Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

An American friend of mine emigrated to Australia. He got his residency in two years, and full citizenship two years after that. This is in contrast to America, where the welfare system is utter poo poo and it takes anywhere from 10-20 years to become a citizen.

Spain gives residency to anyone who buys a house there.

I could go on.

I don't think Spain is the example you want to use for a nation of immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Who said anything about them being a nation of immigrants? That's not what is being discussed at all. Please read more carefully.

I'm not sure why you're so huffy but you were talking about the differences between getting a visa in the US and Spain. The fact that Spain has essentially zero to a rounding error immigration before the mid nineties invalidates them for a qualitative comparison.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

vssrio23 posted:

Your first point that undocumented workers are forced into poverty is correct. Your second point that they would have, if documented, went to college is a not only a non-sequitur argument but is also a strawman to draw attention away from the original claim.

Your final point is, again, a non-sequitur argument. It is not established that they would have been successful on par with the MIT students even if they were citizens. Winning a robotics competition is in no way a guarantee that one can find a profitable career after his formal education. To make the logical leap you have made is factually absurd.

It's not that absurd. Sorry.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

vssrio23 posted:

What is the percentage is this "very good chance"? More importantly, after going to this "top university", how do you know each one of these students will be able to mimic their success at the competition during 4 years of advanced-level courses?

Do you know know their grades, attendance, discplinary record, or any of their other qualifications? Is the only thing that gives you faith in them a politicized robotics competition?

Are you the creation from a different years robotics competitions, jesus loving christ?

• Locked thread