Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Stanos posted:

Pardon me if I don't exactly take something Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Sheldon fuckin' Adelson agree on at face value. If it's for expanding green cards and letting educated people live in America I can get behind that. Perhaps even an offer for people who go to school here. But I have this sneaking urge they don't give a poo poo about that and just want to expand H1Bs for the carousel of temporary indentured servants.

I used to have an H1B, and got my green card recently. While I had my visa and then GC sponsored by a company that treated me really well, a lot of my friends at other companies weren't so lucky. They basically got exploited mercilessly, and they couldn't do anything about it because it's so difficult to change employers while on H1B.

While the immigration system is very complex, the indentured servitude problem is relatively easy to fix. The government simply needs to make it trivial to change companies while on H1B. Basically, make it so that the visa is a blanket work authorization in a high-skill position for a set period of time that is not tied to a particular company. Once market forces are allowed to operate on the supply of H1B workers, these companies will suddenly start treating them a lot better, and paying them a lot more too.

As for undocumented workers, it's a very complicated problem. I totally sympathize with people who are sneaking into America to escape from violence in their home countries. While I immigrated through legal means, it was because I had the ability on top of a ton of luck. The stars sort of aligned for me, and they did so multiple times. Not everyone has the opportunity to do so. In fact, most people don't. I'm not in favor of deporting those people or their kids, because that's the equivalent of condemning them to a life of unspeakable horrors, or even death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tsa posted:

Besides that strict immigration laws are hardly an american thing and are present in most countries with strong welfare systems.

An American friend of mine emigrated to Australia. He got his residency in two years, and full citizenship two years after that. This is in contrast to America, where the welfare system is utter poo poo and it takes anywhere from 10-20 years to become a citizen.

Spain gives residency to anyone who buys a house there.

I could go on.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't think Spain is the example you want to use for a nation of immigrants.

Who said anything about them being a nation of immigrants? That's not what is being discussed at all. Please read more carefully.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

computer parts posted:

A lot of immigration systems are biased to the wealthy (Spain as you mentioned, Canada is also similar), which is fundamentally different from the usual issues that plague the US regarding immigration.

A reform to the H1B system though or something like the article mentioned would probably be in line with that though.

You are kidding right? America has a visa category specifically for rich foreigners. It's called the "emigrant investor" visa.

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-fifth-preference-eb-5/eb-5-immigrant-investor

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Xae posted:

H1Bs shouldn't have a number cap. But they should have a minimum wage, say $150,000/yr tied to inflation.

Let companies bring over all the experts in whatever field they can dream up. But stop bringing over 22 year olds and paying them $20K/yr to work in entry level IT jobs.

H1B is not just about "experts." It's about skilled labor in general.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Stanos posted:

Are you trying to suggest there's a dearth of people who could be trained to be Help Desk?

Whenever I hear the garbage about 'There's not enough (x) to keep up with business demands!' I automatically plug in '...but we're unwilling to train them' or '...at the prices we are willing to pay' and it suddenly makes a hell of a lot more sense. When 9 of the top 10 companies that suck up H1Bs are outsourcing companies based in India, the system is busted. Train the people here and make H1Bs for stuff that's actually difficult to find. Then pay them like you would an American and ENFORCE IT. poo poo, the whole thread was started because of the really smart people here who are unable to get jobs because they are undocumented. I'm sure there's quite a few of them out there that could be trained to fix the demand issue!

Except that doesn't fit into the system of short term profits for long term losses.

I'm not sure why the USA is special and should be spared from the global trend of downward pressure on wages.

You guys enjoyed your golden years after World War 2 and you prospered while other Western nations were rebuilding. Grats! That time period is behind us however. This is the age of global competition and you have to earn those jobs that everyone is competing for. The American Dream is over. Welcome to real life! Foreign companies have developed industries now, and they are marketing their much-more-cheaply-produced goods in America, which means American companies are under pressure to also reduce their costs. You can't have your Samsung Galaxy S5 and eat it too, you know.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dmitri-9 posted:

Why do workers need to cross national borders to lower wages?

What?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Yea the fetishism of immigrants is weird too, these aren't "noble savages," they are just normal people, dealt a lovely handy, looking for an opportunity.

I don't know... I've felt a lot of things since immigrating here thirteen years ago - hated, feared, mistrusted, alienated, etc. - but "fetishized" is not one of them.

On the day I got my green card, the letter that came with it said "it is with great pleasure that we welcome you to permanent resident status in the United States" and it was such a bizarre thing to read that I had to check if the letter was fake.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 24, 2014

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

computer parts posted:

Because it's a rejection of the "Great Man" in favor of the "Great Culture".

I think the former is an extension of the latter, actually.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

People shouldn't be forced to 'earn' a decent living when technology has made basic sustenance so incredibly cheap. The labor market is a relic of a hardscrabble time when you had to wrest your food from the unyielding stony earth, and doesn't make much sense when we're literally running out of things for people to do.

I totally agree. If it were up to me, I would implement Unconditional Basic Income for everyone, so that working is completely optional.

It is not up to me, however, so we have the system we have now. Might as well deal with the reality.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vssrio23 posted:

Your first point that undocumented workers are forced into poverty is correct. Your second point that they would have, if documented, went to college is a not only a non-sequitur argument but is also a strawman to draw attention away from the original claim.

Well, considering that one of the guys enrolled in community college and then got kicked out...

quote:

Your final point is, again, a non-sequitur argument. It is not established that they would have been successful on par with the MIT students even if they were citizens. Winning a robotics competition is in no way a guarantee that one can find a profitable career after his formal education. To make the logical leap you have made is factually absurd.

No one said they would have become as successful as MIT students. That's your dumb strawman. The point is that they were not even given the chance to try.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vssrio23 posted:

However, why were the MIT students used as a figure of merit for comparison? Is it not implicit in this article's reasoning, and indeed this documentary's, that these kids could have been as successful as the MIT students if, as you say, they were given a "chance"?

My point is that it is absurd to conjecture that by merely winning a robotics competition a student has an equal chance to acheive any type of financial success than runner-up student.

The point the documentary makes is, look, these guys are smart enough and skilled enough to beat a group of people from one of the nation's top universities in an advanced technical competition when they had neither the same level of education nor the same level of resources to realistically be able to do so. By not giving them and those like them the right to become a part of American society, the US is losing out on a lot.

As for the conjecture itself, it's definitely not absurd if you understand how admissions departments work. If these guys were legal residents, they would be able to leverage their victory in the competition to have a very good chance of being admitted to a top university, possibly even with scholarship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

vssrio23 posted:

What is the percentage is this "very good chance"?

68.77%

• Locked thread