Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
When Lt. D talked about Jack being a good character, he sold me on the fact, even though I didn't really enjoy her much in ME2. Seeing the change in ME3 made me appreciate the way Bioware took her character now. Then, seeing some of the things people wrote as reasons to why they disliked her made me gag significantly. The way people were treating this fictional person was with all of the horrible "I tried being nice to her and she wouldn't turn into my submissive waifu" which made me think about how too many people put their ideas of how the world should work (horribly) into the game, and now I can see why some people would dislike ME3 on a level of "my waifus weren't submissive enough and I couldn't screw all of them at once, 0/10." These are the creepy, self obsessed jerks and they are inherently wrong, but now I can see where some of the hate comes from.

I even agreed with him, partially, on the "Grunt is not your friend" rant. It was a *good* way to end his story. He gets to be a big drat hero and throw himself off the edge of a cliff saving, in essence, his superior officer. The way a good "grunt" should. While I would not play this way, I can see this being a genuinely fun story/novel/whatever to read. People die but they die for reasons that make the story that much more engaging. I think Lt. D was trying to show why he does these things, and why they are just as good as the "perfect everyone lives" story that some people think is the only way to play.

The problem I have with it is that halfway through it sounded openly like he was attacking me specifically, just because I do my best to be the "hero" type Shepherd and save everyone. I'm not the best writer; hell, when I do write, most of the time I have to force myself to create conflict because I could just write for pages about people sitting around drinking and talking about how their jobs are doing, and not one of them is doing poorly in said jobs. I am a strange person who actually dislikes a lot of conflict. Saving the world is fun, but I will always try to do it with the least amount of deaths or casualties. Am I wrong? I don't necessarily think so, but then again I am playing the game for game play and min-maxing at that point, rather than story.

So I can see both sides. I understand that for a good story to work, things have to happen and characters should die and it's annoying as poo poo when a character dies and all of the fan-girls around me scream about how their OTP is ruined now and that if the author actually cared about their readers they would bring him/her back to life this instant...

But on the other side, some people enjoy having fun with their characters. Some people feel a connection, and enjoy hearing what the NPC'll respond with when they press 1, 2 or 3. Neither way is wrong, I think. It's just the way people respond to things.

So I'm taking the least conflict route. Can we agree that it's cool that characters die without getting attached to them too much, and also agree that maybe we can have fun enjoying the characters that Bioware made specifically for us to enjoy and become attached to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah honestly I would imagine it would be a lot more simple just to go "Hey Geth dudes let's all work together to pretend you're not as smart as you really are, and we'll just not let the Citadel find out."

That might make for an interesting story in another location, come to think of it; a land of the AIs and their creators, living side by side in a symbiotic relationship. They treat each other with respect and kindness, but in the fear that other people might discover this, they go out of their way to push everyone else out of their home so that no one discovers their "horrible secret".

By the end, perhaps the creators begin to stagnate and perhaps go extinct, and the AIs try to live in their memory. Eventually their AI becomes sentient enough to create a culture very similar to their creators, and might even revere their creators as gods. Other aliens find this planet and the AIs have since forgotten how they came to be and assume that their godly creators just had them evolve as robots rather than as organics.

Definitely not as fun or easy to work with in the scope of this game, but it would be interesting to see nevertheless, if it could be done well.

• Locked thread