Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ryand-Smith posted:

So Destroying children's credit is being a "good neighbor? and just living? I mean, I don't know about you guys but my credit IS how I earn my money, and if someone was to steal my SSN to try and make a better life for themselves, but they destroyed mine, that sure isn't ethical.

They only steal SSN's in the first place because they're here illegally, and even then your own article points out that they do it to get jobs, not go on spending sprees. If they're not here illegally, they won't steal SSN's, problem solved. It's also possible to commute crossing the border, but not the theft of an SSN, so that's an argument over application rather than principles. Finally, the fact that they are here illegally is what gets used as leverage to force them to take below market wages.

So all you've really got is this sense that things would be unfair. But when you post stuff like this:

Ryand-Smith posted:

I'm sorry if I'm contrarian, but when you have filled out hundreds of immigration papers, visa requests, signed forms, and gone to naturalization ceremonies, you would understand that people who have worked hard, and not had the luck to simply cross a border (luck meaning they COULD, rather than it was easy, immigrating across the desert, dealing with rapists, drug lords and violence is not luck() (and I know about open borders, my homeland has an issue with genuine terrorists invading and bombing schoolhouses), is not .. fair.

But I have a unique perspective, since we managed to immigrate here, after losing a civil war (Biafra), and we managed to get to the middle class without stealing social security numbers or working under the table.

I have to question your sense of fairness. "Oh sure, they had to cross a desert and risk rape, death and other forms of violence, but I had to fill out paperwork, and spend money and go to ceremonies!" That makes it sound like they deserve to be here just as much as you, taking a risk like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread