Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Hugely expanding h1b's would be a great way to get the vast majority of americans against immigration reform- lots of people support it so long as the jobs being affected are poor people jobs.

Petey posted:

Your skepticism of tech companies' interest in immigration reform is warranted.

In this case, however, we have a group of students who were brought here as children, came to school, and are fully American except for a piece of paper saying so. Per your second point, it is very important, for many reasons, that we find a way to allow them to be at home.

People who have lived here since childhood and have no other home should certainly be complete citizens, that seems obvious.

buttcoin smuggler posted:

I don't have anything substantive to say, but this situation saddens me and I hope our immigration policy changes soon. Even putting aside the obvious ethical arguments, the economic benefits alone justify immigration reform. These benefits are even clearer in the case of highly skilled immigrants like the ones in the OP. People with MIT-caliber quantitive abilities are extremely rare, and their capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship often make them the real "job creators."

I haven't heard an argument against less restrictive immigration policy that isn't based in some combination of misinformation and crypto-racism.

Economic benefits for whom is the question- and if the only thing that changes is we let more immigrants in to be exploited without changing the labor laws I bet you can guess who the "whom" is. Besides that strict immigration laws are hardly an american thing and are present in most countries with strong welfare systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

I'm not sure why the USA is special and should be spared from the global trend of downward pressure on wages.

You guys enjoyed your golden years after World War 2 and you prospered while other Western nations were rebuilding. Grats! That time period is behind us however. This is the age of global competition and you have to earn those jobs that everyone is competing for. The American Dream is over. Welcome to real life! Foreign companies have developed industries now, and they are marketing their much-more-cheaply-produced goods in America, which means American companies are under pressure to also reduce their costs. You can't have your Samsung Galaxy S5 and eat it too, you know.

America may be struggling a bit, but everyone else is hurting a lot more and that's what matters. Europe has been teetering for half a decade, china has huge mounting problems and so on.

Inequality has increased worldwide and it's not because of what you are going on about. See Dmitri's post above.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

vssrio23 posted:

That is correct, they did win the competition. What is unestablished is whether they have the character and aptitude for sustained performance to achieve financial successful after the competition. Winning a competition such as that is not a measure of one's future potential so much as it is a result of what one has already done. Your claim effectively assumes that the past result (the competition) is an indicator of future performance from the students.

At its heart, this is a fallacious argument.

Past results are absolutely a predictor or indicator of future results, or there would be no point in modeling the stock market. The phrase you are thinking is "guarantees future results".

Hell there would be no point in admission standards at all- picking randomly from high schools would be just as effective as any other method if there were no correlations.

tsa fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread