Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Sounds like Ashley's player hit the renegade options too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
man, i LOVE the Series and i Genuinely Liked about 95% of the third game. Its the other 5% that killed the game for me, sadly.

That said, i like your LP so far and i am quite interested in seeing how thins pan out, with three out of my four favorites dead, for afair this actually brings about a few changes?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Giving this a shot. Loved your Neverwinter LP's! So I hope this'll be good!

Somehow I thought you'd do it all in screenshots. Weird.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So, as someone who in the past month played through ME1 and is nearing the end of ME2 and was a bit put off by the changes in it, I just want to thank you for making this thread. I'm rather on the fence about getting ME3, and this seems like a drat fine way to see what it has to offer and help me decide one way or the other.

chiasaur11 posted:

You humans are all racist!

Sir, you tried to bring a fifteen inch serrated blade onto a public shuttle.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Green Intern posted:

Mass Effect: Space Racists Everywhere.

ME3 has the single best response to this. You know the line.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hadn't touched this game since I beat it soon after it came out. Not out of hate or anything, just couldn't drum up an interest. Today I put the game in my 360! Someday soon, I'll actually go in and play it. :v:

The gameplay of this game is top notch, and the multiplayer is surprisingly high quality. The single player has some fantastic moments - one moment in particular I consider the best in the franchise - but there's so much dragging it down. The kid is one of them. We hadn't connected with the kid, so it just comes off has a hamhanded grab for sympathy. Part of the problem is the placement, here at the beginning of the third game. Neither returning players nor newcomers can bond with him; so his death scene would be better served later in the narrative. Even better if he was a returning character somehow. And of course, he'd have to actually be likable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Good luck with your trip through space story time.

My choice between Kaiden and Ashley was more of a mercy kill to Kaiden. Because I really, really did not like ME1 Adept and I was convinced his class was the real reason Kaiden had constant migraines. Though Ashley was pretty meh. "Ash, ASH. I gave you the best heavy armor and assault rifle we could find. Why are you dead on the floor again while Tali has 19 trillion points of shield left and is causing SCIENCE EXPLOSIONS?" Why yes I had a much more enjoyable time as an Engineer with Engineer buddy than Adept teamed with an Adept buddy why do you ask?

Maybe this is why I was pretty okay with Jacob in the sequel. At the very least, he could play lift grenade duck-hunt with incendiary shotgun rounds.

EDIT: If I ever get around to replaying these games (On PC this time), I really need to find a mod that just gives me infinite pistol ammo in the sequels.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 23, 2014

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

… I don't remember it.

Mind, my reaction would be to basically accept the accusation as true and start chanting the Litany of Hatred from the Imperial Guardsman's Uplifting Primer, just to utterly freak out every alien in the vicinity, so I'm not sure what constitutes the best response to this.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 23, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I don't, because I've never played ME3. I am going to guess that it involves violence, though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Section Z posted:

Good luck with your trip through space story time.

My choice between Kaiden and Ashley was more of a mercy kill to Kaiden. Because I really, really did not like ME1 Adept and I was convinced his class was the real reason Kaiden had constant migraines. Though Ashley was pretty meh. "Ash, ASH. I gave you the best heavy armor and assault rifle we could find. Why are you dead on the floor again while Tali has 19 trillion points of shield left and is causing SCIENCE EXPLOSIONS?" Why yes I had a much more enjoyable time as an Engineer with Engineer buddy than Adept teamed with an Adept buddy why do you ask?

Maybe this is why I was pretty okay with Jacob in the sequel. At the very least, he could play lift grenade duck-hunt with incendiary shotgun rounds.

EDIT: If I ever get around to replaying these games (On PC this time), I really need to find a mod that just gives me infinite pistol ammo in the sequels.

I always found it funny that, outside of Shepard, pretty much every Human party member gets outclassed pretty quickly. I always laugh at Miranda in ME2 when she goes on about how she is perfect and makes special note that her biotics are "top notch", yeah, sure, that's why Jack can maintain the bubble and you can't :rolleyes:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Aces High posted:

I always found it funny that, outside of Shepard, pretty much every Human party member gets outclassed pretty quickly. I always laugh at Miranda in ME2 when she goes on about how she is perfect and makes special note that her biotics are "top notch", yeah, sure, that's why Jack can maintain the bubble and you can't :rolleyes:

In ME2, like every second character you recruit is "the most powerful biotic of all time" :jerkbag:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aces High posted:

I think the separation there is that Jack's loaded up with enough biotic-enhancing implants to technically qualify her as a cyborg. Genetic enhancements aside, Miranda's supposed to be the best 'natural' human biotic. She still gets outclassed by asari on a regular basis, but that's like putting a go-kart up against a tank.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My dirtiest videogame secret is that I really liked Jack as a character.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

By ME3 she gets pretty likable.

Really, for all the talk of how crap the humans in Mass Effect are, they're not batting too bad an average.

Sure, Miranda, Jacob, Ash, and Kaidan are all varying degrees of sucky, but Vega, Jack, Zaeed, and Kasumi are all alright to great by Mass Effect 3.

Even odds.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vega's kinda eh, but those other three are good. Kasumi quickly became a favourite of mine by the end of her DLC. I've always had a soft spot for devil-may-care daring thievery, and she more than filled the spot.

How's Zaeed's DLC in ME3? I only played From Ashes (and the MP DLC) and I never see anyone talk about it.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Eifert Posting posted:

I think they did her romance with a somewhat surprising amount of subtlety and care. It's not just 'listen to her problems, give advice then bone her'.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eifert Posting posted:

It'd be a dirty secret if you really liked Jacob as a character, Jack is just sort of off the beaten path.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

Jack's not a bad character.

That said, maybe we shouldn't get into a derail about her until she's at least mentioned in the game? If she is, anyway.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Vega's kinda eh, but those other three are good. Kasumi quickly became a favourite of mine by the end of her DLC. I've always had a soft spot for devil-may-care daring thievery, and she more than filled the spot.

How's Zaeed's DLC in ME3? I only played From Ashes (and the MP DLC) and I never see anyone talk about it.

I liked Vega actually. I liked calling him out on his flirting towards Fem-Shep.

Saying goodbye to Kaiden was the worst though. :smith:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I liked Vega actually. I liked calling him out on his flirting towards Fem-Shep.

I agree. With Male-Shep he's just kind of another soldier bro, and doesn't exactly stand out amongst the previous ME squad members in terms of personality. But with Fem-Shep he's a lot more charming and interesting, in an adorable kind of way. :3: Makes him more likeable overall.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Personally I'm really torn about ME3:
On the one hand, I really like the actual gameplay, I had a lot of fun shooting stuff and after playing ME1 and 2 for way too long, I was too committed to not pick it up.
Where it fell flat for me was the overarching story. There are a lot of individual scenes and missions that I really liked and I looking forward to seeing them again later on in the LP. One of the major things missing was however was any sense of escalation of the hostilities. From the word go Earth itself is under attack and yet somehow, the nearly indestructible force of nature that is the Reapers is unable to complete its subjugation leaving Shepard an indefinite amount of time to dick around in the Galaxy. I realise that a lot of that is owed to current RPG conventions, nobody wants to have the player experience a bad end because they did too many side quests or scanned too many planets. Personally I would however have preferred if hostilities would scale up over the course of the game and lead to the great climax that is the current end of the game instead of opening with the worst case scenario happening and then just... being there for the rest of the game until the player decides he wants to do the last mission.
Maybe this is being a bit too unspecific, but I don't want to get ahead too far of the story, so I'll await your next episode and your take on the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sheep-dodger posted:

Personally I would however have preferred if hostilities would scale up over the course of the game and lead to the great climax that is the current end of the game instead of opening with the worst case scenario happening and then just... being there for the rest of the game until the player decides he wants to do the last mission.
Maybe this is being a bit too unspecific, but I don't want to get ahead too far of the story, so I'll await your next episode and your take on the game.

Fallout kinda did this and it went pretty well. Of course, that was a different time.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well it's not like timeline missions haven't been used in this series before, most of the decisions for side quests in Mass Effect 2 revolved around whether or not you liked your squadmates enough to do their loyalty missions, lest you risk them dying in the final mission. Likewise if you don't immediately go to the final mission after your ship is attacked then you risk your captured crew members being killed.

However I think it is unfair so say that the game neuters the threat of the Reapers since it takes them forever to really do anything on Earth but going further in this discussion constitutes massive spoilers and we're going to be covering some of it within an update or two any ways :)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Zaeed's DLC is from ME2, and it's... okay. It's about as short as one of the firebase missions from ME3 and ends in a really dumb "pet/kill puppy" moral choice.

His appearances in ME3 if you import a save where he survived the suicide mission and stayed loyal are pretty hilarious, though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

sheep-dodger posted:

From the word go Earth itself is under attack and yet somehow, the nearly indestructible force of nature that is the Reapers is unable to complete its subjugation leaving Shepard an indefinite amount of time to dick around in the Galaxy. . . Personally I would however have preferred if hostilities would scale up over the course of the game and lead to the great climax that is the current end of the game instead of opening with the worst case scenario happening and then just... being there for the rest of the game until the player decides he wants to do the last mission.

I largely agree with you, and I think that some of the best stuff about ME3 is in the background. The Miracle at Palaven is really awesome, and instead of being given pride of place amongst resistance stories I'd bet that some people who've played the game missed it entirely. Likewise, while I feel the invasion of Earth and other worlds is consistent (if the game takes place over the course of three to six months it doesn't seem unrealistic that a numerically limited Reaper force would only destroy a certain amount given their desire to indoctrinate and "save" sentient species) it certainly reduces some of the urgency that you feel, especially when you happen to overhear something on the Citadel and run an errand for someone.

At the same time, I really enjoy what happens when you ping too much in a system under Reaper interdiction.

Kurieg posted:

It's about as short as one of the firebase missions from ME3 and ends in a really dumb "pet/kill puppy" moral choice.

Yeah, that mission always frustrated me. Kasumi's was better. Zaeed as a character is pretty good, though. Definitely better than Jacob, albeit without dem abs.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 24, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, that mission always frustrated me. Kasumi's was better. Zaeed as a character is pretty good, though. Definitely better than Jacob, albeit without dem abs.

Zaeed and I share opinions on old guns. My engineer would give up so much to have my old infinite ammo doomsday pistol. "oh, I used up all my Carnifex ammo again. Maybe if I take the ammo capacity armor part?... +1 bullet. Okay, but at least ammo pickups are plentiful right?... I've picked up three pistol bullets... Out of a maximum of 6/18, 6/19 with armor pack :suicide:" SMG got the job done... Once I got the only non DLC upgrade. But I had to reload an old save because I triggered a cutscene and point of no return before I picked it up, realizing this after blowing up the Geth colosus.

It felt like a LOT of guns and upgrades were in momentary point of no returns in part 2. There was an assault rifle damage upgrade that was only available if you looked at a wall display in the short window of time between you arrived in Morinth's apartment, and it got back to cutscenes.

At least the ammo for heavy pistols was a bit more generous in this game. Carnifex is up to 6/30 ammo! I have a hilarious exploding gel pistol, awesome. I did not resent my weapons situation in part 3, even though they removed permanent heavy weapons.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 24, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's nice to see an LP of this game. I had a great time with the series, but I've became numb to the trilogy after getting into the discussions here and on the Bioware forums and coming across people who not only hated the things/characters/decisions/etc I like but made me feel bad for liking them in the first place.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Section Z posted:

Zaeed and I share opinions on old guns. My engineer would give up so much to have my old infinite ammo doomsday pistol. "oh, I used up all my Carnifex ammo again. Maybe if I take the ammo capacity armor part?... +1 bullet. Okay, but at least ammo pickups are plentiful right?... I've picked up three pistol bullets... Out of a maximum of 6/18, 6/19 with armor pack :suicide:" SMG got the job done... Once I got the only non DLC upgrade. But I had to reload an old save because I triggered a cutscene and point of no return before I picked it up, realizing this after blowing up the Geth colosus.

It felt like a LOT of guns and upgrades were in momentary point of no returns in part 2. There was an assault rifle damage upgrade that was only available if you looked at a wall display in the short window of time between you arrived in Morinth's apartment, and it got back to cutscenes.

At least the ammo for heavy pistols was a bit more generous in this game. Carnifex is up to 6/30 ammo! I have a hilarious exploding gel pistol, awesome. I did not resent my weapons situation in part 3, even though they removed permanent heavy weapons.

Yeah. I'm literally replaying ME2 right now and one of the things that consistently bugs me about ME2 is that with pretty much any weapon you feel as if you're running low on ammo. I know it's probably a design decision to get you to use different weapons/powers on a more regular basis, but I feel kind of pigeonholed into a play style I'm not exactly fond of.

One thing ME3 got right was the primary gameplay mechanics. It's evidenced by a lot of people on here complimenting the Multiplayer mode. In the main campaign ammo is never really an issue either, unless you're playing with guns that specifically have small ammo reserves because they're more gimmicky weapons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

I have Citadel, but probably won't show it.

Um. What's the point, then? With this in mind, why only show this game? I'm just confused.

I actually recorded all three games. Completely. Including Pinnacle Station. I had planned on doing an LP of all three games edited into something coherent. Then I thought...pretty much everyone has played these games or knows them. And how to do this in a way that is even remotely entertaining.

Then I put it aside.

I'm curious to see if you can make this worthwhile.

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Um. What's the point, then? With this in mind, why only show this game? I'm just confused.

I actually recorded all three games. Completely. Including Pinnacle Station. I had planned on doing an LP of all three games edited into something coherent. Then I thought...pretty much everyone has played these games or knows them. And how to do this in a way that is even remotely entertaining.

Then I put it aside.

I would watch that. Do it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I always liked ME3, and actually preferred it over the original ME. Though I'm one of those weirdos who didn't think much of the original game to begin with and only got hooked with ME2. As much good as this game has, that ending and Kai Lang :argh: really brought the game down for me. It wasn't until the Citadel DLC that I was able to really enjoy the game again and finally put the stupid ending anger to rest.

Also kudos on the thread title.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
So hey, an LP of Mass Effect 1 is what sold me on the series in the first place, and I still have some fond memories of most of the series (even chunks of 3).
I'm interested in the direction you're going with this, and will probably have some things to comment on when they come up.

As for the first video, I do think the originally planned trial would have been a better choice. Bring new players up to speed, have the Vermire Survivor be a witness for the defense, something like that, and then get it interrupted by the Reaper invasion to shock players into how urgent things are. I think London would have been a better choice of location, though. It's in the trailers, it's notable to modern day and has iconic features, it'd give a sense of "oh poo poo Earth is getting ripped a rear end in a top hat" a bit more weight, and, well, last reason would be a spoiler but people who've played the game can probably guess what it is. The Child... I'll have more to say later, as I'm sure others will as well.

Jams Vengeance is the best/worst character. Why? He's David Ryder. He's Buff Drinklots, Smash Lampjaw, Big McLargehuge. Even in just the introduction you can make a number of guesses about his character, most from design alone, and most of those guesses will end up correct. On one hand, he's a bit one-note and predictable, but on the other it's almost cheesy enough that you can tolerate/make fun of it.

Hack Blowfist.
Beat Punchbeef.
Splint Chesthair.
Blast Hardcheese.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Then I put it aside.

If you were willing to put in significant amounts of extra effort and a lot of editing out boring parts like Mako driving, you could attempt to style it as critique.

I know that's a lot to ask, but that is something I'd like to see if you're still on the fence.

There's a lot in the Mass Effect games that's handled well and much that's not handled well at all, from the perspective of gameplay as well as the writing. I doubt that such a thread would lend itself to well-reasoned discussion, but perhaps something good comes out of it. It may be worth the experiment.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Migeman posted:

I would watch that. Do it.
I would also watch a Mass Effect anthology that pares down the boring bits.

I never played Mass Effect 3 and only did one run through the first two games.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mass Effect 3 to me is like 50% a good game, 20% of a great game. and 20% that is just weird, awful or retconned. then the other 10% is the dumb ending (that does dissapoint but the internet went crazy over) and the technical issues.

The vanguard is at peak pinball though so that is amazing.
ABC: Always, Be, Charging!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Zedd posted:

The vanguard manguard is at peak pinball though so that is amazing.

Charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova etc

Everyone's dead. You have near unlimited shields. Basically no one can actually shoot you.

...kiiiiiinda breaks down at the higher echelons of multiplayer though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Fedule posted:

Charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova etc

Everyone's dead. You have near unlimited shields. Basically no one can actually shoot you.

...kiiiiiinda breaks down at the higher echelons of multiplayer though.

I can't tell you how many human vanguards I've seen skewered by the strongest enemies in gold matches. Tougher enemies will punish you for getting too close, much less blowing up your shields to attack. Which explains why infiltrators are so popular in that mode. Or the were before that last update that re-drew the maps and gave every faction at least one weapon or unit to discourage you from sitting still.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 24, 2014

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Waltzing Along posted:

The point of this LP is that Mass Effect 3 actually has a really good story, including - especially - the ending. With that in mind, why show anything but this game?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Part 2: Tutorials

Further Reading

Dead Space 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxezK0uWmDI
auntie pixelante - http://auntiepixelante.com/?p=465

How do you make good tutorials? Should you have to look things up in the manual sometimes?

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Lt. Danger posted:

Part 2: Tutorials

Further Reading

Dead Space 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxezK0uWmDI
auntie pixelante - http://auntiepixelante.com/?p=465

How do you make good tutorials? Should you have to look things up in the manual sometimes?

I want to say that I'm really loving your analytical commentary. It puts a different prospective on the game, and it's giving a fresh look on things that I've seen multiple times on multiple playthroughs.

Whereas the previous tutorial section more sterile in terms of just about everything, the Mars section feels much more organic as a tutorial. As the player you're allowed access to more weapons and powers, as well as the weapon modifications. Like you said in the video, the enemy types reflect the devs wanting you to learn offensive tactics and I think it works very well.

From a story standpoint, more is going on here with exposition but yet it doesn't feel forced. You're getting bits and pieces of info that set up the events of the rest of the game, character introductions with the Illusive Man and his new right hand, and it gets established that despite your early differences with Vega, he's still part of the team.

Artistically speaking there's a lot going on here as well. The giant storm on the Martian surface obviously symbolizes the oncoming galactic threat, but it also adds tension to the situation as a whole and also establishes that hey, you really are out on Mars. It's a little thing that they didn't need to include as a kind of set piece (they could have shown the Reaper invasion or a big Cerberus ship), but I like that they did.

There's a little tidbit I rather appreciate when Ash gets hauled back to the medbay of the Normandy. Shep is so momentarily overwhelmed with things that Liara has to snap him out of it. This is something that we haven't exactly seen before; a vulnerable, overwhelmed Commander Shepard. Whereas the previous two games had you feeling like a supersoldier who could overcome anything, here in the first real area of the game we get a Shep who finds himself doubting. It's a a very subtle thing (for a Bioware game) and I find that it lets me bond more emotionally to the situation and story rather than the Reapers vaporizing an anonymous child.

I like the link to the Dead Space 2 intro. That intro is very streamlined. You get to see the bizarre looking enemies, learn the basic controls, learn about item pick-ups, ect. It also establishes what kind of game and story you're in. You get to know that your character has encountered the Necromorphs before, that it's a horror yet action game, that there's an outbreak of the monsters, and what your objective is. It's interesting to play without seeming too hand-holdy, which is something the Earth tutorial of ME3 unfortunately has in spades.

• Locked thread