Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

buttcoin smuggler posted:

I don't have anything substantive to say, but this situation saddens me and I hope our immigration policy changes soon. Even putting aside the obvious ethical arguments, the economic benefits alone justify immigration reform. These benefits are even clearer in the case of highly skilled immigrants like the ones in the OP. People with MIT-caliber quantitive abilities are extremely rare, and their capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship often make them the real "job creators."

I haven't heard an argument against less restrictive immigration policy that isn't based in some combination of misinformation and crypto-racism.

The subject of the documentary is only tangentially related to the issue of skilled immigration though, which indicates that the PR campaign behind it is really good. The real issue behind the documentary is how should we handle unskilled immigration, and while many people agree that we should allow people who came here as children to stay, there's an implicit suggestion that illegal immigration should continue unabated, and this is a bad idea for many reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Good point, we've been so selfish--whoops your mask fell off Mr. Bezos, check your straps

If you didn't want to get replaced by an immigrant, you should have paid attention in school and/or come from a family that was able to build wealth between 1945-1970. If you did those things, you wouldn't have anything to fear, which explains the demographics of the open-borders crowd.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

So do you still think we should just send them all back?

Nah, i've embraced the fact that my political goals will only be furthered by unrestricted immigration. My job will never be at risk due to outsourcing, and I will only benefit from falling prices on a variety of services, especially cheap Mexican food. Also, demographically speaking, we won't even have to try to pretend about the concerns of certain groups anymore.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

People shouldn't be forced to 'earn' a decent living when technology has made basic sustenance so incredibly cheap. The labor market is a relic of a hardscrabble time when you had to wrest your food from the unyielding stony earth, and doesn't make much sense when we're literally running out of things for people to do.

If you want to have a strong basic income program, you can't also have essentially open borders. You have to maximize the percentage of the population who can build and maintain the technology that allows a high standard of living, and minimize the people who have no hope of ever contributing to the economy, but still get a paycheck for breathing.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

Ryand-Smith is a huge rear end in a top hat; my entire family here in the US were almost deported due to the rank incompetence of INS and we're not going to go around chest thumping about how we beat the system by having then Sen. John Edwards (D-NC) call up the INS who suddenly "found" our documents all of a sudden. It's not like immigration is like going to ben and jerrys and standing in line for a scoop of whatever you want. It's 26+ lines, some of them which give you ice cream quicker than others because you have more money, some that make you go home after you get your first scoop, and others that grant you ice cream if you're lucky.

You should have been part of an important racial voting block, then immigration laws wouldn't apply to you. We prioritize the indios.

on the left fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 26, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

"Heh, get in line like everyone else".

*uses literally the quickest visa method that takes under a year to process*

Note that you don't have to be anti-immigration to point out the double standards that the US has created for immigrants from Latin American countries vs practically every other country.

Maybe the answer to the H1b problem is not to creat more H1b visas, but just to formally allow companies to hire people without doing even basic due dilligence on immigration status and citizenship. Microsoft and other tech companies could invest hundreds of millions into sneaking people into the US and then playing dumb when it comes to where they came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

computer parts posted:

Hmm yes I suppose that if you ignore that these people are willing to do backbreaking work and live in abject poverty for decades that sure is a double standard.

I don't know why you'd want to encourage that kind of job creation in the US.

• Locked thread