastic flag man on it? I guess you could always put a control marker on your shock troops if they don't have a plastic flag on them. I don't think that would cause any problems.

3.) Personally I like the rule that mercenaries can steal your planets. Seems thematic; hardly ever impacts a game (apart from restricting where you place the mercenary when you first get it); when it does impact a game, it makes mercenaries a little less powerful which is probably a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I personally think Dreads are fine as is, you just need to understand they have a more niche role to play, and that a larger fleet of smaller, faster ships is more powerful overall. They are a noob trap though, for sure.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

2-shot dreads will make the L1Z1X and Letnev more OP than the Yssaril.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the big problem with dreads is that you need too much tech to make them good; if you get all the upgrades, they've got 2 movement, fire a shot before combat, are immune to action cards, can bombard through PDS shields, and probably one or two other things I'm forgetting. The problem is that Type 4 Drive is way up there and instead of getting it you could just get War Suns.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Type IV drive isn't something you get to give dreads 2 movement. You get it to give cruisers 3. Dreads are defensive ships you use to give your fleet more up, or for when you all out invade a neighbour.

War Suns are of course a lot better, even with all the dread upgrades. But you can only have 2 and depending on the territory you have they cost way too much.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
My buddies and I had our TI game over the weekend and it was a rousing success! We even finished in a reasonable (eight hour) session. Seriously good game. I took the peer review and used things as written (or as close to it as we could manage.) I've got both expansion, and we incorporated pretty much everything. The players seem on board with spinning off the game into an rpg campaign, so I'm looking forward to building that.

We had five players. Before the game we split the race sheets into five packets of three, each player got a random packet and could pick one race from the three. The galactic players ended up being: The Embers of Muatt, The Brotherhood of Yin, The Mentak Coalition, The Clan of Saar, and myself playing The Emirates of Hacan.

My first turn resulted in my meeting hostile locals on the valuable world of Sem-Lore. They killed the armies I had sent and captured my Scientist leader. The Embers, apparently having risen up to dominate their Hylar Univserty one-time-rulers, started on their game-long tech fetish, upgrading their War Sun and shiny new lasers. The Brotherhood encountered difficulties spreading the good word on an irradiated death world, sending a million missionaries to their slow, wasting death. A supernova seperated the Mentak from Mecatol, though this would not be their immediate goal. As their influence spread, so did their piracy, snatching a small fortune of trade good from distant suns. My distant cousins, the (assuredly self-imposed) exiled Clan of Saar has come across very rich space and snatched up five world without difficulty.

As the game developed, I found myself with a Khajit mercenary company in my employ, who recruited more soldiery for me on each new conquest. I also took Hope's end, training ground of elite Shock Troops. The Embers developed technology to the disregard of everything else, but they faced little challenge. The neighboring Brotherhood though it saw greater threat in the Mentak, as did the Clan of Saar who also shared a border with the Coalition. The military build up on my borders though made me start a policy of good fences and good neighbors. And by fences I mean equipping every planetary militia in my space with a PDS and Deep Space Canons. The Mentak, hoping to find more loot, found a supernova instead while exploring, wiping out their scout fleet. It wasn't a major upset, but it gave Yin and Saar an opportunity to snatch up border worlds.

The War Sun came to Rex like an eclipse, firey and ominous. Bathed now in the light of two supernovae and an endless ion storm, the Embers had the only easy path the crown world and took it before the Yin fleets could be massed. The Mentak had harried the Brotherhood in these days and reclaimed their worlds. The Emirs grew rich, lapping up finest milks and batting silken strings. Our trade empire reached the Wormhole Nexus and we made allies of our neighbors. Our armies were unmatched but we had little need of them. Saar took a disputed world from the Coalition, whose access to trade goods had been steadily evaporating as law returned to the Galaxy. This was Leshak, between one of Rex's supernovas and a world veiled in nebulas, it would become known as the Passage of Tears.

The Clan of Saar are not fighters like true Hacan, they are alley cats, not proud lions but still, they are scrappy. The Mentak took the world back and mined the system. Saar counter attacked, bringing their flagship to bear. It was damaged in the mines, but the Mentak were unable to finish the job until they again struck back with an underpowered, but straigh shooting fleet. In the fighting, my cousins sought to curry favor, or perhaps were afraid I would seek to bring them back to the pride. A law had come up to name a Master of Commerce, granting access to the imperial tax coffers. The Clan offered me not only their vote, but also support to the throne and a cash donation as well. This infuriated the representative from Yin, who stormed out of the room into the council kitchens shouting that the deal was like being paid by a prostitute to not only avail yourself of their service, but also to punch them repeatedly. I accepted and became the undisputed economic powerhouse of the galaxy.

In the end, the Yin realized that their peaceful pilgrimadges had been in vain and that they should have pressured Muaat while they were weak. They ceded a Lazax precurssor fossil artifact and support for the throne to spite the Emirates who, admittedly, and been flagrantly embezziling the taxes paid to us. The Mentax were driven back to their homeworld and one small neighboring system. I fear that, without the organizing force, piracy would become worse. In the end, the Muatt ascended the throne, they are the brazen gods of the galaxy. Rarely scene, obsessed with technological perfection and content to threaten with their War Sun and fleets, ready to bore down with all the fury of a star, though they had never been pushed into total war. The Emirates are rich beyond measure. The Clans briefly united, but the war taxed them and they are split and scattered as in days long gone. But one world remained unclaimed.

Primor, a border world between the Emirates and the Clans sovreignty. In the early days of the new galaxy it was thought to be a point of contention, a world known for its mercenaries and little else. It was never claimed, both sides thinking it may have ignited open hostilities. So, Galactic rule never came to Primor. And now it is here that mercenaries of all volition gather, spacers, free lancers, treasure hunters, and those even less savory. Peace may have come to the powers, but by their own admission they are corrupt, unconcerned, self righteous, powerless, and scattered.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rise from your grave, thread!

I played an 8 player game recently with a bunch of newbs and learned that 8 is really too many because the last few people have to take awful loving strategy cards. Does anyone have any fixes for that?

(Also I managed to win despite the fact that at the end of the game I had 4 planets and my fleet consisted of 4 advanced fighters and a cruiser :smaug: )

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Elyv posted:

Rise from your grave, thread!

I played an 8 player game recently with a bunch of newbs and learned that 8 is really too many because the last few people have to take awful loving strategy cards. Does anyone have any fixes for that?

(Also I managed to win despite the fact that at the end of the game I had 4 planets and my fleet consisted of 4 advanced fighters and a cruiser :smaug: )

What SCs are you using? The setup I use is the SE cards with Trade III from SotT, and while Warfare II and Diplomacy II are generally the shittiest, they're still useful in certain situations, and in my experience, all 8 of them get taken pretty often. Even in the early game, Warfare II and Diplo II let you expand faster via +1 move and annexation. Warfare II is almost unquestionably last pick in round 1, and that sucks for that guy, but oh well.

I find the big problem with 8-player games is just that they take forever and are boring because each player has way more downtime.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

If you pick warfare on turn 1 with the Yssaril or the Clan of Saar, your 3-movement starting fleet can invade a neighbouring home system, even in an 8 player game. This is such a dick move, people will likely not expect it. Or if there is a wormhole next to you and another player, you can attack him through it.

Some of the other races can do this as well, but they require using the secondary of technology so it isn't as easy.

Would it be too strong to give the 7th player a TG or CC and the 8th both the TG and CC?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

What SCs are you using? The setup I use is the SE cards with Trade III from SotT, and while Warfare II and Diplomacy II are generally the shittiest, they're still useful in certain situations, and in my experience, all 8 of them get taken pretty often. Even in the early game, Warfare II and Diplo II let you expand faster via +1 move and annexation. Warfare II is almost unquestionably last pick in round 1, and that sucks for that guy, but oh well.

I find the big problem with 8-player games is just that they take forever and are boring because each player has way more downtime.

This was the first time we tried 8 player, we were running leadership, diplo 2, assembly 2, production, trade 3, warfare 2, technology 2, bureaucracy. In the early game, bureaucracy was just not good(it gives you a command counter, woo), and later on diplo wasn't great.

I could have used warfare to blow out one of my neighbors early on but I didn't want to do that because it was his first time playing and I didn't want to introduce the game by ninjaing his capital on turn 2.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I think you're underestimating the power of early Bureaucracy. Knowing what's coming can be a real boon.

As for Diplo, in my experience, usually someone is trying to protect Mec Rex or their home system at any given time during the mid-to-late game. But I haven't played 8-player, so you may have a point. Honestly my advice is: don't play 8-player.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

nimby posted:

Would it be too strong to give the 7th player a TG or CC and the 8th both the TG and CC?

If I'm stuck playing an 8 player game again, I'm going to recommend this.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think you're underestimating the power of early Bureaucracy. Knowing what's coming can be a real boon.

As for Diplo, in my experience, usually someone is trying to protect Mec Rex or their home system at any given time during the mid-to-late game. But I haven't played 8-player, so you may have a point. Honestly my advice is: don't play 8-player.

Yeah sometimes Diplo is exactly what you're looking for, but more often you'd rather have something else and it doesn't really do a whole lot. As for early Bureaucracy, I agree with you that knowing what's coming next is nice, but I don't think it'll usually really change your play on turn 1(you still have to expand) and rarely on turn 2.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You all may be interested in knowing that the Board Games Club at CERN (location of the Large Hadron Collider) has 6-10 player megagames of Twilight Imperium 3e with all of the expansions. The last time that I played in one, we started at 7 AM and ended at 11 PM. I recommend that everyone try to arrange something like this at least once.

In one of the games I managed to squeak out a win by exploiting the trade good-generating capabilities of the Mentak Coalition. It's got a lot of limitations, but quietly building a vast fortune by building destroyers and immediately scuttling them is pretty cool.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

How do you support 10 player?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

You all may be interested in knowing that the Board Games Club at CERN (location of the Large Hadron Collider) has 6-10 player megagames of Twilight Imperium 3e with all of the expansions. The last time that I played in one, we started at 7 AM and ended at 11 PM. I recommend that everyone try to arrange something like this at least once.

In one of the games I managed to squeak out a win by exploiting the trade good-generating capabilities of the Mentak Coalition. It's got a lot of limitations, but quietly building a vast fortune by building destroyers and immediately scuttling them is pretty cool.

You should do a 16 player game once, by taking two 4 ring galaxies, and link them with wormholes, so one galaxy gets all the As and one gets all the Bs. It was done once at gencon, iirc.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

You should do a 16 player game once, by taking two 4 ring galaxies, and link them with wormholes, so one galaxy gets all the As and one gets all the Bs. It was done once at gencon, iirc.

Hot drat son. I'd do that at least once for the experience but holy hell.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hopefully it involves that parallel turns thing I've heard about for Eclipse.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nimby posted:

How do you support 10 player?

We had three galaxies and 3 wormhole types leading between them. Two of the galaxies were larger and contained the starting planets for each of the 10 players + various extra tiles, and then there was a central galaxy containing a bunch of additional planets with Mecatol Rex right in the middle.

hoobajoo posted:

The real issue is getting enough people to support such an endeavor. 10 was as many as we could ever manage. Usually we could only get 8

Elyv posted:

Hopefully it involves that parallel turns thing I've heard about for Eclipse.

I like this idea, but it's easier to just berate people into figuring out their turns faster.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Going to be playing with the Shards of the Throne expansion for the first time with my group next month. Looking for feedback on what modules are good to play with for the first time, and also if we should look more into any modules from the base game or Shattered Empire. For reference we are four players with about as many games under our belt and have not previously used any modules except Mecatol Rex Custodians, Artifacts, and the SE Strategy Cards/Objectives/Racial techs.

From Shards of the Throne I'm planning to use Preliminary Objectives, Flagships, Mechanized Units, and Political Intrigue, and of course the new racial techs and strategy cards. I definitely want to leave out Mercenaries and Final Frontier stuff because we haven't even used Leaders or Distant Suns stuff yet and I think those should come first. I am thinking of throwing Leaders into the mix though unless that seems like too much stuff at once.

Any thoughts?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
1) Preliminary Objectives have their good and bad points. On the upside, they give a nice early game goal to work for. On the downside, there's a massively clear imbalance between someone who gets a PO to control a system adjacent to a home system and then the secret objective to do that to two players versus someone who gets that same PO and then an SO to control all the wormhole systems. Use with caution or with some minor houseruling: draw two keep one for both tends to work fairly well, as does drawing both at once so you know what your second goal to work towards is. I'd recommend the first option, but if you're rather remove a decision point in setup then there you go.

2) Flagships are cool, although they massively vary in use for the different races. The Ghosts absolutely rely on theirs while anyone with a Speed 1 flagship looks at them as a mini War Sun for home system defense. The difference between one and two speed really does mean that much, after all. I'd definitely say use them, though. There isn't anything hugely gamebreaking in the mix, and increasing the diversity of the races is always fun. Just make sure everyone is clear on what the hell the Hil Colish actually does if it hits the table (short version: if it seems like it's a fudgy rules loophole, it is. Hil Colish travels the slow way, all day every day).

3) Mechanized Units are really good. Except, you know, not necessarily for gameplay. They cost four times as much as a Ground Force, have more than double the power with double the durability, but they're only one piece of plastic, which is almost all upside in this game. Their only real downside is that you only get four per player. Guess what, no one ever says War Suns suck because of the two of limit. More importantly, RAW, they're not Ground Forces for any purposes except transportation and conquering/holding planets. This means no bombardment, X-89, random action cards, blah blah blah. They're fun to use because they're so powerful, and it's nice to get an extra ground combat option, but make no mistake, they're incredibly powerful and worth building just shy of 100% of the time you need ground combat forces.

Now, to be fair, Ground Forces do have a numbers advantage in the case of crap like "I have Warfare 1 and have an express need to have multiple units to control planets with and wish to leave a garrison." and of course the Arborec don't like them as much. That's kind of about it.

4) Political Intrigue can either be really fun or it can drag out a step that was already the most dull step in the game. It's going to vary by player and there's no real way to tell. Additionally, some sets can get awkward. If everyone's sitting on incredibly lethal spies but you're the only one without a bodyguard, things get much less fun. Additionally, Influence was already a distant second in evaluation which planets were better than others. Sitting on a bundle of extra votes in your pocket just makes Resources even more of the One True Way to evaluate the good planets. Definitely try it if you haven't, but if it flops don't consider it some great tragedy.

5) Leaders are a little funky. They add small bonuses for an incredibly large amount of bookkeeping. If you're already feeling like games are dragging too long leave them out. Additionally, RAW, free on board Sabotage cards are pretty unfun. Their primary purpose is to add a bit of diversity into the different races, but you're already using Flagships, Political Intrigue, and Racial Techs. When you've got the ship 0.0.1 with its triple fighter ignoring shots, three Representatives that let you wield political power far in excess of your actual vote total, two powerful techs that aid in rapid powerful fleet deployment, as well as an incredibly unique home planet in 0.0.0 with five resources, do you really need to have an Agent, a Scientist, and a Diplomat instead of a General, a Scientist, and a Diplomat to make the L1z1x feel different from the Hacan?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Trasson posted:

Many words.

Thanks for the write up. Thinking about it you're probably right that Leaders probably aren't worth the "book keeping" of tracking their location and effects everywhere. I may try the Preliminary Objective option to "draw two, keep one". Was also thinking of just distributing secret objectives along with them at the start and eliminating the "must complete preliminary objective first" rule, essentially giving everybody a major and minor secret objective.

What are your thoughts on facilities?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Thanks for the write up. Thinking about it you're probably right that Leaders probably aren't worth the "book keeping" of tracking their location and effects everywhere. I may try the Preliminary Objective option to "draw two, keep one". Was also thinking of just distributing secret objectives along with them at the start and eliminating the "must complete preliminary objective first" rule, essentially giving everybody a major and minor secret objective.

What are your thoughts on facilities?

Haven't tried them. They seem pretty simple enough, but my worry with them is that they're so minor they might not even play any sort of major role. I don't think you need to worry about them destabilizing the game, at least.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Trasson posted:

Leaders are a little funky. They add small bonuses for an incredibly large amount of bookkeeping. If you're already feeling like games are dragging too long leave them out. Additionally, RAW, free on board Sabotage cards are pretty unfun. Their primary purpose is to add a bit of diversity into the different races, but you're already using Flagships, Political Intrigue, and Racial Techs. When you've got the ship 0.0.1 with its triple fighter ignoring shots, three Representatives that let you wield political power far in excess of your actual vote total, two powerful techs that aid in rapid powerful fleet deployment, as well as an incredibly unique home planet in 0.0.0 with five resources, do you really need to have an Agent, a Scientist, and a Diplomat instead of a General, a Scientist, and a Diplomat to make the L1z1x feel different from the Hacan?

Leaders are from the base game though, when they added more uniqueness to each race. They are still pretty powerful though, as a Diplomat can delay a planetary invasion, a scientist lets you plop down a cheap Space Dock and admirals make at least 1 Dreadnought very good.

Generals never see much use though, and in my games nobody has ever used Spies for anything other than a Sabotage card. Which is a shame, because if you can snipe a Space Dock with it, you can reinforce your newly conquered planet pretty easily.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Oh, I agree that when you've only got the base game then Leaders add more for racial diversity. I just don't see them as necessary for that goal when SE/SotT are taken into account.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Redirecting a Board Games Thread post to here...

Deviant posted:

Am I wrong in thinking the Naalu Collective in Twilight Imperium is too good? They just build a massive fleet, then stomp all over any non-military races because you can't diplomacy them before they can crush at least one of your systems.

I would say you are wrong, or at least wrong for thinking they're too good for the reasons listed. They don't really have any ability to mass fleets above and beyond the other races, especially since they be fighter heavy (obviously) which means you need less fleet supply in general anyway. The Letnev racial ability is basically the exact the same thing and it doesn't win them automatic huge fleets either, because your limiting factor in massing huge fleets is going to be resources, not a single command counter. Their ability to strike before someone can use diplomacy or some other means of defense is very good, but it's also they're defining feature. It's a powerful tool when used in the right circumstances, which is something you could say for a lot of abilities. It's also balanced somewhat by actually a liability in the wrong circumstances. Depending on who you talk to they may or may not be a fairly strong race, but I think few people would consider them overpowered.

Also I would say that references "non-military races" is kind of strange in TI3. Every race is a military race, they just don't all have abilities/bonuses that directly influence combat. But I think every race is a military race because nobody ever won a game of TI3 without fighting. It's not like Civ 5 or something where you can be a military civ like the Zulu or something and just role over somebody peaceful Civ who was trying to make artists if the have the bad luck of starting next to you.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 31, 2014

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The Naalu are a low-to-middling race; their 3-production home system balanced pretty well by a sweet ability (+1 to fighters) and a couple other abilities that are pretty minor (always go first is a detriment as often as it is a benefit). If they have some good planets on their front lawn, they won't have too much problem resource-wise, given how cheap fighters are, but they definitely have production capacity problems trying to pump out tons of fighters with their space docks on such a lovely home system. I haven't played base game TI ever, but they're probably closer to middle-to-top tier there due to the nonexistence of the Automated Defense Turrets technology. They are by no stretch of the imagination "too good."

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I agree but I can also see why someone might be perceived as too good. Their ability is a bit "win more" in nature. Once the opponent is down it is hard for them to keep you from twisting the knife. Mind you this requires you to have the upper hand in the first place. Recovering territory from them is also a pain.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Naalu are one of my favorite races because I like my fighter swarms, but I haven't felt that they consistently dominate the game. Caveat that I've only played with both expansions, though.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 31, 2014

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Office Sheep posted:

Recovering territory from them is also a pain.

Nah, it's easier, because once your roll up with your big fleet they go "j/k, psychic retreat" instead of having a battle, so you've still got a big fleet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Office Sheep posted:

I agree but I can also see why someone might be perceived as too good. Their ability is a bit "win more" in nature. Once the opponent is down it is hard for them to keep you from twisting the knife. Mind you this requires you to have the upper hand in the first place. Recovering territory from them is also a pain.

This is exactly what happened. They got a +1 Fighters Law early on. And I was stuck as the Universities of Jor Nal. So I couldn't out fleet or diplomacy them. Seemed like I needed all my tech upgrades just to get my combat units back to baseline stats.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Depending on the circumstances, every race can be 'Too Good'. That said, getting an extra +1 to fighters while fighting the Jol-Nar are probably the exact right circumstances for the Naalu or other fighter-races. I don't even know how you'd fight back without just spamming destroyers and hoping for the best.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Deviant posted:

This is exactly what happened. They got a +1 Fighters Law early on. And I was stuck as the Universities of Jor Nal. So I couldn't out fleet or diplomacy them. Seemed like I needed all my tech upgrades just to get my combat units back to baseline stats.

That's less the Naalu being too good and more the Jol-Nar being too bad. -1 to all combat rolls is not to be underestimated. They can be good but it helps to have more experience with the game. They're one of the races I usually don't let newbies pick.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Just played a ridiculous 7 player game of Twilight Imperium and had a lot of fun with it.

I was the Clan of Saar, and managed to get all 3 of my space docks with Sarween Tools going, allowing me to produce enormous quantities of fighters until I hit capacity at 25 or so, at which point I started throwing this deathball around the map.

All was going well until the final turn, when I got hit by a Jamming action card that placed one of my counters on the roving Gypsy death brigade, and the other players mopped up the various victory conditions and ended the game without me.

We were playing with the council members. My Bodyguard Spy got killed (I targeted a bodyguard with the ability to kill the spy that targeted it) and I was without any bodyguards at all, causing the other players to assassinate me until I ran out of representatives, knowing I couldn't defend myself. I couldn't find any rules for what you should do when you run out of representatives, so we just houseruled that I had unlimited 0-strength representatives with no abilities. Didn't stop the poor guys being assassinated every turn though.

It may have just been our group, but nobody ever bothered to play any of the Promissory Notes, and I kind of felt the whole Council thing didn't end up adding anything much. It may have more of an effect in a smaller game though.

We started up with secret objective cards, but some of the players complained that theirs were impossible (sometimes literally - someone had the Control all Wormholes objective, and we were playing with the Ghosts of Creuss and got to the Wormhole Nexus, which locked everyone else from accessing it) so we decided to just do away with all secret objective cards and just score off the regular objectives. This created the problem where on the second to fifth turns, there wasn't really anything we could shoot towards, except aiming to complete one of the objectives each turn. As a result, the game stagnated a bit partway through, until the secondary objectives started coming out.

All the same we had a lot of fun, even though the game ended up taking about 12 hours, including lunch and dinner breaks.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

:siren: Keeper of Gates, the wormhole objective, only counts Quann, Lodor, and the two empty-space a and b wormhole tiles, not the Wormhole Nexus, nor any other wormholes that appear due to domain counters/Ghost racial tech/etc. :siren:

We need an :ffg: emoticon for poo poo like that. My favorite example is that the Technocrat secret objective doesn't count the yellow tech specialty planets. :ffg:

Also, if all your councilors die, I think you just literally can't participate in the voting? I can't remember.

Strategy-wise, if you're Saar, always save a Sabotage for the inevitable Signal Jamming. If you don't draw sabotage, welp. . . I think Saar are one of the weaker sides, and the Signal Jamming problem is one reason. Rolling up planets with your giant katamari ball of fighters and space docks sounds fun, but in practice it's just not that good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

:siren: Keeper of Gates, the wormhole objective, only counts Quann, Lodor, and the two empty-space a and b wormhole tiles, not the Wormhole Nexus, nor any other wormholes that appear due to domain counters/Ghost racial tech/etc. :siren:

Do you have a link for this? Not that I don't believe you because this sounds like an incredibly :ffg: thing to do, but I'd like to have an official reference rather than "some dude on the internet said so" for the next time I play.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Also, the Ghost-controlled wormhole nexus isn't impossible to conquer, just very difficult - if you draw Cultural Crisis you can stop the ghosts from being ghosts long enough to invade it, and if you draw Multiculturalism, you can steal the ghost power of "the ghosts can always use wormholes, regardless of other game restrictions" ability and invade it. The latter was a masterful play that won a game for a friend of mine, since there was an artifact in the nexus.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Elyv posted:

Do you have a link for this? Not that I don't believe you because this sounds like an incredibly :ffg: thing to do, but I'd like to have an official reference rather than "some dude on the internet said so" for the next time I play.

the official faq posted:

To complete the “Master of Gates” secret objective, a player has only to control the systems with the original 4 wormholes. . .

And in another case of :ffg:, it calls it "master of gates" instead of "keeper of gates." Also this reference is in a question about the Distant Suns option in the base game, so it would make sense if they countermanded that ruling in a later one about the Nexus in the section for the first expansion, but they didn't, so this ruling stands.

Also, you don't have to "control the systems," as in control the planets and have a ship there; the objective clearly says just "have a ship there."

FFG! :argh:

edit: I found the SE rulebook, and on Page 10 it explicitly says that the Wormhole Nexus does not count for Keeper of the Gates.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 4, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Elyv posted:

(edit: beaten)

The wording of this is on Page 4 of the FAQ:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Twilight%20Imperium%203/ti3faq.pdf

Q: Are the additional Distant Suns wormholes part of the objective condition required to resolve the “Master of Gates” Secret objective card?
A: No. To complete the “Master of Gates” secret objective, a player has only to control the systems with the original 4 wormholes, not any that are added via Distant Suns tokens.

It makes sense to extrapolate this to the Wormhole Nexus, which is technically an optional add-in rather than a component of the main board.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Also, I just edited in, but the SE rulebook actually makes this explicit, in a case of FFG being not so FFG for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

DontMockMySmock posted:

And in another case of :ffg:, it calls it "master of gates" instead of "keeper of gates." Also this reference is in a question about the Distant Suns option in the base game, so it would make sense if they countermanded that ruling in a later one about the Nexus in the section for the first expansion, but they didn't, so this ruling stands.

Also, you don't have to "control the systems," as in control the planets and have a ship there; the objective clearly says just "have a ship there."

FFG! :argh:

I swear, trying to crib all the rules together for this game after not playing it for 2 years was a trial. Reading through 3 separate rulebooks, trying to work out which combination of setup rules to use, cross-referencing stuff between each manual and remembering an obscure reference from some other part, working out what extra stuff needs to be handed out... This game is really asking for a new edition.

Out of interest, can you use Diplomacy II's secondary to take control of an enemy's planet with no ground forces, and does this constitute an act of war (breaking trade agreements)?

(edit) Just found that you can take over an enemy's planet. No word on whether it breaks trade agreements though. I guess the ability is called 'Peaceful Annexation' so there's no reason it should!

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 4, 2015

• Locked thread