Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

habeasdorkus posted:

I played a vanguard, so the final battle to me was running up to all those banshees and punching/dodging until they gave up the ghost. Was pretty epic to me, because I refused to play a more cautious style where i wasn't blitzing all over the battlefield.

One thing about the kid dying... Yes it's ham handed. But the last time I can remember Shepard NOT being able to save one was all the way back in the original Mass Effect when you had to make your choice between Kaiden and Ashley. I think beyond personalizing the death and destruction the point is to show that Shepard can't save everyone.

Put me in the category of people who really liked the game, though I haven't replayed it since it came out. There was enough that made the game great (final bro-down with Garrus, for example) that allowed me to try and ignore the ending... which was great right up until after the showdown with the illusive man.

Maybe, but the fact that not only was it is child who died, but the one child to ever exist in the entire series (we'll see what passes for other "youths" later) instead of someone Shepard (or the player) actually cares about just made it kind of insulting. Worse, it disregards some very major events we saw that should be haunting Shepard, like killing 300,000 people just to delay the Reapers last game or abandoning someone on Virmire in the first game, in favor of the lowest common denominator. Which will be something of a theme in this game's "emotional" scenes.

The game is actually pretty good, just nowhere near as good as it would have been if the writers weren't so rushed and scrambled. Say, by giving them an extra 18 months to wrap it all up properly, or at least extend it to another game so they could end it when they were ready instead of sticking to a trilogy for no reason. The ending kind of soured me on the rest of it, so I'm not as forgiving on other issues as I could be.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Fedule posted:

Charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova -> Charge -> Nova etc

Everyone's dead. You have near unlimited shields. Basically no one can actually shoot you.

...kiiiiiinda breaks down at the higher echelons of multiplayer though.

I can't tell you how many human vanguards I've seen skewered by the strongest enemies in gold matches. Tougher enemies will punish you for getting too close, much less blowing up your shields to attack. Which explains why infiltrators are so popular in that mode. Or the were before that last update that re-drew the maps and gave every faction at least one weapon or unit to discourage you from sitting still.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 24, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Promontory posted:

I haven't played the third game, but I think the problem with that scene is the developers assuming too much about your character. After two games most players probably had a pretty solid idea of what 'their' Shepard was like. Not all of them would care about some kid beyond 'well that sucks'. The kid's probably supposed to be a symbol of everyone on Earth, but I think it falls flat - there's no real emotional connection to Earth in Mass Effect games, since you're always off interacting with everything else in the galaxy.

I think I recall someone suggesting that the kid should have been the deceased party member from Virmire - that might've been a more reasonable haunting, even if you hadn't played the series before. In that case Shepard would have direct responsibility for their fate and not just be a witness of it.

e: silly me not reading new posts

And that is why the dreams, the kid, and a number of other "emotional" scenes in this game fall flat: they depend on trying to coax a reaction from what the player "should" feel for (Earth, and child) without bothering to earn it. Before this, we never even saw Earth let alone did much with it and that kid was on-screen for a minute or two tops, yet we're supposed to be torn up about it despite all the other things that should weigh on Shepard that go mostly unmentioned, like being forced into genocide. It's just insultingly transparent emotional manipulation.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I blame a lot of the problems in the story on the decision to stick to the trilogy format despite not having it properly plotted out. They tried to wrap everything up with the big climax of a war story, but weren't at all prepared for it, so everything comes off as rushed and contrived to fit it in with the "war is hell" theme. Even doing so little as making the time skip last a few years instead of just six months would help things a little.

The writers had options, but they were too scrambled to use any of them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spectre's are above the law because they allow the Council to have them preform any number of what would ordinarily be considered war crimes while claiming plausible deniability. They aren't technically giving them any orders or resources, so nobody can prove that their activities can be blamed on the Council.

Neruz posted:

No Spectres are above the law because they are supposed to be better than the law. Saren was literally the first Spectre to ever go rogue in the entire history of the Council since its founding. Until Saren happened Spectres were trusted implicitly because all Spectres had been trustworthy. Being a Spectre was supposed to be a position of great honor and responsibility and the idea of someone abusing that power to go against the Council was literally unthinkable.

Nah, Anderson says that some Spectres have gone rogue before. It's just rare since most do respect the office too much to abuse their power unnecessarily. When it happens, the Council does exactly what they did in ME1 and sends another agent to take them out after stripping their status.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neruz posted:

Huh really, must have missed that. The only reason I could see for the council absolutely refusing to believe Saren went rogue in ME1 was because it was a thing that literally never happened but if it has happened in the past then welp ME writers are bad at making sense.

To be fair, Shepard wasn't just accusing a respected Spectre of going bad. S/He was accusing him of allying with a race of robots that have never worked with organics for 300 years to destroy an entire human colony. All while it was well known that Shepard was mentored by a man who had a grudge against Saren who also made similar accusation against him 20 years ago with no evidence beyond the testimony of a couple of scared colonists who couldn't identify him as anything other than a heavily armed turian.

As soon as s/he got some actual evidence, they stripped Saren and hired Shepard to go get him.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

double nine posted:

The problems with ME3 stem more from its predecessor and the infernal timescale EA forces on its studios than anything else. It inherited from mass effect 2 the problem that people expected a lot of their decisions to have an impact on the story which was impossible given the budget and timescale, and that ME 2 refused to set up the scenario for reapers returning - it should have been about shephard searching for a reaper-killing tool, not about this suddenly-appearing villain race that has no overall impact on the reaper conflict.

I agree, but feel that ME2 could easily have made real strides to giving everyone a fighting chance against the Reapers along the way to beating the Collectors with just a few extra side-quests or some mention of usable data being recovered from the Collector base. If nothing else, they could remember all the setback the Reapers have suffered this cycle and have them weakened enough that they'd need time to gather resources to begin a full invasion. All they'd have to to is give a decent time-skip between the games to allow for the galaxy to start arming itself for the coming dark age and we'd be ready for the big epic war story they were so intent on showing. Anything would have been an improvement over the giant Dues Ex Machina device that nobody understand at all, but are desperate to build and just hope it somehow solves their problems.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MidnightVulpine posted:

I find that an interesting statement. And it makes a bit of sense to me. The zombie threat is simple on the individual scale. But you'll never defeat the horde. You just don't have enough bullets. Which is much the same when it come sto the Reapers. The foot soldiers are easy. The threat is overpowering. And so you don't face the threat head on and the story becomes more about the characters than the threat itself, which provides a backdrop to tell a story.

I'm a bit mystified at what sort of arc those who think ME2's time was wasted on the Collectors would expect from a ME3 where we already have the super weapon. Because once you have the means to defeat the Reapers themselves, it becomes a giant space battle. Perhaps someone who shares this view can elaborate on exactly what would make ME3 better if it were laid out that way. I'm curious.

Because said superweapon was never hinted at before and has no defined function, which makes it an obvious deus ex machina in waiting for the writers to pull themselves out of the corner they wrote themselves in. It makes no sense for everyone to spend what few resources they have left on this thing with no guarantee that it even could help. Worse, it's unnecessary because they have other ways out that have been established or were at least plausible that are just ignored like the Citadel relay control, the 2000+ year delay on the invasion, and recovered Reaper weaponry.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rogue0071 posted:

You find out what that superweapon is in ME2 - it's a giant cannon which killed the Derelict Reaper. Which is one of the many ways described both in the codex and in the game for killing Reapers (there is literally a codex entry called "Reaper vulnerabilities" which talks about how to conventionally kill Reapers - a Dreadnought isn't enough but a few of them with Thanix cannons can be). That superweapon doesn't foreshadow the Crucible, it just makes the idea of everyone pouring their resources into it rather than building a few dozen supercannons even dumber.

The other races didn't have the advantage of not having their governments, best fleets, and control of the mass relays wiped out in one blow by a Reaper strike on the Citadel - which was the entire point of Mass Effect 1. They also didn't have the Reapers having to use FTL drives to move all the way from dark space. There are plenty of ways to write this in a way that made sense.

Exactly. ME1 and 2 showed that for all their overwhelming power, the biggest advantage the Reapers have is that they don't allow the races they exterminate any real way organize enough to fight back. They hide all evidence of their existence, seed technology for the races to copy so they become dependent on tech that can be easily neutralized, use indoctrinated sentients to divide and conquer, and start with surprise attack on the Citadel and control the Relay network so the races are completely screwed. Throughout the series we see how there were attempts to neutralize all of these to give the galaxy a faint chance the likes of which nobody has ever gotten before, but all of it was just ignored so the Reapers would pop up all at once, nearly invincible with endless armies. Now the story had to contrive some way to beat them despite all this and the writers just couldn't figure out how to do it without nonsense like the Crucible.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I agree about the Javik criticisms. I like the character and his weapon, but he was a huge waste of potential standing in the background when he should have been earth-shattering in impact.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Maybe if they hadn't cut him out and made him DLC he could've been more important. It's kinda like the Leviathan DLC, you learn some important poo poo regarding the Reapers but (Ending spoilers) Space-Baby just handwaves that away as "That's not important after all"

I read that he was originally supposed to be found on Mars and inform you of the Crucible, but he was cut out for some reason. I have no idea why, because doing so would have improved him and made the Crucible a lot palatable by letting somebody who actually knew what they were talking about be the person who suggests it. It wouldn't change the fact that the writers deliberately didn't assign it an actual function in hopes of being a backdoor for their as-of-yet unwritten endings, but it'd be a start.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

BioMe posted:

It's just that the humans aren't really more boned than the turians here, and their fleet is actually bogged down fighting the war in the homefront instead of fleeing to safety.

Although obviously the Mass Effect logic is that infantry is somehow infinitely more important than spaceships, so I guess it makes somehow sense to help the diminishing guerilla forces on Earth.

Not to mention that the turians have a much bigger fleet and larger economy than the humans, so they'd be more important on a galactic stage. It's not like there's anything special about the Reapers' attack on Earth to justify making it of paramount importance other than the writers expect us to simply because it is Earth. If someone had called Shepard out on being so myopic when the invasion is spreading so fast, that would really help the story. Instead, Shepard just expects everyone to drop their own issues to save Earth and anybody who doesn't do so is seen as a selfish, short-sighted fool by the story despite usually being equally desperate.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

It would helped the feeling of scale if they had an extra year or so to add in some vehicle missions with an improved Hammerhead. It was just mean-spirited to have that thing destroyed off-screen instead of adding anything when we're finally in a situation where it'd do its job best.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

I thought Jack's model was pretty well designed, honestly. It leaned more towards full punk/not giving a poo poo about what you do or don't show, than any kind of artificial sexualisation.

I know I would have liked her a lot more in ME2 if that were her original design instead of looking like something out of a bad trip. It's hard not to improve from the belt-bra.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Earnestly posted:

I agree with your points, and I am trying to maintain the same mentality. I passed up the third installment due to the overwhelming internet backlash. I played the poo poo out of the first two games, and was very curious to see where the third one went. Then the internet convinced me it was another Dragon Age II. Admittedly, nothing I have seen so far in the lp proves to me that Mass Effect is A)A bad game, B)A bad Mass Effect game or C)A bad story.

Goons seemingly just want to hate this game. I don't get it.

We have yet to reach the points that really pissed people off. Or the points that, in retrospect, make others worse by association (i.e. the end).

I'm not saying that a lot of the complaints, my own included, aren't often overblown, but the story does earn some of its scorn. Though, I admit disappointment over what the game could have been drives the hate more than what it actually was.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Not to defend ME2's terminator baby (why they chose that design over all the better ones they had drawn up in concept art, I'll never know), but I can't see that being the big deal breaker while ME3's ending gets a pass to anyone.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

Here's the point that drives it home: Nef. You really start to see the implications there talking to the girl's mom and seeing her diary.

So... yeah. Different subject before I start frothing at the mouth over this, the other ME2 character whose name beings with "Mor-". Mordin was probably my second favorite character in ME2 and sadly the only death in my first playthrough, so I got to see Wiks' actions before I got to see Mordin's actions in the game. I'm actually OK with Wiks as a character, even if he has shades of "what 'Hollywood' understands about scientists" in regards to his science, but I think he did his job fairly well. I still personally prefer Mordin over him and sort of like his end being the more ironic one of the two, curing the thing he re-engineered due to what he says is a change in circumstances surrounding it.

I see Morinth as a predator in general, not any sort of statement about homo or heterosexuality. Nef may have been discovering her sexuality, but nothing says she was wrong for being with a woman. Just for that one particular woman exploiting whatever vulnerability she could find in the girl to secure another victim. Morinth isn't that picky, she's equal opportunity gender-wise when hunting for new toys. It's the domination and control she gets off on, not the sex itself.

Now if they said Nef left a boyfriend presented as "perfect" for her or something, I could understand your point. Without that, I just see how the kid was an easy target for this particular serial killer.

Edit: I do agree about why Mordin works well. His main issue comes from a morally questionable, but potentially necessary forced sterilization on an entire species. What really makes it work is that it is applied to the krogan: a race that does present a very real threat, especially if they return to their ridiculous birth rates, but remains just barely sympathetic enough to make you question the necessity of situation.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 6, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sorry to interrupt, but apparently Casey Hudson has just left Bioware.

http://blog.bioware.com/2014/08/07/casey-hudsons-departure-from-biowareea/

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Going back to the size discussion, I agree that a large hub can make a setting more impressive, but only if it meets two criteria:

1) It must be thoughtfully constructed to present a realistic feel.

2) It must offer the player incentive to explore it.

ME1's hubs didn't do either very well. They were large, but mostly empty and staffed with a handful of static NPCs that mimed mulling about. The planets were worse than that since there was absolutely nothing to do between driving to the pre-fab or collectables. More to the point, Shepard and his/her crew were severely limited in movement. As such, there was no real reason to explore as all you could do was saunter over to some piece of scenery and stare at it unless a button prompt appeared. The Mako was better at interacting with the environment, but we all remember trying to get around the endless mountains to do one sidequest mission.

As much as ME2's hubs were cramped, I'd call them some improvement if only because you didn't have to deal with ME1 style filler to get where you needed to go.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CPFortest posted:

There is no cultural or historical meaning to the oldest primary character in the series having an African accent.

Nope, none at all.

Addendum, the oldest character from the oldest civilization. People have a nasty habit of forgetting that Africa isn't one big stereotype and was the seat of many advanced empires. Especially in sci-fi that already tends to boil entire species into single themes based on human stereotypes.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I mentioned earlier that I didn't think the fundamental concept for the Crucible is unworkable, but the execution is awful.

The idea is flung at the player at the start of the game, apropos of nothing, where it's been sat in a Prothean archive on Mars for 200 years. Mars. The planet next to Earth. Which Javik claims the Protheans abandoned as soon as the Reapers invaded, yet which houses the only known blueprints for their doomsday device but apparently makes no mention of the Reaper invasion itself. It then sits in the background with Hackett giving nonsensical updates ("we don't know how it works, but we know it's super big") while Shepard goes off to solve a bunch of 1000-year-old problems that don't actually need fixing right now and which ultimately have no bearing on the material outcome of the game. I'm avoiding spoiling any of the ending or the significant plot points for any of the six people on the internet who haven't yet seen it, but suffice it to say that none of this is ever paid off and that the Crucible will be less well explained by the end than it is already.

The idea would have worked a lot better if it had been something directly revealed to the player, either by Javik or by ShepVision, where you then have to go off and find the missing pieces of this superweapon while Hackett gets on the vidcom to passive-aggressively complain that you're not at the front shooting wildly at all these cuttlefish. That's effectively the structure of the first two games, and does a lot better at not making the player feel like they're just a passenger while the story happens around them. Now, I'd then want the final level to be where you have to actually get on board Harbinger to trigger the weapon and blah blah blah Independence Day blah blah blah armchair game design, but you could at least then have achieved everything discussed in the video and still had a proper payoff at the end.

That's another big reason I hate the Crucible: it was just a complete waste of potential. Instead of being developed into a real plot, it was just pasted in to be the writer's little backdoor because they couldn't come up with an actual way to end things.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 10, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Covok posted:

If I remember correctly, I think he says his main motivation for changing viewpoints, if you agreed the genophage was right, was his old age. Like, as he was getting older and closer to death, he was having more and more trouble feeling comfortable with what he did. Perhaps he didn't want to be remembered as the one who helped kill an entire species?

I agree. He's near the end of his life (late 30's in a species that rarely makes it to 40) and re-evaluating a lot of things. Updating the genophage was his one big regret in life, despite how often he re-assured himself that it was necessary. Traveling with Shepard and gaining new perspective on the krogan through Eve and Wrex (as well as the knowledge that the Reapers will almost certainly never allow another chance) inspired him to undo it with what little time he has left.

There are a lot of things I can say this series' story got wrong, but Mordin's arc was always done right.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Promontory posted:

People are citing a lot of story information from the DLCs. Having not played any I have no idea what happens in them. If I had gotten the third game, I probably would not have gotten DLCs for it either and would have been even more confused. I'm starting to wonder if the story's problems result more from marketing/business decisions than from the writing team.

They certainly were at fault, but the writing staff screwed up plenty on their own. There's a good amount of blame to go around.

2house2fly posted:

The OP for that DA2 LP also didn't let people choose between quest resolutions and stuff, because he had already completed the game before starting the thread. It's a very good showcase of some of the shocking dialogue, at least.

Without having played it, DA2 seems like kind of a bold experiment- a game where you're a gently caress up, and your whole party is gently caress ups, and instead of saving the world from great evil you just gently caress everything up. I wonder how much that has to do with people hating it compared to the reused cave area and lines like "I like big boats, I cannot lie"

It may have been, but it wasn't written nearly well enough to pull that off. Especially since they had to constantly contrive ways for every situation to always end in the worst manner possible, usually through convenient psychopaths suddenly killing anyone at all sympathetic or effective while Hawke lets it happen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

The Mass Effect setting was the first Sci-fi setting I really experienced and got invested in. I never really got into Star Wars or Star Trek as much as I did with Mass Effect.

My one big hope for the upcoming Mass Effect games (aside from removing themselves from everything remotely related to this game's crappy ending) is that they drop the galaxy threatening menace angle and just work on letting the player experience the setting more. When you go to all the trouble to create a complex setting with varied races and issues, it's better to let people see what's going on instead of rushing straight into the old "save the world" plot.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Iamblikhos posted:

I wonder if that was the point: to make people hate him so much that his death would make it worth it.

Nah, that's way too clever for BioWare.

It's obvious he was supposed to be hated. The problem was that he was so poorly written that everyone hates him for different reasons Thant the writers intended.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

I'll sidestep this debate with some remarks I have about the points you've brought up:

Mechanically, the lack in variation on Reaper forces could probably be boiled down to lack of development time. Give a simple search and you'll be able to find a number of enemy designs for Reaper forces that could have made it into the game. Husk-ified walking volus bombs, quarians with drone weapons, elcor tanks with volus operating the turrets, even a drat (Terran) dinosaur. These could have presented a number of interesting combat options and given the Reaper forces some variety, but there simply wasn't enough time design, test, and finalize everything for the release date. An issue, however, comes in an enemy that was present in 2, and was eventually added to the Multiplayer and as an option in Citadel's Armax Arsenal Arena: The Collectors. In spite of destroying their base, they were still both around and proven enemies and had/could have gotten additional decent combat options. They too could have been axed simply due to lack of development time, but I feel that they should have been prioritized as an option for the base game.

Story-wise I will agree to some points on the games being less about the Reapers themselves and more about Shepard and the Galaxy. A problem that comes when trying to portray the Reapers in a standard warfare sense is one I've seen people make about "statting Cthulhu" or the Lord British Postulate, whatever you want to call it. If you really give Dread Cthulhu stats beyond "devours 1d6 Investigators per round" the threat it poses becomes minimized; if you stat it, people will find a way to kill it. Look up the tale of Old Man Henderson if you want to see what lengths people can go to to accomplish such feats. I'd wager this was something on the design team's mind when setting up both mechanics and story, so Shepard, the player, was kept away from the Reapers (at least, the bigger, kilometer-sized ones) for as long as possible. I'd say it's not a successful attempt in the end due to the Reapers still getting nerfed/marginalized in different ways, and due to marketing. Way, way too often was "take Earth back from the Reapers" and "Destroy the threat to the galaxy" and even just "poo poo poo poo poo poo THE REAPERS ARE HERE WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE SAVE US SHEPARD" was emphasized over, well "Save/unite the Galaxy!"

...all right this seems a tad too serious.
Something something Harbinger joke, something something Let's Play's Genetic Destiny, cycles. There.

I agree. One of many problems about this game's premise is that it can't seem to decide if it wants to be about a war against a powerful, but not unstoppable, threat or the galaxy being devoured by eldritch monsters from beyond the veil. It seems to try to do both, and fails to use either properly because of it. The Reapers are crushingly powerful, but they fight like idiots and ignore major advantages like the Citadel relay control (the center of ME1's endgame that is somehow just forgotten) as if they're doing everything in their power to increase everyone's chances. The forces of the galaxy are rallying and gaining important victories off and on-screen, but the characters keep saying it's all pointless for reasons. Everyone's firmly convinced that their only hope is a device without any known function let alone any idea how to properly utilize it instead of any of the other potential technologies that could aid them (again, Citadel Relay Control). Said device has all the earmarks of the Reapers' many traps, but that's all just handwaved away because Liara trusts it a lot for some reason. Shepard had to kill 300,000 people just to delay the Reapers, but all that amounted to was a six month stint and a terrible speech. All this while Cerberus runs around hilariously evil and suddenly powerful enough to match everyone because their technology is (apparently) just that good whenever the writers need somebody for Shepard to shoot besides husks.

It's just so indecisive that it comes off as the writers just not knowing what to do from here in the narrative (which is absolutely what happened).

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

To be fair to the writers, I don't think "The Reapers are the Anti-Spirals" would have changed much in terms of the negative reaction to the Reaper's motivations. I think Bioware kind of wrote themselves into a corner in the Sovereign conversation where he pretty much tells you that the Reaper's reasons are so complex that the human mind can't begin to comprehend them. It certainly made for an incredible narrative hook (who doesn't love the Sovereign conversation?) but it hypes the poo poo out of the Reapers because any motivation that you can understand just ends up falling flat. "Mass effect energy is destroying the universe so stop it you dicks", as well as the motivation actually used in ME3, are both perfectly logical and easy to understand.

I'd almost argue the answer is to not reveal their motivations at all. Complete their picture as a force of nature by making them this unstoppable alien hoard that wants to harvest all life for reasons you can't even begin to fathom, that cannot be understood or reasoned with. And hell, this is what the Reapers were up until the very last minute, which might be some of the reasoning behind why the ending is so reviled.

Frankly, I think that the Reapers' motives should have stayed at "reproduction". It works just fine and the sheer baseness of it all makes it seem more horrifying: these space cuttlefish aren't killing us all out of malice or for any grand purpose, they really just see us as a crop to be harvested every so often. Knowing their arrogance, they'd probably consider melting millions of fleshies into Reaper goo to be doing them a favor by "elevating" them to their level.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 22, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

BioMe posted:

I actually figured Sovereign was bullshitting you all along. The conversation reads like an attempt at psychological warfare, and if Reapers are as god-like as they say, then why would they bother trying to intimidate you?

I thought it was Sovereign being annoyed that three meatsacks were bothering it by calling the line it set aside to communicate with its intended puppet, Saren. It answered Shepard's questions (sort of), but made it clear that it honestly does not care what s/he says in response because it considers all organics beneath it. The Reapers are nothing if not arrogant.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Teledahn posted:

I don't understand how anyone could like this game.

As vocal as I am about this game's many plot holes and pretentious pseudo-artistic scenes, the gameplay is the best in the series and the story is better than many other videogames on the market (low bar, but still). It's hardly a crime to like it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ungulateman posted:

So, uh, this LP sold me on buying the ME series again (properly this time). Just completed ME1 again.

After playing through its ending again, I find it hard to believe anyone can defend the Green ending of ME3. Who looks at End-Boss Robo-Saren and thinks "Well, clearly if this was Shepard instead all the problems would be solved and this would be a satisfying ending to the series!"?

When the series' first and most obvious reference to it is so easy to revile, who can blame people for assuming Synthesis was 'wrong' or 'bad'? Even speaking from a thematic, subtextual standpoint, Saren encapsulates everything wrong with the Reapers - how does a critic reconcile this ugly, horrendously flawed view of synthesis with what Mass Effect 3 promises us under the same name?

Not to get ahead of myself here, though. This LP's barely begun, and my re-journeying through the Mass Effect series has hardly started too. There's plenty more to enjoy.

(Keep up the good work!)

Answer: Videogame reviewers are a complete joke. Not only are they unqualified and easily swayed by gimmicks and "deep" imagery, but they are under heavy pressure to provide good reviews for big name developers/series (handily explaining why Final Fantasy keeps getting good scores).

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 23, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I can't even recall who the gently caress Wilks is, that's how little he matters to the story. He is just a replacement for Moridin if he already died in ME2. If he actually mattered at all he'd still be around even with Moridin in the picture.

Wreav at least gets eaten and your characters comment on it. Wrex even calls him an rear end in a top hat after it happens.

Same here. Wiks is a good guy and all, but he barely has any characterization beyond being replacement Mordin. He's just a stand-in for the guy who actually earned all the pathos.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

ME1 is perfectly playable and enjoyable and fantastic without any qualifier or reservation if you use .ini editing to make Shep sprint at Mach 2 outside of combat. Makes the game a nice managable 15-20 hours or so even with all the dialogue and cuts out the Mako since you run ten times faster than its top driving speed with more control to boot, meaning you cut traverse times while getting more XP in the open world segments so you get that sweet Rich achievement and its Spectre gear that much sooner.

The combat would still blow. Especially after every other enemy unlocks Immunity and refuses to die unless you hose them for several seconds after they fall down.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I always saw the genophage as a krogan preservation project, really. If you can deploy a sterility plague throughout an entire species you could presumably deploy a killer plague just as easily. Or just carpet bomb their homeworld with those 20-kiloton cannonballs. I'm sure I remember Mordin saying something along those lines in ME2 but last time I played I didn't see it so maybe I misremembered something.

That's exactly what Mordin said it was. The other races could probably completely drive the krogan to extinction if they were to start another war, so the salarians introduced the carefully controlled genophage to keep their numbers at a reasonable level. It'd have been much easier to make a version of the genophage that causes complete sterility than one that allows for pre-industrial population growth.

The problem was that the krogan culture, which was still recovering from massive nuclear war at the time of their discovery, wasn't able to catch up since everyone was in such a hurry to turn them against the rachni. Having a fundamental part of their biology destroyed by their "allies" only made things worse, leading to them falling into the rut of endless in-fighting tribes they were by the point of this game. It might seem a little over-the-top, but this all did happen within two or three generations of krogans, partially explaining why they can't seem to move on.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Aces High posted:

oh Bioware, what would we do without you

Given what I heard of Conrad's Paragon scene in ME2, they did us a favor. Would you rather see a crazy fan politely ask for help with a charity or said crazy fan delusionally try to mimic Shepard?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Pureblood Asari and the children of purebloods have a chance to become Ardat yakshi which are sterile as they kill their mates rather than pulling DNA from them. We're not told when Ardat Yakshi started showing up but it might have been sort of like an inbreeding thing, they just happened to get space flight before it would have reached a critical mass of death succubi.

Given that most Asari seem to regard them as legends that shouldn't actually exist, I'm guessing they always existed in some form.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I don't think it's in any way implicit that Joker flies the Normandy into a live-fire zone, parks it in front of Harbinger for several minutes while everyone bellyaches, and then all the NPCs up and fly away from the one and only battle to save the galaxy for no real reason. On the basis that this entire sequence of events makes no pissing sense whatsoever. It's the retconniest of retcons but is added purely so you have a narrative basis for things that happen in the original ending and appear to have just been pulled from a hat. Really, for a AAA-title, this is shockingly bad. Not "could have been improved" bad, but "should never have been released in this state" bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy to wait for you to actually discuss the ending before I start making GBS threads on it in earnest. And I won't say that the ending couldn't have been done correctly in principle. You do have to point out, though, the comments Casey Hudson made before the game was released about what he wanted to do with the ending before you say that all the hype was fan-made. And yes, I have played through several games released by Peter Molyneux's Haus Of Grandiose Lies, but at least then you got the impression that he aimed for the unrealistic and then made a variety of games with fart and poop mechanics. I don't think that if Bioware had the choice over again that this is the ending they would have made. It's not a swing and a miss, it's just a pure bodge-job.

I'm just waiting for the real ending chat to begin. Blasting that to pieces is kind of cathartic after a stressful day. There are just so many layers of badness to consider with it.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 15, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

grimlock_master posted:

Don't forget that the geth have a buttload of dreadnaughts. A literal buttload. And the quarians' ships, while old, have been mantained by the galaxy's local tech experts. They look like poo poo but they work just fine. And the migrant fleet is ALSO a buttload of ships, which would prove crucial in mantaining suply lines and scouting efforts. An amicable solution to the crisis would bring a sizable force to Shepard's fleet.

Less than a fifth of the geth fleet was enough to hold off the entire Citadel defense force before Sovereign came in to steamroll them and the quarians haven't managed to keep the largest organic-owned fleet in the galaxy functional for centuries without expert technicians and a lot of big guns. If it weren't for the quarians deciding that doomsday was the best time to make their big play for Rannoch, both sides would have been willing to add their much needed fire and manpower to the effort.

Unfortunately, since Bioware would be damned if they didn't shoehorn in every single plot point for this game, the quarians decided to be belligerent idiots and make their big play right as doomsday came.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

All five of the Quarian Admirality Board are just hanging out squabbling and making decisions in the war room on the Normandy, with no escort or any form of military protection (because coding a whole actual new room to do this in, like in ME2, would take time and effort).

I'm not seriously suggesting that there should be an option to kill them all, dress Liara up as Admiral Xan and hijack Quarian politics for yourself, but you'd think someone on the Normandy would at least take action to prevent someone ordering their fleet to fire on the commander of the ship they're currently flying on. The admirals really are just there as sock puppets, to put across four one-dimensional views and nothing more. As background characters in ME2, that's fine. As a key plot driver in ME3, they're just clownish.

Since when have any government officials in this series who aren't promoted military types been shown as people with more than one dimension? The series, like many similar ones with military focus, has a hard time giving proper value to people who aren't either fighting or supporting those who do fight. Anybody else comes off as either a helpless victim, naive fool, or impediment. The admirals happened to end up on "impediment" so we could be forced to "finish" the quarian/geth conflict (with quarians coming off as worse because the writers weren't sure that we'd support the geth without more hamfisted nonsense). It's lazy writing with unfortunate semi-fascist overtones, but that's the genre convention.

The whole thing could have been redeemed if they'd just given the quarians some actual reason to attack now or had it start with some attempt at negotiation subverted by Reaper indoctrination or viruses. Anything to make the war seem like an act of desperation rather than selfish stupidity.

• Locked thread