Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Mun2 is showing this movie again at 4p/3c today. Will be watching, looking forward to it already. Hopefully we can talk about the movie once more people have seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
I feel like you guys missed the point of this movie.

quote:

Most reasonable people get this. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Sheldon Adelson (!) wrote an op-ed in The New York Times last Friday bemoaning the insanity of training immigrants at our best universities, then forcing them to go home. But in pushing for comprehensive immigration reform, the billionaires seemed most concerned about wealthier émigrés, whom they argued should be allowed to stay if they come with money.

Valid point, but it ignores the fact that poor, undocumented Hispanics—the ones most denigrated by Tea Party know-nothings—have much to offer, too, just as penniless immigrants (i.e. your ancestors) always have.

Those scraggly Latino kids on the corner you might think are thugs could be the next Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg if given half a chance.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
30 minutes till it's rebroadcast, I think that all of the channels that ran it yesterday (MSNBC, Mun2, Telemundo) will be running it today. I know for a fact it'll be on Mun2.

Edit: Starts out pretty fun, very endearing.

Cercadelmar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 21, 2014

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Alright, I just finished watching the tv version of this movie.

I love what this film is trying to do. The whole immigration debate is so dehumanizing to undocumented citizens so it's good to see media putting a face on immigrants.

This movie brings me back to highschool. People don't expect much from young Hispanics, and it's only worse if you're undocumented. I knew a few people who didn't have papers back then and things weren't much better. Dropping out was pretty common back then. Hopefully films like this are signals of change.

Petey, you mentioned the film version was different, were there any major differences?

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Petey posted:

Well, it's half again as long, so I think the story is just much more coherent. I know the students and I think Mazzio did well by them in both versions though (and they think so too).

There will be a big showing at the Museum of Science on Aug 7th (Mazzio is from Boston) w/ lots of politicos and I hear there will be a "major announcement" this week. Of what, I'm not sure.

Yeah, the tv version moved pretty fast and I would have enjoyed spending more time from scene to scene. I still liked watching it, though I hope it'll come out soon on something like netflix.

No one here would have happened to have seen Documented? I enjoyed Jose's essays on being undocumented and would like to hear about his film.

Cercadelmar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 26, 2014

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

In what way does winning a robotics competition (with an MIT team as a contestant for dramatic effect) have anything to do with achieving financial success?

quote:

A decade after the competition, MIT professors invited the winners to Cambridge, Massachusetts for a reunion with the MIT team they beat. Not surprisingly, the losers were now winning engineers; one of the MIT graduates had gone on to invent ear buds for Apple.

The undocumented winners haven’t done so well. Christian, who had finished second in his high school class, was forced to drop out of community college in 2006 under the harsh terms of Arizona’s Proposition 300, which denies state aid to undocumented students. Lorenzo went to culinary school and started a small catering company, where Luis, a janitorial supervisor, helps out. Oscar, hoping to join the Army and become legal, turned himself in to the authorities, who deported him to Mexico.

Because it shows that undocumented students are forced into poverty. Having watched the movie, the Hayden team were a bunch of awkward nerds who in any other situation would have been able to go to college.

The only thing keeping them from "achieving financial success" was not having citizenships.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

Your first point that undocumented workers are forced into poverty is correct. Your second point that they would have, if documented, went to college is a not only a non-sequitur argument but is also a strawman to draw attention away from the original claim.

Your final point is, again, a non-sequitur argument. It is not established that they would have been successful on par with the MIT students even if they were citizens. Winning a robotics competition is in no way a guarantee that one can find a profitable career after his formal education. To make the logical leap you have made is factually absurd.

quote:

Christian, who had finished second in his high school class, was forced to drop out of community college in 2006 under the harsh terms of Arizona’s Proposition 300, which denies state aid to undocumented students." I think its safe to assume that most of them could have gone to college.

quote:

Anjelica Hernandez, a female member of the 2004 robotics team who is featured in the film but didn’t travel with the boys to Santa Barbara, is taking up the challenge. When I met her, she had just received a master’s in science from Stanford but devotes much of her time to highlighting the injustices committed against tens of thousands of young “Dreamers” who came as children and-- even with President Obama’s 2012 directive--are still having trouble getting legal.

quote:

Oscar was allowed to come back to the United States and join the Army, where he served with distinction in Afghanistan. At present, he’s the only one working in a STEM-related business.

Somehow I assume they would have done better if they were citizens. I'm confused as to what you think the cause of undocumented students being forced into poverty is.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

One should not assume such things that they do not intricately understand.

I do not myself believe I am confused by the question of why illegal immigrants and residents have depressed earnings in the formal economy.

What I am confused about is why a winning a robotics competition is sign that a student will be successful in the adult world.

Your argument is just strange. Like, yeah winning a robotics competition doesn't mean they'll be successful MIT super engineers. What it does mean is that they're good enough at robotics, engineering, and writing to be able to win in a college robotics competition as high school students. It's not a huge leap to assume they would do well with more education.

Unrelated, but man do you have a weird style to your posts. Use a contraction please, reading them makes me type like you and it just feels off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

Do you know know their grades, attendance, discplinary record, or any of their other qualifications? Is the only thing that gives you faith in them a politicized robotics competition?

You didn't see the movie. The contest was way back in '04 and not very politicized. They won because their robot genuinely did well in the water and they understood how their robot did well enough to write and do presentations about it to the judges.

I don't understand why you're being such a pedant about something you didn't even see.

• Locked thread