Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Morroque posted:

There's some animosity for Jacob too. He seemed nice enough that I didn't understand why at first
Reasons people dislike and/or make fun of Jabob:
- It's impossible to talk to Jacob with a female character in a normal tone of voice. If I recall right, they did record a neutral greeting for FemShep/Jacob, but for some weird reason it's not used until after the Suicide Mission.
- He's often viewed as the most boring and bland character out of the whole ME cast.
- If you for some unholy reason romance the guy, Jacob has one of the - if not the - silliest dialogue. The prize...
- Additionally if you romance him, you're in a fun suprize when you come across him in ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Samara Die. The reason Samara should die is because she has been living unwaveringly by a code for centuries. Sheppard is just a mayfly compared to her and a 30 second conversation is not going to convince someone so dedicated, fanatical, and rigid to change that. The human hero swiping away those arguments so easily with a grandiose, feel good speech seems "unrealistic" and downright condescending.

Samara's mission talk: Shep doesn't give a speech. If you take the interrupt to stop Samara, all Shep does is grab Samara and go "WTF?". The daughter is the one who convinces Samara that she doesn't have to kill herself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Xander77 posted:

The ME2 party members were also apparently supposed to have a bunch of confrontations that you'd only be able to defuse with enough magic persuasion points, but that Jack and Miranda's was the only one that made it into the finished game.
Tali and Legion also have a confrontation. Grunt and Mordin were at some point also supposed to have a confrontation about the Genophage, but it got cut. There's still some dialogue left of it in the files.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Mordin dies in every playthrough I have unless I send him back to the ship with the crew. It doesn't matter if I did everything for him he will always die after the Reaper fight. I'm certain he's bugged.
To expand on what Mazerunner already said: Here are the details about how the suicide mission works.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

And so many texture issues, my god. Garrus's face isn't the only texture stuck on minimum resolution. Having a 2012 GPU with VRAM far beyond what was available on the 360 doesn't help texture pop-in much, and yet so much of it is tiny anyway.
ME1 on the consoles was already a bit of a technical mess, but Demiurge Studios really did a lovely job on the PC port. Among the many performance problems, there's also a driver issue where the game can refuse to use higher quality textures.
If you're game looks like this and this, instead of this and this, you can try forcing the game to use less blurry textures by messing around with some .ini settings.

Also Garrus's face textures were bugged and permanently stuck in low lod mode at release. A dev posted on the old bioware forums that this couldn't be fixed because it would require a multi-gig patch. But then 1.02 did fix it, so... :shrug:

Morroque posted:

Is the in-game gaffing worse this time around? I mean, the lighting. It seems that on the whole, the lights and shadows are duller and flatter than they were in the second game, where things were brighter but also had more constrasting shadows.
<snip>
I'd call it a change in art direction, but I get the feeling it wasn't a change made deliberately.
Since the ME1 Normandy was rather dark as well, it seems the first thing the Alliance engineers did when they got their hands on the Normandy SR-2 was shake their heads at all the well lit rooms and start ripping out lamps.
Bad jokes aside, I think Bioware was trying to go for ME1's color scheme in ME3's Normandy with all the dark blue. Which following ME2's bright orange colours, would seem duller.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

Maybe it was a bit of lazy writing, not giving Liara two different responses
ME1 did that a lot: It let you pick between different dialogue options and then 2 out of 3, or all options played out the same way.
Heck, often Shep even says the exact same line no matter what option you picked and the only difference is a little paragon or renegade bonus depending on if you picked the top-left or top-right option.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I didn't touch multiplayer until I finished the game and I had 100% galactic readiness. I know they tried to fear you into doing that but it was a load of bullshit.
Without any DLC, the max War Asset score you can get with an optimal run through all three games is around 7500. If you didn't do any multiplayer, your EMS will be 50% of that, so 3750. That's enough to get you access to all endings, except for one tiny thing: The bit where Shep is shown alive after the Destroy ending requires 4000/5000 EMS.

The Extended Cut DLC lowered all the EMS requirements and the other DLCs added a decent amount of war assets. So yeah, doing multiplayer isn't required unless you're doing a failShep run of sorts and still want to get the "best" ending.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 27, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Neruz posted:

Actually as you find out, I think in ME3? Maybe ME2, the Quarians have a lot of things to be ashamed about including their attempted genocide of the Geth which caused the rebellion in the first place.
The Quarians being the first to attack was already a thing back in ME1.
Then again, it seems everyone in the ME universe tends towards being an rear end in a top hat towards AIs (Citadel DLC scene)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Neruz posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced that it isn't in fact a piece of placeholder art that was forgotten about, thus never received a replacement and nobody noticed until it was too late.
If it was just a piece of internal filler art that wasn't supposed to be a in the release version of the game, would they have put Getty Images - the source of the stock photo - in the credits?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm not sure where 'floating junkyard' comes from.
The migrant fleet was previously described as consisting of 300+ year old ship from before Quarian-Geth war, cheap ships the Quarians have managed to purchase and salvaged ships. All kept running with constant repairs and with scrap & second hand replacement parts.
Not really "Powerful armada" material. ME3 handwaves it with the Quarians going "We've strapped guns on everything!".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Until ME3 I don't think the Migrant Fleet was ever described as powerful. But I'll admit I might be remembering that wrong.

Neruz posted:

You're thinking in too human terms; until the Humans arrive Citadel Space tech has been pretty stable for the last ~1000 years. 300+ year old ships aren't as great as modern ships sure, but they're still huge and still have plenty of room to put guns on and there's way more of them than anyone else has because they're carrying around an entire world's population.
Tech level wasn't even what I was going for. More that after 300 years of constant use, the things are being held together by space-duct-tape.
Also the majority of the flotilla were supposed to be non-combat vessels. The idea that if you strap some guns to a really big ship that previously served as a nursery and to grow food inside, you'll somehow end up with an effective dreadnought-class ship is bit silly.
And no: Shep saying "Wow, that's really stupid of you" didn't make it less silly for me. But then I suppose Mass Effect never really thought the whole space combat thing through.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Neruz posted:

The Migrant Fleet isn't described as threatening but the codex often notes that it is a lot of ships and many of them are really big and thus the fleet as a whole is potentially quite potent.
Just because you have a big hull, doesn't necessarily mean it can pack a punch. Sure you can strap some guns to it, but does the ship have a big enough reactor and/or power-reserves to fire the things? Does it have shielding and - again - can it power it? Does it have or can the hull carry armor plating? Does it have powerful enough sub-light drives to move around even with the added mass of the weapons & armor and can it hold the ship steady while it fires it railguns? Where do the Quarians keep their population, food, etc when they've converted most of their living space into weaponry? Etc, etc...

If I reinforce the chassis of a Volkswagen Beetle enough, I could duct-tape the turret of a M1 Abrams on top of it. But it's not going to move with anything resembling speed and will probably collapse after a single shot. Even a large number of these is not going to be a threat to a real tank in a straight up fight.
If you manage to get the drop on the real tank, it might do some damage though. Which I suppose was the intention with Xen's weapon. But that makes the Quarian admirals mindbogglingly stupid for gambling that the Geth didn't develop a counter to Xen's weapon and putting the entirety of the Quarian species in danger.

Like I said before: ME3 handwaves it all with the Quarians going "We've strapped guns on everything!" and by having Shep & Co call the Quarians idiots.
I'll admit that I tend to have a low tolerance for holes like this. It doesn't make the entire story collapse around itself though. The setup for the situation here doesn't make whole lot of sense, but there are and will come worse things to bitch about.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 5, 2014

• Locked thread