Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Oh cool, you're doing another LP. I really liked your neverwinter ones. These sort of analytical LP aren't very common but I like them a lot. Plus, I quite like Mass Effect 3 (aside from the ending and a few other choices like how the quarian/geth conflict is represented) So i'll be interested to see what you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Never played this game, so far enjoying this lp. I was surprised at how critical you were in the video given that in the opening of the thread you didn't want the thread to turn into a ME3-bashing thread. Uhhhh... when are you going to get to the part where you start talking about how the haters are wrong?

Never played any of the series, actually. Don't own a console, and computer not good enough.

Well, to be fair, this is just the opening tutorial in a pretty big game, so it's hardly far-reaching criticism.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 21, 2014

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

My dirtiest videogame secret is that I really liked Jack as a character.

I think they did her romance with a somewhat surprising amount of subtlety and care. It's not just 'listen to her problems, give advice then bone her'.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

double nine posted:

The problems with ME3 stem more from its predecessor and the infernal timescale EA forces on its studios than anything else. It inherited from mass effect 2 the problem that people expected a lot of their decisions to have an impact on the story which was impossible given the budget and timescale, and that ME 2 refused to set up the scenario for reapers returning - it should have been about shephard searching for a reaper-killing tool, not about this suddenly-appearing villain race that has no overall impact on the reaper conflict.

I personally liked ME2 the best because it had very little to do with the main reaper plot which is, let's face it, pretty generic and not especially interesting. The Dirty Dozen in Space was more engaging and played more to Bioware's strengths IMO.

It's also a real shame DA2 was so rushed and ended up having so many issues because I really liked the idea of an RPG set in a single city and its environs that wasn't about saving the world but instead political and personal issues. Aside from Bloodlines, which is a very different type of RPG, I can't think of any RPG that has done something like that. It's a shame because I think taking away the automatic high stakes that averting the apocalypse stories automatically have forces the writers to put more effort into the characters and world so that the player understands their problems and cares about them as opposed to just understanding that the world blowing up is bad.

• Locked thread