Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mr. Soop posted:

Given the morality system that came about in ME2, I was really surprised that Bioware DIDN'T implement something like this. Depending on the ending of ME2 after all you could either diss and leave the Illusive Man entirely with the Paragon Shep, or have a begrudging respect for him with Renegade Shep. Star Ocean 2 for instance has an affection system that dictates which of 80+ different ending cutscene bits you'd get to see depending on how you interacted with characters. While those 80+ bits are just different variations of characters and dialogue, it's neat that they put so much effort into that. And given that Star Ocean 2 was released in 1998, it's not exactly a new concept by any means. Heck, Shadow The Hedgehog did it if you want a less obscure and more recent example.

I'm not saying that ME3 needed 80 different scenarios or endings going into the game, but being forced to fight for the Alliance because plot when your Shep could have been in bed with Cerberus at the end of ME2 when that the series was built upon the whole idea of freedom of choice with storytelling, it irks me.

I dunno though, I think that just in general Bioware wrote themselves into a corner and had to do the best with what they had given their time constraints.

The big problem with making a big split path choice like that is that it's a LOT of development money thrown into a gimmick that most people won't see as the average user will beat the game once, if that. I think the only games that have split the game like that that come to mind for me would be the withcher 2, and fate of atlantis. Alpha Protocol gets a side mention for reacting to lots of small scale choices, but the game was tiny to compensate for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I was just under the impression that shepard saying "look at how bad it is here, double that for earth" was merely to point out to mr Turian that they're getting hosed over by a fraction of the reapers power and the only way to survive is to get everyone onboard operation build-a-giant-superweapon-because-ohgod-we're-dead. I feel that the new Primarch responding by demanding even more races get in on this helps support that view.

I never really got an earth first vibe from the game, it just seemed to be the big battleground. Maybe I'm just clueless :shrug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Since Bioware Romance(tm) got brought up in video and is tangentially related:

What's up with every last character of the opposite gender demanding romance as a be all end all? As a person that wants to get to know the character is a horrible completionist bastard that wants their side quests, it's kind of annoying that responding in any way to a character of the opposite sex other than spitting in their face and kicking puppies will lead to the game deciding you're in a romance. It can get a bit silly when half the cast is getting upset at the main character for hitting on someone else when you've only picked options showing basic human empathy.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Neruz posted:

I feel I need to point out that added into this whole mess your subconscious can't tell the difference between a simulation and reality. Give someone a fake virtual reward that does absolutely nothing (like say an achievement, or a hat) and exactly the same parts of the brain light up as if you had given them a real physical reward; its all the same to your brain.

Think about that for awhile, then think about video games and how they depict women, then think about the fact that despite your rational acknowledgement that what you are seeing on the screen is a fiction the same parts of your brain are lighting up as if it were real.

Yeah that's right, at a very basic level your instincts can't tell the difference between Miranda and a real human woman. Think about what that actually means for a second.

Scary huh?

You know that would be scary...
if I handled a real twit any differently than I do an imaginary one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

You can wax poetic on how mass effect 3 is really about interpersonal relationships (or whatever) but the game was sold on a galaxy at war and it didn't really resolve that in a way that fit with the rest of the text.

I wouldn't take how something as marketed into consideration when analyzing it, as marketing divisions have one singular goal: sell the product. They're kind of notorious for telling just enough of the truth to fit within the law while distorting the truth to sell as muc product as possible.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Saren's boss fight from ME may not have been great, but at least it was frenetic and encouraged constant use of the shooting, squad command and power use skills the player mastered throughout the game. The ME2 boss fight pretty much jettisons every combat innovation that made ME2's fights better than ME, except for the need to always be in cover which makes the fight worse, not better.

The only reason the Saren fight wasn't the worst part of the game was because the sidequesting was even more horrible. He was literally just a giant mound of shields and hp that took forever to kill and posed no threat to you if you merely ran in circles. He's just kinda boring.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

Well, that's the whole point of the thread, isn't it? To resell everyone on the game.

If it helps towards that goal, this is a reminder that ME3 is one of the few games that lets you turn invisible, run up to an unsuspecting mook, and then blow his brains out with a shotgun. Lt. Danger mentioned the whole weapon weight/cooldown thing earlier, but I don't think he really captured just how many fun options that opened up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

Well yes, but that trailer seems to emphasise the moral dilemma. I feel it's more about the personal aspects of choices than the morality or physical effects of those choices. In that sense, the ME series' Paragon/Renegade system is perhaps the best example of this kind of "who do you want to be?" philosophy in BioWare's games, encouraging players to shape Shepard's character as they see fit and be less concerned about traditional good vs. evil roleplaying or good vs. bad results.

idk, renegade shep sure seems to love their cold, merciless executions of people that are unarmed and have surrendered. I mean, most of them aren't nice people, but still.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Has anyone actually said that they think Mordin's progression is unnatural? The closest I've heard to that is that Lt. Danger's preference for Mordin as a character before that shift.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Neruz posted:

Oh drat TIM's new lieutenant being a reanimated huskified Virmire Casualty could have been a really good storyline.

If you were willing to write off having nuked them, then yes. It'd kind of be pushing it to say that the geth killed them all and stole the bodies that fast though.

VVVVVVVVVVV
fair enough to that.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 13, 2014

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Neruz posted:

She just wasn't motivated enough and also I will never understand why anyone other than Legion is ever sent into the vents.

Just think about it for a moment; we need to send a tech savvy person through coolant pipes (or whatever the gently caress the pipes were) which we know will be an extremely toxic environment. We can send a machine that is at precisely zero risk from said toxic environment, or literally anyone else.

Because sending legion to the vents means you don't get to fight alongside the killer robot :colbert:

Personally I hate killing people off because I'm a completionist prick that doesn't want to miss sidequests or fail/skip the required rolls to save them. Just about every person you can kill in mass effect requires either a failed persuasion or actively deciding to kill them. I think a lot of people view character deaths in mass effect a lot like fire emblem; I mean sure, you were never gonna use that guy anyway, but killing them means failing to bring them home and failing as a commander.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Mass Effect 3 - I wish you could see it like I do. It's so... perfect, but that's just my opinion

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm seeing a theme rapidly emerging here of people announcing what a group of other people thought and congratulating themselves for being smarter than those other people.

Thank god I'm not foolish enough to think this!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Soricidus posted:

OP: "You can talk about spoilers and stuff if you like but please don't just argue about the ending."
Thread: argues about ending.
OP: "OK, I gave you a chance and you blew it. No more spoilers please."
Thread: argues about ending.

Burn the LP forum.

hey the thread got another few pages in before devolving to ending chat again.

Burn the LP forum.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Romancing teammates involves leaving them alive. And that would detract from the list of all the people you purposely killed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Morroque posted:

I have to admit, given the route you were taking, I didn't think you would actually make the decision you did at the very end. It seemed like you were preparing to pull the rug out from under them, but then did not, for whatever reason.

He kind of did pull the rug in that he built that expectation in his viewers and then did the unthinkable. He had a NPC persuade the player character instead of the other way around.

Nihilarian posted:

I thought the idea behind failshep was to kill everyone?

To be fair, it's kind of included in the goal of massive fuckup that manages to screw everything up, but somehow still saves the day

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I always felt like the series never paints the political leaders too badly, and that a lot of the negativity is from the fact that as a character shepard hates them. It's just all the little things like in me1 the council demands evidence other than just shepard's word that their top agent had gone rogue and shepard throws a hissy fit. Or how at the start of me3 Anderson tells shepard to go convince everyone to fight together, a perfectly reasonable order, and shepards response isn't "but what about earth?" it's "But dad I don't wanna be a politician!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The asari had two character traits, being the conceited race that found reaper tech first, and being walking personifications of sex. While a redneck hick asari from bumfuck nowhere would have been a much more fun perversion of that image in my opinion, Morinth was pretty much cornered into being a sexual deviant of some sort. Would being super into S&M or what have you have really been any better?

In my opinion Morinth is a just a symptom of the shoddy design of the blue space babes rather than a huge issue in and of herself.

e: oh yeah, they're good at biotics too. That could have been another better quality to pervert into danger.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, he wasn't really important enough to put back in the story.

Harbinger taunts/angry not yelling instead of that painful noise the reapers make after you scan too much in exploration mode could have been fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FullLeatherJacket posted:

All of this should be seen in the context that there's literally a full mission in ME2 where you go onto a Geth ship and liberate the Geth from Reaper domination. This is ignored completely here... because that would make it slightly harder to do the plot point they want to do later. Which again speaks to the idea that Bioware clearly didn't have the idea while they were making ME2 that they'd end up here, showing an irrelevant war between two irrelevant factions at the edge of the galaxy and trying to pretend that Shepard is heavily emotionally invested in the outcome, despite the endgame strongly implying that whatever happens here is of no real consequence either way.

To be fair, I think they do address it briefly by having Shepard go, "What the hell guys, I already fixed this poo poo." The repetition of past mistakes kind of works with the premise that Shepard is really fighting the galaxy and the status quo rather than the reapers. I can't really hate on ME for having people make the same dumb mistakes over and over again either when you can just look at our history. NATO and the Warsaw pact happened within a lifetime of WWI after all.

• Locked thread