Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's nice to see an LP of this game. I had a great time with the series, but I've became numb to the trilogy after getting into the discussions here and on the Bioware forums and coming across people who not only hated the things/characters/decisions/etc I like but made me feel bad for liking them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Oh definitely, and Alliance squads would probably be too busy defending human colonies, the asari have turned isolationist, the Blue Suns are horrible mercenaries... Victus is fully aware its an unconventional gambit, and everyone describes him as a maverick who plays fast and loose with strategy, but it's always struck me as quite a transparent hard left-turn into Kroganville.

That and the Blue Suns are going to be working for Aira later on.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like I know where you are going with this whole overarching theme or whatever and what kind of story Bioware was trying to tell in ME3. But if I''m right then I strongly disagree with both you and Bioware and found the story and ending to this game kind of offensive and lovely. It just turns me off from the entire trilogy and just makes me say "gently caress this game."

edit:

But this is just if this whole thing is about Green is my favorite color and if you understood the story they were trying to tell in ME3 it'd be your favorite color too. If you like Blue or (god forbid) Red then you weren't paying attention. You have terrible taste and you messed everything up for everyone in the galaxy forever.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 5, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

But what if I REALLY hate the Catalyst and its Reaper abominations (like with the intensity of a thousand suns), don't buy that they are misguided saviors but really horrible monsters, want nothing more to send them back to hell that vomited them out, and think it's dead wrong and Shepard's civilization can learn from this disaster and build a future that won't end like the Catalyst thinks it will end like?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Neruz posted:

Then you're wrong. The Leviathan outright state to Shepard that the Reapers are misguided saviors and explain why they built the Reaper AI in the first place, you can argue that they are lying but there is no indication anywhere in the story that they are telling you anything but the truth.

You can hate the Reapers all you want, but they are actually trying to save everyone from themselves.

However what the Reapers are is unimportant anyway; like I said the Green ending solves the problem that created the Reapers in the first place. Defeating the Reapers is just a short-term solution and does not solve the overarching problem that without a Shepard all life is doomed to repeat the creator\created cycle indefinitely.

I guess this is why I stopped liking Mass Effect. I don't like the Catalyst and the Reapers, I really think they are wrong and abominations and Synthesis, the preferred solution, is wrong too. It's like Shepard can say, "I can't make that choice. I won't." Destroy is the only ending I prefer and will only choose out of the four given the game and players are telling me "nope you made the wrong choice." It just turns me off from engaging with the game and the community. I really believe destroy is the right way to end this and that Shepard's civilization can break the creator/created cycle like it did with the Catalyst's harvest cycle.

To sum up: I didn't like the story Bioware was trying to tell in the Mass Effect trilogy and disagreed with its message and it has turned me off from playing the games ever again.

edit:

I get a angry now when I see anything Mass Effect related or discussions on the ending or why the Catalyst is right because I did not like the story and disagreed with it that much. I don't want to get angry over videogames. I play them to have fun. And I after two years I cannot have fun playing the Mass Effect trilogy. Maybe the new one will be different and I may like it if they get as far away from the trilogy as they can.

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 14, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So much for choice if there is an objectively "right way" that makes everything better and perfect no matter what you did in the trilogy.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Whatever, now I'm just venting at this point. I just really did not like or agree with the story Bioware apparently wanted to tell in Mass Effect 3 and trying to talk about it or view discussion on it just makes me angry. I'll stop.

I had fun with multiplayer, thought.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

This is not your normal LP thread.

You should have seen the Dragon Age 2 LP thread

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm sure someone else can explain it in more detail but off the top of my head:

- Screen shot LP where the pictures were too big and broke tablets. The OP didn't fix it because he was lazy he was putting as much effort into the LP as Bioware did for DA2

- Low effort LP and complete making GBS threads of Dragon Age 2 and all things Bioware by everyone and encouraged by the OP

- Thread got gassed when OP made a "contest" which involved buying him steam games

- OP made his own webiste and finished the LP here

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 14, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The Mass Effect setting was the first Sci-fi setting I really experienced and got invested in. I never really got into Star Wars or Star Trek as much as I did with Mass Effect.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Covok posted:

I really don't want to see the Mass Effect equivalent of the Sun Crusher.

Is that an actual thing in Star Wars?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

This was the first video I really watched and I don't think I'm going to watch any more. I can't articulate why but I felt offended(?) with a lot of what you said and I strongly disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Neruz posted:

Oh yeah I know the actual in-game reasons that determine whether characters live or die in the final sequence are stupid but on the other hand there is no logical reason why Shepard wouldn't send Legion into the ducts; he is objectively the best choice from an in-character perspective.

Because Legion is a sniper bot who feels no pain, only kickback from its anti-material rifle and Shepard might want Legion watching his back as he and another guy run to the door with a lot of Collectors shooting at them?

But have you considered Thane? He's pretty good at moving through vents too :shepface:

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 18, 2014

• Locked thread