Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Very few grand scale sci-fi stories end satisfyingly, and those that do tend to be celebrated as masterworks of the genre. David Brin's Uplift saga springs to mind. Dan Simmons' Hyperion novels have a great and touching ending. Then there's Dune, and all the books that shouldn't have been written after the first one.

My point is that the story that the Mass Effect series tells is above and beyond most stories in the medium. Even if the ending was a bit lackluster, it's still rubbing shoulders in a genre that very few even attempt. For me, the actual ending of the series is the Citadel DLC, where you kick back with your space friends, drink a lot of space booze, and talk about that time you saved the space galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

This is canon.

Good. gently caress them.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Promontory posted:

I haven't played the third game, but I think the problem with that scene is the developers assuming too much about your character. After two games most players probably had a pretty solid idea of what 'their' Shepard was like. Not all of them would care about some kid beyond 'well that sucks'. The kid's probably supposed to be a symbol of everyone on Earth, but I think it falls flat - there's no real emotional connection to Earth in Mass Effect games, since you're always off interacting with everything else in the galaxy.

Yeah this is the problem. You can't spend two games establishing Shepard as either James T. Kirk or Jean-Luc Picard, and then have them freak out by some random kid dying. Neither would lose sleep over that. The whole thing just undermines the character in a really dumb way. If you're going to go with a super awesome space hero, then just run with it. Don't tell me 40 hours into the story, that they're actually really soft and vulnerable inside when it comes to kids.

• Locked thread