Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Xae posted:

H1Bs shouldn't have a number cap. But they should have a minimum wage, say $150,000/yr tied to inflation.

$150,000 is way way too high and would actually price out a lot of talented people out of entry level jobs, which are usually around $60-80k/year in tech.

quote:

Let companies bring over all the experts in whatever field they can dream up. But stop bringing over 22 year olds and paying them $20K/yr to work in entry level IT jobs.
Or just stop making H1B1 lottery based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dmitri-9 posted:

What? If american workers really had no marginal value to companies then wages would fall without immigration because the companies would just globalize more. HB1s are just a naked wealth transfer to owners and the only thing the US has to get used to is billionaires with unlimited greed and fat media budgets.

HB1s requires reform but right now they are a pretty good ticket out of corrupt/poor second world countries for a whole bunch of people.

joeburz posted:

3rd generation immigrant from both sides, all the amnesty "garbage" as you put it is a bit more nuanced than you present. Also you're reading like a migration version of the awful minimum wage argument "why should people get paid 15 dollars an hour when i only make 18????"
Third/Fourth generation immigrant don't mean poo poo dude

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm a second generation immigrant and I think the same thing, does my opinion get to count?

I actually don't really give a poo poo but trying to flash third generation immigrants as something meaningful is kinda dumb

• Locked thread