Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I didn't mind Aria's little song and dance at the start of ME2, and ultimately came to like her more in hindsight. She's incredibly cooperative with Shepard in both games, only ever actually putting her foot down in her own DLC. Otherwise, she gives you everything you want from her for nothing or next to nothing, and politely asks that you you don't screw her over in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

So Samara breaks when the Old Ways restrain her too tightly*. Eve found the Old Ways a source of inspiration and purpose. So does Wreav, actually, albeit in a different manner and direction. All the krogan seem to want to relive the glory days, and just differ on which ones. Javik won't shut up about how things were in his cycle, or stop rubbing it in Liara's face, Cortez wouldn't let go of the man he lost, so on and so forth. Is it me, or is everyone modeling their presents and futures on how wonderful things were in the past? Or comparing them, almost always finding the present lacking? Like they already know the answers to all their problems, they just have to follow the Code or win the unwinnable fight or resurrect some dinosaurs for the krogan to ride.

And of course, the Crucible. But that's a bit different, isn't it? The krogan know they'll be heroes for stopping the Reapers, just like they were with the Rachni. The Code has told Samara how to act and react for longer than we can imagine, and she likely knows most of the consequences of those actions and reactions already. Nobody knows what the Crucible's going to do. We have no past experience to go on, no post-Crucible glory days to remember or relive.

Which is cool, since all of our past experience ultimately has the "and then the Reapers show up" part. Something new might shake that off.

*Amusingly, in the Citadel DLC if Samara is alive and Shepard is single, Shepard can convince her to forget the Code and have sex with him. How's that for a transformative protagonist?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

While playing the game, I was never really convinced of the importance of stopping any cycle except the one the Reapers made. Chronos and Zeus always having problems looked far more acceptable than the slow, cruel galactic multi-genocide the Reapers thought would fix everything. Red was the color that actually fixed the only problem I cared about, because I already fixed all the other problems I cared about. The "but what about THE CYCLE" argument falls pretty flat when the one (we're meant to read as) making it is running a robot zombie apocalypse.

• Locked thread