Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

I have Citadel, but probably won't show it.

Um. What's the point, then? With this in mind, why only show this game? I'm just confused.

I actually recorded all three games. Completely. Including Pinnacle Station. I had planned on doing an LP of all three games edited into something coherent. Then I thought...pretty much everyone has played these games or knows them. And how to do this in a way that is even remotely entertaining.

Then I put it aside.

I'm curious to see if you can make this worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

The point of this LP is that Mass Effect 3 actually has a really good story, including - especially - the ending.

:stare:

I don't want to get spoilery, but would you PM me your rationale for this?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

If you were willing to put in significant amounts of extra effort and a lot of editing out boring parts like Mako driving, you could attempt to style it as critique.

I know that's a lot to ask, but that is something I'd like to see if you're still on the fence.

There's a lot in the Mass Effect games that's handled well and much that's not handled well at all, from the perspective of gameplay as well as the writing. I doubt that such a thread would lend itself to well-reasoned discussion, but perhaps something good comes out of it. It may be worth the experiment.

I'd actually planned on leaving the Mako driving in. My idea was to do Luna ASAP and when you do the bunkers and come back to the Mako, have Joker inform you that he has managed to wire earth radio stations into the Mako. From that point forward, during Mako missions, I would include music catered to different party members. Like Liara would enjoy Top 40, Garrus Jazz and so on. With additional text displayed bickering as squadmates fight over the radio.

About midway through ME3 I started to really doubt the entire process. The flaws that became extremely apparent on what was now my 3rd playthrough really sapped my desire to share the game. I still have all the data backed up. Roughly 500 gigs of it. Might even be more.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After watching the two vids I can make a few comments:

1 - They are well done. They look good, sound good, and flow well and are interesting.

2 - Even though you said you feel this is a good game, so far you haven't really shown anything that was particularly good but have pointed out a lot that is bad or could have been done better. This is mainly in terms of the gameplay. The story stuff has been neutral.

3 - Judging this game on its own isn't really a fair way to do it. At least in terms of story and writing. Are you going to fill in the back story as we come upon integral plot elements?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neruz posted:

That is probably because almost all the parts of ME3 that are even remotely worthy of praise have nothing to do with the main plotline. I expect we'll start seeing more good things when Lt. Danger starts sidequesting.

Well yeah, but he says he is doing this LP to show off why it is a good game. But we are an hour in and this hasn't happened. I think it is a terrible game with some really great aspects. But I feel this way because I look at it as the conclusion to a trilogy rather than an entity on its own. On top of this, I feel the best part, by far, is Citadel. And he doesn't want to show that off so yeah. Anyway, I like hearing differing viewpoints and since he is doing a good job of this, I am eager to hear the conflicting ideas. I'm also hoping it makes me like the game again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm gonna say nice things in, uh, about two videos' time (so next Thursday hopefully).

So by hour number 3?

Also, it would be interesting to have some of the vehement haters in a co-commentary video for some of the more divisive moments.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No Allers? True, you have the choice to not bring her along, but she is part of the game.
I also laughed at your comment about how "some" of the bad writing had to come over.
Are you going to go into any detail about Liara/Shadow Broker and all that? That whole thing is just terrible to an extreme. You are at the Presidium for a few hours, come back to the ship and she's got a whole room set up? Yeah, she used her own resources to do it but it also immediately would give herself away as the shadow broker, a secret person. It doesn't make sense. Other than Earth thinking other races would want to help it is, to this point, the worst written aspect of the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it's funny how people always rationalize killing Ashley by calling her a racist. They conveniently forget that she actually has a character arc where she starts off as racist and then realizes the error of her ways and ultimately becomes a great friend to all races.

Kaiden, on the other hand, is just boring in the first game. He offers almost nothing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Koopa Kid posted:

And that's great, and he's a good character but that's just filler talk, it's fun and interesting but doesn't add anything to the story. Javik makes sense as a DLC character, the only issue is that he's a clear cash grab and people place more importance on him because of his background than his presence in the game really warrants.

With this in mind, who then is actually important other than Shepard?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

StrifeHira posted:

I have to say that I actually miss the heavy weapons a bit. Well, more that I miss having them around? I always used them as convenient "Boss-Killers" and not much else, but the lack of them always makes me feel like I'm missing something, even if functionally they're rarely used.

Of course there was only one weapon I really ended up using most of the time anyway, bless its clip-less little particle accelerator of a heart. :allears:

Killing the Praetorians in ME2 without the particle beam on insanity was not fun. I'm not even sure if it was possible.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think this is where the game really starts to run off the rails.

Corinthian: don't know who the leader is.
Shepard: I don't care if your planet is getting destroyed, I need your help to save mine!

Just terrible. It really clearly shows off how stupid a storyline it was for Shep to wander around recruiting to "Save the Earth!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

Yes.

The bulk of the Reaper fleet is at Earth. At the moment, they're busy harvesting people, but once they're finished they will turn their full attention to the turians, asari and everyone else. The Reapers attacking Palaven are a small distraction force (see that intro cinematic for the Menae mission) - they're there to tie up the turian fleet... to "divide and conquer", as people've mentioned before.

Shepard wants the Primarch (and the asari, and the salarians) to commit to a united assault under the Crucible superweapon to break the back of the Reaper fleet at Earth ASAP. The asari and salarians want to just defend their own borders and worry about the long term later.

Any of you ever play a team battle in an RTS? Starcraft or something? In a 2v2 or 3v3, if your teammate gets rushed, you don't turtle up and leave him hanging, because then it turns into a 2v1, they steamroll you and you lose the match. Instead you throw everything you have to save them and punish the rusher afterwards - together.

The whole point is that they don't spread their forces. Letting the turians fight just on Palaven and the asari fight just on Thessia and the salarians fight just on Sur'kesh is spreading your forces. Letting the Reapers destroy Earth takes humanity out of the fight, and then the Reapers can destroy Palaven and take the turians out of the fight, and then the next world, and the next...

Better to rally the galaxy now while only one of the galactic powers is crippled, than to wait for humanity to be destroyed and the turians to be crippled, or the humans and the turians to be destroyed and the asari crippled, etc.

What you say sounds nice but none of it is in the game. It is all your own head canon or inference or however you want to put it. You just did he Palaven/Manae part. They said a few times that Palaven is getting butchered. You aren't even there. You are on a moon and there are Reapers all over. On the main planet it is just as bad, or worse than on Earth.

And later on we will be seeing the same thing. There are a ton of Reapers and they aren't all focused on Earth. It is also, at this point, only a couple days after the initial attack on Earth.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

Waltzing Along is confused when he says Shepard convinces Victus not to care about Palaven because Earth is somehow more important.

Shepard gets Victus off Menae at the request of the turian councillor so that Victus can attend the war summit because Victus is the new primarch. That's the only reason Victus needs to go. He's nervous because he's not good at diplomacy, but he knows his duty.

The reason Shepard mentions Earth is to explain that this is bigger than one world - Earth is also under attack, we need a galactic solution to this galactic problem, we need your fleets for the Crucible - and as a reminder that Shepard had the exact same decision and made the exact same choice - to abandon the fight on his homeworld to pursue a united response.

It's the "I need an alliance. I need the turian fleet," that confuses people, I think, because they think Shepard is speaking as a soldier for Earth (he's not, Anderson took that choice) when he's a soldier for the Crucible, for the galaxy.

Since you brought me up directly...

I am not confused by it at all. You are the one who says this is a good game. I was pointing out something that was really bad. Even a renegade Shep from the first two games wouldn't be so utterly crass as to act like Earth was more important. But here, even a full Paragon Shep, comes off like the other worlds are secondary to Earth. It's not consistent writing. And as has been written before, we are shown one thing and sort of told another.

I want you to convince me it is a good game. I felt it was a good game the first time I played it but one with a terrible ending. By the third time I had played it I thought it was a terrible game with a few really well done bits.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was referring to his conversation with Corinthian? The first guy who tells him to find Victus.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It means I want to gently caress Miranda?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What you are saying about these sexy people makes sense. But please explain why the Dalatrass is cum city?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think this thread illustrates pretty well why ME3 is a bad game.

Just look at all the differing ways people are bashing it and others trying to protect it. "It's misunderstood" is not a valid argument here. For some art it works. Some art is supposed to make people talk. ME3 is not that sort of art. It's a game that people are supposed to play for fun. All this stuff that gets mixed in takes away from the fun.

ME1 and ME2 are good games. ME1 gets criticism because of its poorly implemented RPG aspects. In spite of this, most people still think it is a great game because when you finish the game you are satisfied. ME2 doesn't get as much criticism because it is a much smoother experience and once again, when you finish the game you feel satisfied.

Very few fans of the series felt satisfied with ME3 when they finished. It upset a lot of people. ME3 is not a good game. I think this is the crucial point.

When you take the game apart there is a lot that is good and also a lot that is bad and even more that it somewhere in between. Focusing on the good parts is great and is why people will replay even though they see it as a bad game.

I have to admit, I feel a little bad for the OP. He is doing a nice LP which takes a lot of time and effort and is getting poo poo on. On the other hand, he said he was going to show how this is a good game and hasn't done anything of the sort. In fact, he has shown off more bad than good. And he killed Wrex. Killing off one of the most popular characters in the series and not showing some of his most powerful scenes is an interesting choice if one wants to show off the good of a game.

I get the idea of saying, hey check out this alternate stuff that most people don't see. On the other hand...Wrex.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

We're like five updates in.

I'm just curious to see the shitstorm after the finale. More so because I want to see how you say it is a good way to end the game. I'm patient. And again, I am enjoying your videos, even if I disagree with your opinion.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earnestly posted:

Goons seemingly just want to hate this game. I don't get it.

The first time though it seems a lot better than it really is. Subsequent playthroughs are when it really starts to stink. Other than the end, I thought the game was great the first time. No longer.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

theCalamity posted:

I don't know if this was brought up or not, but are you playing the original ending or the Extended Cut?

I can't imagine there being any way it is the original. That would ... actually fit the LP, I think.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One area that I think ME3 suffers is it follows up two of the greatest games ever made. Each of which had an epic ending and each of which really pushed the boundaries of what games could be. ME3 wasn't epic, though it tried to force it. I didn't break any ground, because that ground had been broken. When the best thing about the game is a tacked on multiplayer element, that the designers also tried to force the user to play...yeah.

I wonder what ME3 would be like for a new player who had no idea of what had come before.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neruz posted:

The ending sequence was literally the worst part of ME2 what are you smoking.

I don't even know how to respond to this. What part of the game after you go through the relay is bad? How is it not epic?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Aces High posted:

probably around the time you have to fight a human-looking proto-reaper as a final boss?

Sure the parts where you have to choose who lives or dies leading up to the final boss is tense and kinda epic in nature but that boss just sucks

Well yeah, the boss is kinda silly. But that's just a couple minute fight. The end cinematic afterwards is great and everything that comes before is great, too. It's still an epic finale.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neruz posted:

The giant human reaper completely and utterly ruined the ending sequence for me: I just cannot enjoy it when I know that it is leading up to that loving thing.

It does make sense, though. It's a surprise but not one that comes out of nowhere. If the reaper babby looked like Sovereign, no one would have batted an eye.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neruz posted:

No it does not make sense there is absolutely no reason why that thing should have been shaped like a human, none. The justification that all the Reapers have a smaller form inside their main body that looks like the original species that was mushed up to make them is thin and holds no water because the entire goddamn thing makes no sense at all.

The only reason that thing existed is because they decided they wanted a way for Shepard to fight a Reaper personally and that was their way of achieving it. Their stupid, stupid way.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was it made sense that you fought the reaper at all. You knew they were harvesting people and they were using those people to create a new reaper.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I enjoyed that video but do take issue with a couple things.

You said you killed off Mordin because he changed and you didn't like the change. Right before this you said that Mordin was the best character because he wasn't black and white. What you seem to be saying is he is a great character for the exact reason you chose not to have him around. So what is it?

Also, it's obvious, I think, where you are headed with this now, but is this just for the game, or do you actually believe there is no fundamental difference between something animated with life and something animated with electricity?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Actually, Saren hosed Anderson over and tried to kill him. IIRC, the two of them went on a mission to a fuel refinery type place. I think they either had to kill or extract one person. There was a town surrounding the refinery where most of the workers lived. Saren went off on his own and blew up the factory.

Then in a his word vs. Andersons he got away with it. Anderson already knew how bad Saren was. The dock worker on Eden Prime had no reason to lie. And anyway, how would he even know who Saren was without hearing the name?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hated Tuchanka in ME2. The place just didn't make sense. For what was supposed to be the planets seat of power, it looked more like a base camp in a blown up city. I get that Tuchanka is supposed to be screwed up, but the way it is presented would make sense if there were only a hundred Krogan wandering around. It just didn't work.

I was fine with Illium, though. Yeah, it really was no different than the wards but they aren't really that different anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Once you have played through once, you only have to do the Citadel 3 times.
1 - First time. Recruit. Do all the quests. And on this one you do have to wander the whole thing for the keepers.
2 - Go back to finish a couple and pick up new ones. The only bad part is taking the elevator down to CSec. From there you can fast transit everywhere.
3 - When you are grounded.

Complaining about the Citadel in 1 is pretty lame.

Now in 2 and 3. Yeah. It's really boring in those and in 3 you have to constantly go around if you want to talk to people. It's awful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You certainly complemented ME1 and 2 a lot in this video. Though saying ME1 was poorly written is very far from the mark. Start to finish it is the best written of the series. It has a coherent plot structure that is void of the gaping holes that riddle the next two games. It introduces characters and begins to develop them. It has a satisfying introduction, arc and ending.

One thing about this "DLC" that always drives me nuts is how you are able to just access the stasis pod. Where is Cerberus? It makes no sense that they would just leave this out. Especially if they were trying to get it open. They would have taken it, or at least had it under heavy guard.

Another reason ME3 is a badly written game.

Also, why is Javik African? Is this a Star Wars prequel?

Another thing, why does Javik have his room set up moments after arriving on the ship? It makes no sense.

Some may feel I am being ticky tacky but these are the sorts of things that pop up on multiple play throughs that pull the game down. There are some things that got better and when I see one I will point it out.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 10, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I guess no one commenting on the stupidity of Cerberus in From Ashes is a tacit agreement that the writing is, in fact, bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From Ashes would have made more sense if:

Cerberus had taken control of a number of pods.
They are killing the Protheans because they can't open the pods properly.
You have to infiltrate and are able to open the last pod because Shepard has the cypher.

Wandering around a compound and finding the key codes in Alliance computers is moronic.

I like Javik, mind you. I just think this whole thing is stupid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

Agreed. And why doesn't Cerberus just shoot down Shepard's shuttle while they're at it? Lame.

Yep. That would make a much more exciting start to the mission. You get shot down. Then have to fight your way to and infiltrate the base. And then fight your way out on a hijacked Atlas with a groggy Javik stumbling along behind, held up by your two squadmates.

It's not really hard to improve the writing in ME3. You just have to think for a moment.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing I've noticed in your vids is you shoot the turrets on the side, rather than the barrel. Doesn't it do more damage if you hit the barrel?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm actually a terrible shot.

You seem fine to me, but I've only got myself as a reference. I see a lot of headshots and it looks like you are playing on Insanity, too. It's just the turret shots that I always wonder if I was just stupidly upping the difficulty for myself by aiming for the barrel.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is kind of tacky to post someone elses vids in a LP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

double nine posted:

I feel like a lot of the comments are <<why aren't you LPing this the way I want you to>> so I just want to toss that link their way so that it might stop. no tackiness meant.

There is a difference between advertising a different LP and debating the LP itself. This LP is about why ME3 is a good game. This is contentious. Hence the debate.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cryohazard posted:

Might be a bit late to bring this up, but I felt like Mordin becoming consumed by guilt and looking to undo his questionable legacy was a natural progression for his character.

I agree.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The truth is that Shepard is a Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008